close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 or G34

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MI357, Feb 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. MI357

MI357

I currently have a G26 that I have started using for GSSF Indoor matches. Later this year there is GSSF Outdoor match here in Brighton, MI that I am planning on attending.

Later this year I am also planning on purchasing a new Glock and it will be either a model 17 or 34. I would like to here opinions on the 2 and which ones the Top Guns here like better. If I am reading the registration form correctly I can shoot the 17 in AmCiv, AmComp, MastUnlmtd & MastStck. The 34 can only be shot in the AmComp and MastUnlmtd. Is this correct?

Any opinions on what type of target sights to put on either one of these that would be fully adjustable and legal for GSSF competition?

I am thinking that the 3.5# Glock connector and an extended slide release would be modifications I would want to a G17. Any others that anyone would suggest? Can you get a stock G17 trigger down to a 2.0lb pull like the trigger on the G34 and still be GSSF legal?

Thanks for any info anyone can supply - ;c

2. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I have both and shoot both in GSSF competition. My last match I fired the G34 in Unlimited and Competition. The G17 in Master Stock. My G26 was used in the Am Guardian and sub compact catagories.

In the past I used the G26 for most everything. It was my best shooter and moneymaker. I have won two pistols in GSSF competition and both were won with the G26.

Were I to use only one gun it would be the G26. If I were looking for a second gun for the most options then I would go with the G17. The G34 is a great choice for gun games such as IDPA and IPSC BUT somewhat limited in GSSF.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is legal to install a factory 3.5# connector in a G17, but it only reduces trigger 1#, to about 4.5# pull.

I highly recommend AmeriGlo's new combat sight for GSSF. Check them out at www.ameriglo.com

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

if you get the 34 you'll be limited to Comp and unlimited. with a 17 you can shoot comp, unlimited, am civ, and master stock. i wouldn't call my self a top gun or anything like that but i started out with 40s and a 45 then swapped the 40s for 9s. now i'm back to the 40s except for my unlimited gun is a 34 in 9mm and my major sub gun is still a 45.

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just my $.02 - I'd recommend a G17, as it's got more versatility than the 34. I don't believe you need an extended slide stop lever unless you want to play other games with the gun; there are no running speed reloads in GSSF. You can put a stock 3.5# connector in the gun to lighten the trigger pull just a bit, but I find my worn-in 5# connector actually gives a bit cleaner break. Recommend leaving it as is & pour the money into practice ammo, or the one thing you might really appreciate which is a set of black target sights as Danny mentioned from Ameriglo, or a set of Aro-Teks from Lonewolf.

With the G17 you could shoot Am Comp or Master Stock first (smaller fields) almost as a warmup, and then shoot Am Civ. There is much to be said for using the same gun throughout. Then go back thru & shoot Subcompact with your 26.

Hope to see you at Brighton; I was at their inaugural match last year and will be back for sure this year - great bunch of folks and a nicely run match. ^c

;?

6. MI357

MI357

Thanks for all the replies..

FotoTomas ~ Thanks for the info. It is great to know that a shooter can do well with a G26.

DannyR ~ Thanks for the info. I actually was looking at the AmeriGlo sights last night. Is the item #GT-502? Are those adjustable?

ede ~ Thanks for the info- again :). I am going to stick to the 9mm. I like shooting the other calibers but I feel I get back on traget quicker with the 9's.

WIG19 ~ Thanks for the info. Your reply is what I was thinking as well about the G17. For some reason the G34 just screams "BUY ME" as it looke like the perfect target gun. I do like the versatility that the G17 offers though. I have the extended slide stop on my G26 and I really like it so I think I would add that and the 3.5# connector as these mods are relatively inexpensive.

Well...right now I am leaning towards the 17. If anyone else would like to post their thoughts, I welcome the additional opinions.

Thanks ~ ;c

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Buy both...It's a GLOCK thing! :)

8. MI357

MI357

I am guessing that I will probably end up with both at some time. Just not this year....unless.....I win one from either or the GSSF Indoor shoots or the GSSF Outdoor shoot. :)

9. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

Any opinions on what type of target sights to put on either one of these that would be fully adjustable and legal for GSSF competition?

