close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 slide not locking back on empty mag

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by skol, Mar 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. skol

skol

So here's an issue I am having with a first gen G17. This is my beater, It was my first handgun as a kid, probably 10,000+ rounds through it so far.

After the last shot in a mag, the slide doesn't lock to the rear. I've never had any issues and this just started happening.

- All 20 of my 17rd mags do the same thing
    - if you insert an empty mag, and rack the slide manually, it locks to the rear (on all 20 mags as well).
    - I tried 5 different types of ammo.

Any thoughts?

2. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Worn spring possibly on the release lever

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010

3. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

The usual answer is that the magazine follower is broken - but that is pretty unlikely on all (20) magazines.

Did this start after a detail strip? The slide stop can be installed incorrectly and cause problems.

The slide stop spring can be weak/broken. I suppose the slide stop could be worn, but I have seen 50,000 round guns without this problem.

If it is not the magazine follower - I'd replace the slide stop and see if that solves the problem.

OR, it could be operator error, some people "ride the slide stop" eg. holding it down while shooting. This is more likely with the "extended" version of the slide stop.

4. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

...Very likely this. When reassembled, the slide stop tension spring is not installed correctly, i.e. not positioned under the frame pin, thus keeping the slide open.

Do you know an armorer or anyone that can take a look at the pistol? MIght be a good idea, especially if it is "high mileage".

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010