close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 scores 10-15% higher than G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rustin, May 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Apprentice

Apprentice

I've read of Defoor's observations in a class AAR from a very experienced pistolero. The context is Defoor sees a lot of students shooting Glocks. He shoots a lot of pistol rounds through Glocks. And his estimate is that the 17 on average improves a shooters performance at his class work by about that amount.

In my experience it's valid. And while I love the 19 and we have five of them across the household, I think a powerful argument can be made for a 17 and 26. I am stunned by how close I can perform with a 26 vs a 19. Whereas the gap up to the 17 (advantage 17) is greater for me than the gap from 26 to 19.

2. Apprentice

Apprentice

And the uninformed disregard for a trainer of Kyle Defoor's caliber is one of the primary reasons GT has such a poor reputation in places where guys like Defoor actually participate in the threads. Just sayin'.

Simply disagree and leave it at that.

And Defoor may be the only person known to have shot a perfect 300 on the Hackathorn Standards.

Last edited: May 7, 2012

3. Rustin

Rustin

Great post. I agree with you and I know you from pistol forum. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for your input.

4. Comedian

Comedian

Hey Amplified,
    Only clown here is you. Your about as clueless as they come.

5. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Where did i say someone told me to get rid of anything, people get hero worship with so called "experts" and take all they say as gospel. No need to be burthurt:upeyes:
    If you want a 17 by all means go get one but base it on your wants and needs not what someone else says...

6. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

The key thing to remember is that each person's experience may be different. He may have been faster with the 17 than the 19 but there's no reason that his experience would apply to everyone, or even to anyone besides him other than the statistical chance because there are so many people who shoot Glocks.

7. Rustin

Rustin

My words might have been misconstrued. I wasn't going to base anything off of what somebody says. I found it interesting and it coincided with what I was already thinking. Lighten up will ya? You made it sound like I was saying that only a 17/26 combo will do. I think it's subjective but nonetheless I found this excerpt from this expert interesting. I don't worship experts, but I will learn from them. You can keep on doing what your doing, I'm sure it's working for you.

8. Apprentice

Apprentice

The 19 is a superb do almost everything pistol and I've owned one or more for a long time. But if I were starting out today with no pistols and $1000 I am pretty sure I'd start with a 17 and 26. But you can hardly go wrong with these options.

Attached Files:

9. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Bumping this - @ Rustin the OP...

...did you decide on the 19 or 17 to join your 26?

10. Rustin

Rustin

I'm getting a 17 RTF2, then, at some point, a Gen2 G19.

11. HexHead

HexHead

Ditto. A 19 was my first Glock, then I added the 26 and the 17. 17 always went to the range and the 26 got carried a lot more. 19 is gone now.

12. bam1131

bam1131

FWIW I shoot my 23 better than my 17. I still can't quite figure out why. I'll be spending more time with my 17 now to get them both on the same level.

13. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

I shoot the G19 better than the G17 because I have very old eyes. My eyes like the shorter sight plain of the G19.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That makes no sense to me. Not saying you are wrong, just that I can't understand.

Old eyes often can't focus up close. Longer barrel puts the front sight farther away from you, so it should be easier to focus on.

We should just be focusing on that front sight, right?

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

The G17 has a longer site radius and heavier weight, plus two more rounds.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  16. chaplain 31

chaplain 31

I have a G23 that I carry and shoot IDPA with. It is guicker on the short stages but looses accuracy compared to my G35 on longer stages. I haven't tried the 17/22 size but think they would be better on anything 15 yd or more compared to a 26/27. Of course this also depends to a certian degree on what ammo is being used.

17. biguns

biguns

Interesting. IMO it's the opposite, the smaller the gun the tighter the finger groves are!
    But then I have only tried G17 and G19, although the image comparison seems to agree:
    [​IMG]

btw, I'm getting my G23 tomorrow, to be used in IPSC competitions !!!

/BG

18. GlocK_W0rK

GlocK_W0rK

I've never seen the point in owning a Glock 19. Imho, it's too big to carry and if I want a home defense Glock in 9mm, the G17 is an all-around better choice. For a range toy, G17 wins again. G17 + G26, for me, is the best Glock 9mm combo. Also, the finger grooves on Glock compact models suck. They fit my hand perfectly on full size models, but on compacts, nowhere even close; don't even get me started on subcompacts. Really wish Glock would bring back the Gen II frame as an option for buyers.

19. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I personally like the G17 vs the 19 and shoot the 17 a bit better than the 19.