I am thinking that the 3.5# Glock connector and an extended slide release would be modifications I would want to a G17. Any others that anyone would suggest? Can you get a stock G17 trigger down to a 2.0lb pull like the trigger on the G34 and still be GSSF legal?

If you're talking real target sights Bo-Mars are still the best althought the new Sevigny sets look very, very good.

For the Money Ralph Sotelo's "Trigger Kit" is the best trigger/fire control assembly one can buy right now without having to send the gun in.

It's not just light, it's smooth and tractable. Always know when it will break. Truly a great trigger even if it cost 2 or 3x as much!

http://www.triggerkit.com/categoryN...*****Style5&layout=ruby&category*******Style1

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you'll get a differant idea from everyone you ask about sights. you'll find most use heinies, dawsons, or bomars. you need to find what works for you and short of buying every sight made you can look at and try other shooters guns. i use a fixed heinie rear and a dawson fiber optic front.

11. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Buy the G17 and use it to win a G34.

12. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Yea but the upgrade charges are over $100! :)

13. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

I bought my G34 using the coupon that I won at a GSSF match for a Glock and the money the I had won from other GSSF matches. If I can do that anyone can.

14. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

Go with a 17 first, you can do more with it and if you want to latter, add the 34. As for sights, I use both Bo-Mars and the Dawsons. I use the Bo-Mars on my 17 and have the Dawsons on my G30 and 34. Both are fully adjustable which in my opinion is very desirable when reloading and switching from one load to another.

15. MI357

MI357

Well I was leaning towards the G17...but...now again I am not sure.

Here is my thinking on the G34. I am only planning on shooting one GSSF outdoor event each year. I am shooting 2 GSSF indoor events this year and it looks like these reoccur every year. IDPA is also something that I am starting to think about shooting.

So...is it worth getting the G17 over the G34 when the only place I will be able to use the 17 more than the 34 is at the one GSSF outdoor comp.

So I am thinking for the one outdoor event I can shoot the G26 in 3 divisions and the G34 in the other 2.

The real problem here is that Glock makes too many great pistols to choos from.....;f

16. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

If it was me, I'd get the 17 first. You can shoot it as well as a 34 in any of the shooting sports.

For sights, I like the Heinie rear and Dawson fiber optic front. GSSF won't let you lower the adjustable sights into your slide. They have to sit up high, and I don't care for that.

Once you get the sights zeroed in, you won't need to change them again, anyway. Fixed sights are fine.

That sure beats the retail price of a new one.

17. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

BTW, if you want the most flexable gun for GSSF, get a G29 or G30. I think those are the only guns that can be used in every GSSF category.

I picked up a G29 for Majorsub a year or so ago, and haven't had a chance to shoot a match since then. :( Oh well, it makes a good carry gun.

18. rledwards

rledwards Semper Fi

MI357,
    If you are going to shoot any outdoor GSSF matches, you will want to shoot in AmCiv or AmGuardian division as applicable. Those 2 divisions are the only ones that have the random drawings for prizes, 1 for each 4 entries. The other divisions you have to finish in the top 3 or 4 to win anything.
    Go to the www.gssfonline.com web site and look at some of the match results to see what I am talking about.
    And to shoot in either of these divisions you cannot use the G34. So in my opinion the G17 would be the better choice. Then when you get good enough or lucky enough to win a gun, you can use the certificate and upgrade to a G34. :>)

--Lin

19. MI357

MI357

Thanks for all the replies

rledwards ~ That is a good point that I did not think of. Although I will still probably only shoot in 1 outdoor shoot, maybe 2.

I have decided to go with the G17. In fact, I am closing a deal with another forum member for his G17. It is 2 years old...less than 200 rounds....Aro-Tek Adjustable 3-dot sights....total of 5 mags (3 10rnds and 2 17rnds).

Should have it in the next 2 weeks....^5

20. MI357

MI357

Well the Glock 17 arrived this afternoon. Tonight just happened to be handgun night at my local club so I was able to show it off. I got about 75 rounds through it.

It shot great. Not a flaw in those 75 rounds. First two 3-shot groups were 1.5" at about 40 feet. Bowling pins were flying off the tabel all night long...

Can't wait to get to the GSSF shoot.....I gotta start practicing those longer shots though.

Thanks for the advice....;c