Glock 17 G17 or G19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mr_Yuck, Jan 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Mr_Yuck

Mr_Yuck

Hello all,
    I've decided to get another Glock. Yup, sure did. It's gonna be a 9mm too. I'm too poor to buy anything for just one purpose so what ever I get it'll be for both carry and range and a lil IDPA thrown in there for fun. Just can't decide on which one. Damn you Gaston, why did you have to make more then one model! You know I'm the most indicisive person to wander the earth! I know! I'll just go up to the counter and say " I'll have a Glock 9mm." and buy what he hands me. No no that won't do. He'll probably just look at me and say "Which one?" then I'll just stand there with a blank look on my face and my mouth hanging open and he'll figure I'm not worthy of any of them and tell me to go away. Atleast that's how it goes in my dreams. Gesh!

So, help me out! I've narrowed it down to three. No, make that two. The G26 is just a might to small for my taste. Should I go with the one that started this madness? The G17. I tend to favor full sized pistols. After all I carry a G21 concealed daily. Or should I go with the smaller G19? What are the differances in your opinion other then the obvious? I know the G19 would be easier to conceal but I don't think the G17 would be much harder for me.
    Thanks.

2. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

I think you've answered your own question. It's really a matter of personal preference. :cool:

3. Coolknight

Coolknight

I would get a GLOCK 17 as you want to use it for some sports, but to be honest... my wife has a GLOCK 19 and it is also plenty accurate.

So, pick the one you like best.

Regards,
    Coolknight

4. Mr_Yuck

Mr_Yuck

UGH! I was afraid that is what would be said! I like them both but can afford only one. Looks like more restless days (I work nights);g

5. TrybalRage

TrybalRage

Go to a gun store, pick them all up and see how they feel in your hands. If you like the full size, 17 is probably what you'll like (a consistant feel). My hands are small, so I like the 19 - but not small enough for a comfortable grab on the 26.

Try em all!

6. 22highcaps

22highcaps

I have a 17C but I think the 19 gives you a little more versatility in terms of magazine options.

7. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

I ordered the G19 with olive frame this past summer. When I held it in my big hands I have to admit, the 17 fit my hands better. I carry all my pistols, so I was happy with the 19 which is better for concealment. I think for accuracy, the difference will be minimal. I say go with the 19.

8. ElevenO

ElevenO

Ditto what Eddie C said. Get the glock 19 and have fun with it.

9. .40CALJHP

.40CALJHP wise member

hey eddie i was wondering i see alot of people in magazines shoot the g17 in competitions and due very well.do you think the g19 is capable of shooting accurate enough for competition.

10. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

A lot of folks shoot IDPA and GSSF with the Glock 19. Ask Glock Talk's DannyR (GT Moderator) he's involved with it. I think if you decide that you may want to carry someday, the G19 will fill the bill much better for you.

I'm a big guy and could hide a full sized Colt 1911, Sig P220, or Beretta 92. It's just a bit easier, especially when the weather gets warm to hide something a bit smaller.

A half inch here and a half inch there makes quite a bit of difference when the mercury nears the century mark. Meanwhile your accuracy is still there with the G19.

11. cl147

cl147 I dig SIG

I shot idpa with a G19 for a couple years before "upgrading" to a G34...I did very well those couple years.

The only reason I stopped using the G19 for competition was....wait, there isn't a vaild reason. I guess I just liked the G34 and wanted an excuse to purchase one.

I think this year, I'll shoot every other match with my G19, just to be strange. :)

Get the G19, you'll love it.

12. another okie

another okie

A factor not mentioned above is that the grip shape of the 17, the 19, and the 26 are all slightly different, not just in length, but in where the backstrap bulges out. I have a 17 and a 26 - the convex portion of the backstrap on the 26 is much higher up on the grip and actually fits my hand better than the lower bulge on the 17. The 19 is in between the two. So handle all three with that in mind. The capacity gain from the 19 to the 17 is pretty small, but concealability goes up quite a bit.

13. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I've got all three X2. I am really partial to the G17 probably due to my fat hands which feel great wrapped around the G17 grip. The G19 for me pinches my pinky during shooting and the 3rd Gen. finger knobs cause my fingers to bunch up. The G26 is fine since I just curl my pinky under the grip and no finger knobs to bunch me up but it does take some folks time to get used to.

Having said all that, I must admit that the G19 is one hell of a carry gun. Designed for concealment it does just that and still provides a full grip as long as your hands arn't as piggy as mine.

There's no reason why you can't shoot IDPA with it either. I've been recommending the G19 for folks who are knew to Glock or first time shooters that want to buy an auto.

Bottom line is you're in great shape no matter which of the two you go with!

Good luck with your choice.

14. Drastic Plastic

Drastic Plastic Doc Holliday

If you can only have one 9mm, get the Glock 34. Best 9mm in the world save for the $3000 SIG P210.

15. Vincent Black

Vincent Black Need a cup?

Get the GLOCK 19. As you can see in my sig, I have a second gen GLOCK 17. But I plan on buying a GLOCK 19 for summertime carry.:cool:

16. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

I'm in the same position, already have the 35, but would like the 9mm for competition and carry, I'm 5' 8'' and have no problem carrying the 35. I have come into a conclusion, for competition and carry, my choice would be the 17, I could always get the 34 upper later. If I want to carry majority of the time, 19, I agree with the fellas, it is plenty accurate, and could still compete, but already have 33. My conclusion, 17, better grip for me, I sometimes pinch my palm when reloading with the 19, never with the 35. The size difference is very small for me to swing to the 19. 2 cents