Glock 17 G17 Opinions Please

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by N723RW, Jul 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. N723RW

N723RW It's a Dry Heat

I had a G17 a while back, it was one of my first Glocks. I was not accurate with it at all, I could never get the sights adjusted properly (aftermarket night sights) and the gun seemed very unbalanced to me. I since have purchased a G19, G26, G22, G23 and G30. I shoot each of them very well, they all seem well balanced and are a joy to shoot. My dilemma is, I WANT A G17! Please give me your opinions of this gun. I'm hoping I just had a bad experience with one. Thanks.

2. Power Pistol Pete

Power Pistol Pete

Wow, I really am surprised..but then again, not really. Anything mechanical can be a dud, or f*** up. I've had the Glock addiction for many years now & the first Glock I bought was the G17. I've probably put at least 100,000 rnds through said 17 without a hitch or a bobble. The G17 is a little to big for me to conceal everyday, but as a range/camp gun it's perfect. Hopefully you'll get another 17 and have a much more positive experience..........:)

3. C9X19

C9X19

4. azroadrunner

azroadrunner

I would have said that the gun may not have fit your hand right, but since you say that you shot a G22 well... Plus the balance of the G17 should be the same as the G22. Maybe it was a lemon G17 (more rare than gold but possible.) Or perhaps it was those sights throwing you off.

Maybe you didn't have as much experience with shooting Glocks as you do now. -- For many shooters it takes a lot of range work to truly become proficient with a Glock. So perhaps that's it. So you can do one of two things now, rent a G17 and see if you can shoot it well or you can take the "risk" and buy a new G17 and find out. My guess is it'll work out well for you. Face it, you want one and once you're to that stage there's no turning back... ;a

5. Fred Daniel

Fred Daniel

My first Glock was a G17 also and I traded it years ago for a rifle. Then I bought 2 G21 2 G20 1 G30 and now, like you I got the urge again and just bought a mint cond. G17 2nd Gen for $315 and took it out shooting this morning. Seemed like I can shoot better with it now than before when I had just gotton one. Now its a great range gun
    and almost as cheep on ammo as reloading my others.

6. Coolknight

Coolknight

The latest 3rd. Gen 17s are good guns. Suggest you get one with GLOCK night sights and a A-Grip. Mine groups real well, I shoot it at 25m and 50m and it has been plenty accurate, just as good as a P226 and a little better at 50m then both my Beretta's Brigadiers.

Regards,
    Coolknight

7. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

The Glock 17 set the revolution for Glock mania and placed Gaston Glock on the map. Excellent handgun. I was surprised about your asking for recommendations on this pistol. Try it. Then you'll end up buying the other Glocks.:cool:

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I love my G17 so much (CCW 24/7) that my next pistol is going to be a post-sunset G22!

9. N723RW

N723RW It's a Dry Heat

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to pick one up next week and I'll post a reange report.

10. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

My 2nd GEN G17 has about 25000 rounds through it and has never experienced a problem I didn't create. It has been my constant companion since 1993;i ;i ;i

Now, enter my new 3rd GEN G17. I know I will enjoy it as much as I have my 2nd Genny and my other Glocks.

As far as balance and shooting issues, some folks just prefer some guns over others. For me it's the G17 over just about any other gun. Oh how crest fallen I was;1 when my daughter proclaimed that she liked my G19 better and wanted me to buy her one!

GO FOR IT... get a new G17 and shoot it til you're bored! Good luck.

11. cole

cole Millennium Member

I'd chalk that up to a dud G17, you or something amuck with the sights. Our G17 is very accurate with PT NS. Glocks don't fit every user. However, if you've adjusted to other Glocks, I think the G17 is a great all-around choice for a nice shooting, range/plinker. It's our most pleasant gun to shoot.

12. m4arc

m4arc

A G17 is next on my list!

13. Whiplash23

Whiplash23

I just bought a G17 as I wanted a 9mm to take to the range. I own a G23 and a G30 and can shoot both of them more accurately than the G17, but I think it is just a matter of me adjusting to a larger frame gun. Every time I take it to the range I get a little better with it.

14. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Glad you are picking up another one. Mine is my favorite pistol. I am a small guy with small hands but it fits me just fine! Not only is it my favorite range pistol, it is also my favorite carry firearm.