Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit torn between which sights to go with on my next G17.

I can get a brand new G17 with factory sights for $630, or a brand new G17 with Trijicon Night Sights for $680. So a $50 difference.

Now first of all, I have to decide if I even want or need night sights. This is not a carry gun, only a range gun (seeing as I live in Canada). So I won't need them for any low light shooting ever. They are more for coolness than anything really. Also, the Trijicons are OK I guess, but not as quickly acquired by my eyes in a fast draw situation as I would like. Probably due to the fact that they are smaller sized dots, and only a small portion of the dot on the sights is high contrast white paint which stands out more than the Tritium vials during the day. I almost think the "U" on the factory Glock rear sight might be picked up quicker by my eyes. Anyone else find this? I have excellent eye sight, but I just feel the sights should visually stand out a lot more than the Trijicons.

So, I have been thinking about going with the plain factory sight equipped gun, and IF I don't like them, I am still $50 ahead over having gone with the night sights, and can put that money toward some after market plain sights, like the standard Glock steel sights, or some Trijicon steel sights. Don't really care for the idea of adjustable sights myself.

Are there any downsides to the Glock factory sights? I mean I know they are plastic, but do they stay put, and are they durable, or is the 'staking' system used on the front sight kind of cheesey? Is the staked plastic front sight easily removed? Is a rear sight tool really necessary with the plastic rear sights or can you just lightly tap them in with a wood drift or small rubber mallet?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :supergrin:

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look like nice sights! One question though. Is having NO paint on the sights an advantage? I noticed these are all plain black with no markings. Fill me in. :supergrin:

Also what's the difference between the fixed target set and the combat target set? I can't see much of a difference besides the thickness of the cutout on the rear, and the thickness of the blade on the front. Is the thinner blade for more precise shots?

·
Banned
13,711 Posts
I would so go with the Trijicons. I did it just for the extra advantage if I ever need it in home defense.

Thats the ticket! And $50 is CHEAP!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to go against the tide and say that I am happy with the factory Glock sights. The dot and outline are prominent enough that I can see them with my glasses off in a very dim room. I would use the money on ammunition and live with it for a while before deciding on sights. It's easy to gimmick yourself out of practicality.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Faraim,

That's what I have been thinking. I don't quite get the 'no markings' on those Ameriglo sight sets and really like the 'U' on the standard Glock rear sights. I will definitely give them a go first, before I even think of switching them.

·
Banned
13,711 Posts
I like the U too. But I figured, in a self defense position, that little tiny edge might be all I need vs. not seeing something, low light, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IF you want a day time sight for the range look at fiber optic. They glow so bright your eyes can't help but be drawn to them.

www.dawsonprecision.com

I put the fixed wide cut on the rear and .105 on the front.....green rear FO and red on the front.

Dawson sends you all the tools to install yourself. VERY easy, however I used a wooden dowel as a punch to remove the plastic rear sight. The tool provided by dawson slipped off...it is aluminium with a plastic tip. The plastic on plastic just didn't work. Dawson also provides extra fiber optic replacements in yellow and red.

I installed the sights in less than an hour...

LL

·
Sua Sponte
285 Posts
Trijicons are the best and brightest. Others i've used have burned out and I got tired of warrenty thing. I've never hade problems with Trijicons.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,582 Posts
I don't quite get the 'no markings' on those Ameriglo sight sets and really like the 'U' on the standard Glock rear sights. I will definitely give them a go first, before I even think of switching them.
Picking sights is a personal choice kind of thing, not everyone likes, or can well use the same sights.

I've never been a fan of three dot type sights, but I do like the standard Glock sights with the white dot front and white outline rear.

The only thing wrong with them is that the front sight isn't any too hard to knock off the slide....they don't simply fall off or jump off like some folks would have you think, but if you hit it against something, you can knock it off.

That said, my carry Glocks have an Ameriglo (or Trijicon) front night sight and the plastic Glock rear.

:patriot:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I also like the standard Glock sights/sight picture, with several caveats:

First, on my G17 and G21 I've replaced my polymer sights with steel sights, front and rear,
from Glock; for the front sight, I prefer the screw-in steel sight, avail-
able from Glock's Parts Department, which is actually made for Glock by
Trijicon (it's a NON-tritium sight); in addition to being stronger in that it's
both made of steel and a screw-in installation, the white dot is actually
slightly convex (bulging out) which seems to aid in sight acquisition. Price
on both the front and rear steel sights are a massive $10 each.

Second, on my G19, I obtained it from the factory with the Trijicon night
sights installed. Interestingly, the factory-installed Trijicon front sight is a
crimp-on instead of a screw-on, but the set-up is sturdy so far. I chose
the Trijicon nightsights for two reasons: 1) the quality of their tritium inserts,
and 2) because of their qualities as a DAY sight-the white surrounds at the
capsule ends, and the thinner front sight providing a greater amount of "light
bars" when aligning the front and rear sights. I've found that this set-up serves
me quite well for carry, IDPA, and GSSF.

Interestingly, I find that the standard Glock sight set-up work slightly better for me when using my G17 in steel plate competitions; I'm not sure if its because of the larger white dot on the front sight or the "tighter" sight picture with less light bars.

Best, Jon

·
Glockdriver
193 Posts
CCR Race Cut Heinie 3-D night sights on all my carry Glocks (34, 17, 19) and regular race cut Heinie on play Glocks. As your eyes get older (or you shoot more), you will appreciate the wider rear notch and the fast precision they allow. Shooting dots and posts are fine for up close but loose precision at distance and speed. I have used about every sight on the market over the last 30 years and nothing come close to the race cut Heinie. Having said that, picking someone else’s sights is about like picking their wife………

·
"Senior" Member
740 Posts
Get the G17 with stock sights, knock them off, and put XS Big Dot sights on them.

Or, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put Trijicons on my G17. They are my first and only nite sites Ive ever had, but I decided to go with those because they seemed to have a good reputation and the quality seemed a little better than the TFO's I was looking at.

·
Footlong Jr.
1,953 Posts
Tru Glow Tritium Fiber Optic, the best of both worlds.

A red fireball of a front sight in the day and Tritium night sights at night with excellent transition between light and dark.

I've got Tru Glow on my L10 gun and it really made a difference.

I'm putting them on all my guns as soon as my wife brings home more money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts