Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am going to pick up a pistol and having hard time deciding.

I have been looking hard at the G34 but wondering if the G17 may not be a better choice.

I am getting this one for more or less fast target shooting, I will be replacing barrel, sights, maybe trigger.

I know with G17 I can buy longer barrel but sight radius will be shorter but how much of an affect does that have ?

What do you guys think ?

Any opinions

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I would vote for the 34 from your specifications. Longer sight radius is definitely a plus for target shooting.

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
G34's are nice but to me not worth the extra $100,(at least in my area of shops) The G17 will serve you fine. It does for me in IDPA. The G17 can also double as a carry weapon. Use the extra $100 bucks for customizing.

·
NRA Member
2,065 Posts
Handle both first. Some like the 34, but I'm kinda partial to the 17. It seems to point and handle better for me.

·
NRA Member
1,115 Posts
Both are great, but holsters for the 34 are scarce.
I use the same Comp-Tac paddle slide for three different Glocks I shoot in competition, including a 34 and 35... so I never considered it a problem. Perhaps, it depends on some specific type of holster your thinking of?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Just picked up my first G34, I'm liking it, alot.

·
The Ogre
1,746 Posts
I have been waiting on my 34 for 2 months, I think I am just going to go in an buy a 22 or 35 and get a couple of conversion barrels.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am preparing to replace my 17 for a 34. I shot in a tournament for deputy sheriffs, recently. It was the same course we use through out the state for yearly qualifications. 12 of 50 shots are at 25 yards. I have had some in the 7 ring on a b27 target at this range with the 17. I recently borrowed a 34 and shot IDPA. I did much better with it on long shots.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have had a G34 im the past and like it but I got a G17 with a few mods (trigger, sights) and I like it just as much or more and to my the G17 is better balance but that is just me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for inputs,

I guess I need to go put my hands on each one and see how it feels before deciding. I guess in the long run I will end up with both anyway

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
Based on what you're wanting to do, I'd go with the 34.

·
Banned
2,823 Posts
for a range gun i would get the 34/35 models. i like the way they balance in my hand better. heck, i even carry my G35OD IWB about as much as my G19 and it pinches me less.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got my 34 about a month ago and I really like it. You will probably own both eventually so just pick one. I'm already looking at the 17 for my next purchase.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts