Glock 17 G17 wear spot

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Red Machine, Jun 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Red Machine

Red Machine

I have 2 questions for you Glock experts out there.......
    1. I have a G 17 that has only had 600 rounds of remanufactured 115 gr. FMJ 9mm bullets run thru it. Ammo purchased from Cabelas. Never have had any problems. I was cleaning gun after shooting and upon flipping over the top slide I noticed that there were two small,bright wear spots that felt slightly rough to the touch on the very bottom of the top rail on either side of the ejection port. Has anyone seen this type of wear before on such a new gun.

2. Is it possible to put your G 17 back togeather after cleaning and have the spring/rod assembley above or below it's rightful place (on those little steps and not in the semicircle cut out)and still have it work....?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Red Machine

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

The shiny spots on the bottom of your slide are probably what is known as slide peening. It will normally stop after a while and not get any worse. The spring fits in the groove that is the same diameter as the end of the recoil rod. I never had any problem with the rod moving around while shooting. If you don't have it in the right spot, it may hang up when you try to re-assemble the slide onto the frame.

3. Fredalso

Fredalso Millennium Member

What Bill said.
    Added note: Often, the guide rod base may be in the "outer" notch when you take the gun apart. This also is normal.

4. TX Justice

TX Justice The Sarge

What you are experiencing is called 'slide peening'. This will stop soon and not get any worse. What happens is upon firing, the locking block in the receiver strikes that part of the slide. This does not affect reliability nor performance. After every shooting session you should keep an eye on this area to ensure the metal is not burring (a sharp edge that folds over). This should be carefully filed down if it interferes with the cycling. No worrys mate.

Incidently, I have a new Glock 22 with 1,000 full power rounds through it and have yet to experience any slide peening (I have been told Glock inc. has updated the locking block).

As for the guide rod placement. I personally have never put it in wrong, but have seen a fellow officer put his in on the top notch and the slide would not go on until it was corrected. Attention to detail.:cool: