Glock 17 G17 open issues

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrKyle, Aug 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DrKyle

DrKyle

Hey guys & gals,
    I would have loved to do a search on this but search is disabled... I shot a USPSA match today & had several jams - not ejecting properly. My set-up is 9mm major KKM barrel SJC comp, Carver mount for Cmore & the Rhea modified ejector. I don't have my ejection port lowered yet & that is what I think I need to do ... but who do I send it to? Any suggestions? I do like to tinker & have a dremmel... but not going to do this one myself! TIA

2. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

I put my stock in the modified ejector.

3. D. Manley

D. Manley

You're probably right about lowering the port. I run the same setup occasionally with the Carver Hunter mount and Dale's modified ejector solved the occasional "bounce-back" hangup 100%. On the lower standard Carver mount, I'm betting that you're still getting one on occasion.

Before you lower the port though, you might experiment with a different recoil spring weight. I've ran down to 11 LBS with no problem and in fact, "had to" for reliable ejection prior to the Dale Rhea ejector mod. I came back up to 13 LBS with the ejector change and it slings the brass plenty clear.

4. DrKyle

DrKyle

Thanks D... I'll try a lighter spring... I think I am running an 13 in there but not sure. I'll try out an 11 this weekend.

5. Ruffshot

Ruffshot

DrKyle,

Did you shoot at Blackhawk las week? If so that was a nice gun and do not get anywhere near the slide with a dremel. as far as lowering the ejection port.. I have been told that they can do decent work at Hogun here in San Antonio.

6. AusGlock

AusGlock Aussie Glocker

G'day All.
    I run a G17 Open Gun for IPSC here in OZ.

Carver Comp mount with the "New" bevelled C-more mount plate.
    KKM barrel with KKM 2 port comp.
    Lowered Ejection port (lowered 2.5mm)
    Self modified ejector same as the Rhea ejector.
    14lb noncaptured Wolff spring on a Glockmeister S/Steel rod.
    Wolff reduced stricker spring.
    titanium safety plunger.

Shot it yesterday and had random FTE jams every 4 or 5 rounds.
    Replaced the extended ejector with a stock factory ejector and today fired 6 stages of a match with no jams.
    Same ammo. This was 9mm Major Power factor load.

Actually recieved an E-mail reply from Bobby Carver saying that the extended ejector should not be needed if the port is lowered correctly.

I think he may be right, as my gun ran great today.

Hooroo.
    regards, Trevor.
    OZ

7. D. Manley

D. Manley

I would respect Bobby's opinion on this and I agree with his opinion. If the port is lowered, the ejected cases should clear anyway. If you are running without lowering the port, the modified ejector can be a real problem solver.

8. Glockmeister40

Glockmeister40 OAF Newbie

I have lowered my ejection port. I did it with a Dremel and was very careful and it turned out looking good. I also am running a 14# Wolf spring that Mr. Carver just recommended after I told him I had installed a KKM 4 port barell into my G35 Open gun and was having stovepipe jambs. Where could I find one of these modified ejectors because I Still am having the occasional jamb. And while that is OK plinking at the range it is unacceptable in the middle of a match. And that is when it seems to happen the most.

9. D. Manley

D. Manley

You can get them from Bobby at B & B Enterprises. The link will take you to the descriptive page but they seem to have some web issues at the moment with the purchase links down. I'd just call by phone. The image below shows mine beside the OEM:

[​IMG]

10. Glockmeister40

Glockmeister40 OAF Newbie

Thanks I will call Bobby Tomorrow.

11. ede

ede

you need to lower the port to make it run with the competition mount. there's no problems with the hunter mount but i like the competition mount much better. it's pretty east to do and just about any dumbass that can run a mill ought to be able to do it. i've done all mine except the last one i sent out since i was having other work done besides the ejection port. lower it .100" and then rebevel it on the inside. after i'm done i took a dremel tool and smoothed the transition out abd sort of deburred everything.

12. D. Manley

D. Manley

Although the higher "Hunter" mount helps avoid the ejected cases bouncing back into the chamber, it doesn't eliminate the problem if you're also running a comp. On mine running the comped barrel, ejection is so weak the occasional round will still muck up the works. With the modified ejector, problem solved...ejected cases sling clear as if running with a stock barrel.

13. DrKyle

DrKyle

Ruffshot - Yup that was me! Thanks for the props on my gun... I am extremely happy with it given I have done all of the work myself. (I am NOT the most mechanically inclined guy) I am not going to do the dremel stuff, although it did cross my mind! LOL

Not bad... 5th overall & it was the 2nd match w/ the gun & little to no practice in between.

I am putting it in a fedEx box to Steave at GlockJockey.com He said 2 week turnaround so I will probably be shooting production at the next USPSA match at RiverCity Shooters. Besides I need to practice for the West Tx Regional in October. As long as I get it back in 2 weeks I will have enough time to practice a bit before the GSSF match the same weekend as the WTX Regional.

FWIW - the jams I was getting were almost as if the empty flew up hit the underside of the mount & bounced straight back down landing on top of the next round as it was feeding blocking the slide from closing. A quick tug on the slide racker & tip the gun to the right & it was cleared. The bad thing was that it happened about 5 times during the match.