Glock 17 G17 slide stop lever not catching

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Budshooter, Aug 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Budshooter

Budshooter Rhythmic Demon

Sorry if this has been covered to death before. I did a search, and haven't seen this topic, but surely can't be the only person to have had this problem.

I have a 2nd gen G17, with about 20k rounds through, and no problems up until this point. The only relevant modification that I have is a Glockmeister extended slide stop lever, which has been in place for over a year.

Recently, (within the last few weeks) when I'm shooting and empty a mag, I expect the slide to lock to the rear, but it just goes forward on an empty chamber. It does this consistently about 8 times out of 10, both with old and new mags, so I'm pretty sure that the problem doesn't lie there. I also had a friend shoot to make sure that I hadn't changed my grip or wrist strength, but it happened for him as well.

If I manually pull the slide with an empty mag in place, it locks to the rear as one thinks that it should, making me think that the force of an expended round has some bearing on whether it will lock. I've disassembled, and don't see what I think to be an undue amount of wear on the slide notch or the slide stop lever, but know that microns can make a difference in this kind of an application.

My theories, which may or may not bear themselves out, are one of the following:

1. Too much wear on the slide notch. If so, what action do I need to take? This is the one that I think may be hardest or most costly to fix.

2. The Glockmeister extended lever has worn more quickly, and needs replaced more often, or a stock lever should be put back in. I'm not sure that this is true, and would appreciate any comments regarding it.

3. It's something else that I've overlooked completely.

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts that you may have.

Greg

2. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Look and see if the wire coming off the slide release is under the top pin.

Do you have an extra power recoil spring installed? My first thought was a weak mag spring, but I see you've tried several mags.
    Do you see any excessive wear?

It just sticks out more for your thumb to rub on it, the finish will wear quickly, not the part.

3. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

Are you a "slide thumber"?

4. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

This sounds like inner wear on your slide stop. If you have the old one you could reinstall this and see if that fixes your problem. If not, Glockmeister has them for $18. Since we can assume your followers are good on the new mags and this is happening with all mags then the stop is the culprit IMO.

The cheapest and least invasive thing would be to replace the lever.

This happens with 1911's all the time which is why Wilson Combat makes a fortune on his "bullet proof" forged slide stops.

5. Budshooter

Budshooter Rhythmic Demon

Thanks to all who replied. I'm happy to report that the Problem is now fixed.

Since I'm not a slide thumber, and the GM lever was installed with the spring in the correct location, as suggested, I thought that it was either slide notch wear or lever wear. I had hoped lever wear, since I didn't want to take a Dremel tool to flatten out my notch. ;P I'm brave, but not that brave.

Comparing the slide notch to that of my relatively new G36, I did notice a bit more wear and rounding, but that's what you'd expect from a gun with several thousand more rounds through it.

When I had a day off, I went to the ol' trusty BOX O' PARTS and found the old factory slide stop lever to swap back out. Heading back to the range to give it a try, it functioned flawlessly, catching back after every mag. Examining the GM extended lever, it did show a little more wear than I'd seen in a simple teardown.

As a big fan of Occam's razor, I do agree that the cheapest thing would be the best one to try first, and thankfully, it worked this time. Thanks again to all for troubleshooting ideas.

Greg

6. MrMunster

MrMunster

Greg--

This is why it is called a 'slide stop' and not a 'slide release'. Several of my glocks have at that many rounds through them and none of them show significant wear in the notch area. Probably because I typically only use the slide stop to release the slide when demonstrating how NOT to do it.

Why ruin a quality firearm for the sake of laziness?

MrM

PS. Glad the solution was that simple and didn't require huge expenditures to fix.

7. Michigun

Same here.

8. WarningSign

WarningSign

Hi, just a question..

slide thumber.. what's one of those?

I assume it has something to do with that ^^

Having only SEEN a glock, and never fired one, note location.. I assumed the slide lock lever was used to release the slide when a new mag was inserted.

However you seem to be saying that you DON'T use the slide stop..?
    In which case, what do you do?

sorry for the lame questions! I've probably got the wrong end of the stick as well...
    ;a

9. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

Hi, WarningSign, I'll be glad to answer your questions. A "slide thumber" is a shooter who holds his right thumb very high as though it was riding on top of a 1911's manual safety lever. If one has big hands (thus a longish thumb) this high position may put pressure on a Glock's slide stop, thus keeping it from rising up and locking the slide open when the magazine is empty.

In a life or death situation, the most positive way to chamber a new round is to pull the slide all the way back with your off hand prior to letting go. This will compress the recoil spring the maximum amount. If you just pull down the slide stop lever, it may save a half second, but it is always possible for a sweaty or bloody thumb to slip off the lever. Having said that, just using the slide stop lever will work about 99.8% of the time.

10. WarningSign

WarningSign

Ahh thanks very much for that :)
    I didn't realise you could pull the slide back to disengage the lock.
    Learn something new everyday ;c

11. Michigun

I must apologize GlocksterJeff if that is indeed the correct definition of a "slide thumber", however, I was lead to believe it was something different.

"Slide Thumber" = Someone who uses a "slide catch/stop lever" for releasing of the slide... for an example, when a loaded/fresh magazine is inserted into a gun, one would use the lever to release the slide to chamber a round.

It's my understanding that what you described GlocksterJeff, is what's called "riding the slide catch/stop lever".

12. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

Thanks Michigun!

I guess I stuck my thumb in my eye on that one. To quote our friend from across the pond, "Learn something new everyday ;c"