Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the range, where my son and I rented a G17 4th Gen and pitted it against my 17C & 17L. It was our first time shooting a 4th Gen, which was an interesting experience, especially against the other two.

In total 300 rounds of American Eagle 115 grain were fired through the 3 guns(100 rounds each) at 5, 7, 10 , 12 and 15 yards.

Grip: The 4th Gen had the slimmest grip "setting" and was easier to get more of the hand around it. The RTF ish grip was very comfortable and it did not hurt the hands at all. That said, my trigger finger crease(where I put my finger on the trigger) did not match up quite the same way as on the 3rd Gen guns. This resulted in me pulling the gun slightly left on some of the shots. My son did not have the same problem and the gun shot straight for him.

Magazine Release: The enlarged magazine release worked well, and despite being very used to 3rd Gen extended releases, I had no problem dumping the mag quickly. My son also had no issues with the release.

Recoil: This is where the contest really got tough to decide. The 4th Gen had as much recoil as the 17C, but the pulse was different, probably due the redesigned recoil spring of the newer gun. It felt sort of delayed, like it was cycling slower. The 17L had less recoil than both due to it's heavier slide mass.

Muzzle Flip: The 17C had the least muzzle flip, beating the other 2 easily. Double taps were almost right on top of each other 90% of the time. The 4th Gen did not do well in this contest, the 2nd shot going about a foot higher. The 17L put the 2nd shot about 4 inches higher.

Accuracy: All guns were tested for 5 shots at 15 yards, the target being a B27HR silhouette(medium sized bowling bin shape in a small silhouette). The goal was to keep the 5 shots inside the bowling pin. 4th Gen was the least accurate(in our hands anyway) with the 17C and 17L grouping 2.5 inches and 1.75 inches respectively. The 4th Gen had probably a 4.5 inch spread, although this of course could be from us not being used to the gun.

We liked the 4th Gen Glock 17 a lot. If I was more used to that grip size, I probably would have shot it better. My son actually preferred that grip size to the 3rd Gen guns. Recoil was minimal, muzzle flip slow fire was a non-issue, although the double taps were disappointing. Accuracy potential was there and the gun had no accuracy issues at closer ranges(5 - 10 yards). I would rate the gun an 8 out of 10 and my son gives it a 9 out of 10.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I tested recoil and muzzle flip between my g19 gen 3 and a gen 4 g19 last night at the range. I could tell no difference between the two. They were identical to me. It sounds like you guys had a fun time at the range. That is all that really matters. Family fun is a big plus. Thanks for the detailed report.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested recoil and muzzle flip between my g19 gen 3 and a gen 4 g19 last night at the range. I could tell no difference between the two. They were identical to me. It sounds like you guys had a fun time at the range. That is all that really matters. Family fun is a big plus. Thanks for the detailed report.
We certainly did. In the past, we have also tested the 17C, 17L and 34 against each other and the 22 against a rental 23. I plan on doing the same test you did with your 19s, I'll let you know my take after it happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts