close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g17 with prefix "EEL" ................CAUSE FOR CONCERN ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kenndapp, Jun 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kenndapp

kenndapp

hello every one i recently purchased an old gen3 2 pin framed glock17 that i posted concerns about in another thread. i checked the serial number last night and the prefix is " EEL " . i remember hearing something a about an old recall involving serial prefixes that start with "E" ........ something about broken frame rails? i even recall reading that guys would never buy a glock with a prefix that began with "E"? did i mess up here? i am going to call glock tomorrow but wanted to check with you guys first so i know what i am about to get into.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I was able to find this on E serial numbers.
    It appears that only serial numbers starting with "E", "GSSF", or "USA" (American Hero’s Commemoratives) are affected. In general, the chronological serial number set that has the prefix letters of "EKA" through "EVR" inclusive appear to be the affected Glocks, regardless of caliber. Three letters precede three numbers on a plate forward of the trigger guard on the underside of the polymer frame. However, some aberrations to this generalization have been reported by GTers. Reports are that the affected Glocks were manufactured from September 2001 to May 2002. So if you bought (or won a GSSF Glock) an "E" or "USA" series Glock in September of 2001 up until the present day, you might have an affected Glock. Unfortunately, Glock has not published a list. Hope this helps, but again, if you are responsible enough to own a gun and can read this, you are smart enough to check for yourself by calling Glock.
    SJ 40

3. kenndapp

kenndapp

when you say " serial numbers beginning with E", do you mean a single "E" followed by numerals (example: E762860)? meaning my "EEL-xxx" is not effected? or does "serial numbers beginning with E" include the letter E followed by two more letters and then 3 numerals? such as my EEL-xxx? do see what i am asking here?

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Ken
    I am not a authority on this but from this statement ,the chronological serial number set that has the prefix letters of "EKA" through "EVR" inclusive appear to be the affected Glocks, regardless of caliber.Your serial # is EELXXX which is prior to EKAXXX so would not be affected but the sure way to find out is give Glock a call. SJ 40

5. kenndapp

kenndapp

Thank you. Thats good to hear. Surely I will be giving glock a call just to be sure. Do they have an email address for customer service? Or is by phone the only way? It has been a while since I needed glock customer service.

6. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

this is all I found listed on their web site
    GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    U.S.A.
    Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
    Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719
    but I would expect they have one it's just not where I looked,I hear folks receive a quicker reply by phone,let us know what you find out. SJ 40

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. SCC

SCC just me

Just call them and they will let you know !!!!

8. kenndapp

kenndapp

i called glock and gave them the serial number. they told me that it didn't need any frame exchange and that it was safe to fire. i even asked if the older 2 pin framed 9mm could handle regular diet of +p ammo just as well as a newer 3 pin frame. the guy on the phone just paused a second and said..... "yup,........sure". well, that's good news. i am still so damn paranoid about this old 2 pin frame ( its my first one, glocks always had 3 pins in my world) i went ahead and bought a new locking block and trigger pin just to be on the safe side. that wasn't necessary was it? total waste of cash?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  9. Russell92

Russell92

No need to worry about the 2 pin frames. I have a 2 pin G17 with serial # stating GSSF (which was not part of the recall) and my first G19 was also a 2 pin. Glock only switched the 9mm to 3 pin to standardize parts with the .40s and .357sigs, not because of a lack of durability in the 2 pin frames in 9mm.

And yes, you wasted your money getting a new locking block and trigger pin, I'm sure the current ones are fine. :supergrin: Enjoy your new G17. :cool:

10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Yep thats what I did, called Glock when I got an "E" prefix G-26, they (Glock) said it was unaffected by the re-call.

11. vetmedglock30

vetmedglock30

My G23 w/ a EWK prefix had the left rear frame rail brake. I have no idea when it broke. I noticed the issue when I was cleaning it. I only clean it every 1K rounds. I drove over to Glock and they replaced the frame for free. They also replaced all the parts in the slide. All for free. I have been running it hard for two years (8K+ rounds) and it is running great.

12. kenndapp

kenndapp

I just cancled my order for a locking block and trigger pin. Picked up an extra mag and extended controls instead. That locking block will probably still be in the back of my mind though.

13. S. Kelly

S. Kelly

You should either sell it for a 3 pin frame or continue to worry constantly about it.

14. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Thanks for letting us know what you found out from Glock,I suspected that was the answer ,me I wouldn't worry shoot it in good health and shoot pinwheels with it. SJ 40

15. kenndapp

kenndapp

i will. im sure its fine. its just my nature to worry about stuff like that. i think i replaced every spring in the gun.........

16. Russell92

Russell92

Glock was making 2 pin G17s for over a decade before they switched to 3 pin. There are 2 pin G17s out there with over 150k rounds through them that are still running strong. My 2 pin G17 was made right around the same time as yours and it runs like a top.

How many rounds did the previous owner say he put through it? If it's going to continue to bother you you can just sell it and get a 3 pin, or see if anyone wants to trade, but there's really nothing to worry about.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

So where does one look on Glock pistol to count the pins? My G17 has two pins ahead of the slide stop.

18. larson1122

larson1122

[​IMG]

19. kenndapp

kenndapp

sounds like you have a 3 pin......the 3rd pin being in the grip (trigger housing)

20. kenndapp

kenndapp

true thank you. i needed that. i have no idea what the round count is....it was a police trade in bought from a online retailer. it looks to be un-abused if that can mean anything.....just some holster wear. i have no idea what i am looking for when it comes to round count. most every thing in the pistol ( springs) has been replaced. the only two things i am worried about now is that locking block and pi ( not so worried about it now) ....and the extractor.........i have no idea how to tell how much life is left in the extractor.