close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 Modification

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jsnowden, Jul 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jsnowden

jsnowden

I have a stock G17 (except my standard trijicon night sights) that I am looking to start shooting competitively with. What is the most important modification to start with for a competition pistol? (Mag well, trigger, etc.)

2. davsco

davsco

from brownells get the glockworx 3 spring kit (lightens trigger pull) and ghost 3.5# connector as well as extended slide release.

also recommend warren/sevigny competition (wide rear notch, fiber optic front).

don't do magwell as it won't be legal in some of the production classes of idpa and uspsa.

then, lots of practice and do lots of competitions for more practice.

i suggest you have 4 - 5 magazines.

you may already have a holster, but i have and like bladetech DOH. comp-tac is also pretty popular. for 3 gun i have and like blackhawk serpa which gives great retention while you're running around but super smooth draws once you depress the button.

3. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Aye, GSSF and IDPA SSP can both pretty much get away with the ghost rocket connector, which is AWESOME. I'd also slick up the internals, what's known as the $.25 trigger job.

If your sights work for you, great. I wouldn't mess with em, especially if you still want to carry it. I'd also suggest some grip tape, like the talon grips. They are fantastic.

5 mags is a good ammount to have, and at least 1 2 mag pouch. I also used a blackhawk serpa when I started, and it was great, but I've since switched to an IWB hybrid.

Get out and shoot! You can shoot at paper all day, but it's entirely different when the buzzer is goin. Practice practice.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

6 to 8 magazines and lots of ammunition and the P word practice. SJ 40

5. Reswob

Reswob

Thousands of rounds down the barrel.

Before you decide it needs fiddling with at all, PRACTICE. Go to the range and practice drawing, shooting, and reloading. Over and over and over. Then go shoot a few matches. A good shooter running a stock gun will outperform a mediocre shooter with a competition gun any day.

6. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

3.5 lb Glock factory connector and polish the internals. You'll be amazed at the difference!

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Agree.

I haven't done anything to my gen 4 17, except shoot it a bunch. Someday I might change the sights, such as installing a HiViz front, but I'm still undecided about that :)

8. mike jm

mike jm

Right! This is the way to go. :supergrin:

9. SARDG

SARDG

Everyone's happy to give advice for a competition pistol without asking what competition you expect to shoot.

The Ghost Rocket is NOT legal in GSSF - only parts that are now made or were ever made by GLock are legal (except basically any notch and post sights are legal).

The Glock minus (-) connector is rated at 4.5 lbs - not 3.5. The connector never changed, only the realistic way of measuring trigger pull changed.

As for other mods in other competitons... that also depends on the division in which you plan to shoot. One small mod can put you in a division with the big boys where Masters and highly-tuned raceguns reside.

I would NEVER start with a magwell.

10. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

I agree with this line of thinking. Never start with something that makes shooting easier.

I made this mistake when I first started shooting. The first gun I ever owned/shot had a MRD on it. I got REALLY good at shooting MRD'd guns but then I would pick up a gun with Irons and it all went down hill...

Same logic with the magwell. Learn to load without one fast then when you switch to a magwell it will be lightning.

11. jsnowden

jsnowden

I might go with a Haley Strategic Skimmer Trigger. Anyone have experience with this?

12. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

I didn't say it was legal for GSSF, I said you could get away with it :tongueout:

Sure, there's armorer inspections at GSSF events, but I hear they're pretty rare. You can always take it back out, anyway. Grip tape, trigger connector, and slicked up insides will keep you legal for just about any production class for competition. You can even bevel the inside of your frame, to not have to install a magwell, but that's also not legal for GSSF, and easily noticeable.