Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ole lady is having problems releaseing the slide on the new g17.I will be the first to admit it is a ***** and makes the thumb sore really quick.
Is there any way I can get an extended slide release like a 1911?Something that may have a little pad like tab sticking out of it.I just want her to be able to enjoy shooting it.She really is playing hell releasing the slide so please help out.The gun is not a carry gun but a HD and range gun for the both of us

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just brought home the new g17 after work today.She came home and like most of the ppl have told me what would happen it did.Honey let me play with my gun.This is the first gun she has ever had and we got it for a HD/range toy.I want it to be enjoyable for her since she seems to be into it.The more she likes her gun the easier for me to get myself a carry .45 glock.
I should be able to swing a new 45acp glock in january so I need to get her loving that
g17 I just bought.Thanks for the links man I appreciate it

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
I don't use the slide stop lever to release the slide. It's easier, especially under a stress self defense situation, to do the weak hand overhand slide pull. Just pull the slide back a bit by reaching over the top of the slide with the weak hand and grasping with the thumb toward your body. Doesn't take much upper body strength and she will be able to do it on any modern semi-auto pistol.

The extended slide stop lever gets in the way of my grip.... and using it to release the slide will eventually cause wear to the lever and the slot in the slide there the lever locks. Well, probably the slide stop lever would wear much faster than the slide. :supergrin:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
civitas I will have to have her try that out tonight and see if it works for her.I can do it fine by using the release but it is hard on the thumb after a few times of doing it.
I want her to get use to using it and doing everything so if need be she will know and be able to do it.
I doubt tho in a reality that she would need to use all 17 124+p gr GDJHP but I want her to be able to handle the gun safely at the range.I will be working with her for 2 weeks until the 1st of the month when I get paid before I take her to the range.
SHe is starting to get comfortable holding it and aiming but she needs to get the controls down.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
civitas I will have to have her try that out tonight and see if it works for her.I can do it fine by using the release but it is hard on the thumb after a few times of doing it.
I want her to get use to using it and doing everything so if need be she will know and be able to do it.
I doubt tho in a reality that she would need to use all 17 124+p gr GDJHP but I want her to be able to handle the gun safely at the range.I will be working with her for 2 weeks until the 1st of the month when I get paid before I take her to the range.
SHe is starting to get comfortable holding it and aiming but she needs to get the controls down.
It will be easier for her to do the overhand slide pull if she holds the grip close to her stomach and pulls the slide back with her left hand (assuming she is right handed) while she simultaneously pushes the grip forward with the right hand. This sounds involved but it's really simple to do.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I will give it a go tonight and see if she can do it.I told her she needs to know how to do it.I have no problem with leaving the glock loaded but I told her if a jam was to occur she is gonna have to pull back the slide.She will take awhile to get used to it since this is her first time owning a handgun or even holding one.

I am really big on safety,maybe a little crazy to some people.I am confortable with firearms as I have been raised with them I just want her to learn safety first so no-one gets hurt.
I think that some times she gets a lil frustrated,I am really easy on her with learning but safety is always first.She tried to seem comfy with the g17 in hand and pointed it at my leg on accident.I asked her where is the gun pointed she responded in shock oh sorry.I told her that could of been my leg getting shot you need to practice.
It is kinda hard sometimes with her but I don't show her any frustration.She knows what will happen if she pulls the trigger and someone gets shot she just needs practice.

I need to go and get some snap caps since I cannot find my old ones.This will let me know when she is ready or not.I will load a snap cap inside and tell her the gun is loaded and run a lil drill with her.That is how I feel I will be able to tell if she is ready.It is gonna be a long time cometh tho, I know that but she needs to learn as I did when I was just a young boy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts