Glock 17 G17 light ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glockitis, Sep 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Glockitis

Glockitis

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice here, I own a 1987 G17 which does not have the new style rails. I'm looking into a light for it but not sure what I have to do. Can I order a new style frame w/rails for this model or is not interchangeble with the new style frame? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ballistic

Ballistic Glock Holiday

3. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

If it was me I would sell your gun and get a new one. It would be cheaper in the long run.
    Pat

4. Glockitis

Glockitis

Thanks for the advice, I have gone further into this project from both sides of the coin and see your point. Now to make a decision, Thx again.

5. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I don't think U can get it anymore, but Glock used to make a flashlight attachment that replaced the baseplate of a magazine.

I've had mine since the 90s. Because of the assault weapon ban, it came attached to a 10 round mag. But recently I swopped it onto a 17 round mag.

Some here have complained about the way it looks, but I like it. I can also use a standard holster. And, my prev experience with an M3 light (that attaches onto a rail)wasn't too great - after 3 times on and off of a Beretta, it started to scratch the finish on the frame.

So, I'm satisfied with this:

[​IMG]

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

The M3 will wear the finish on a frame no big deal on a Glock since you would never tell because its plastic. Heck the guns my M6 is on are work guns and I don't care if they get some character marks. The problem with the mag flashlight is its gone once you reload or if you have a malfunction. Its not a very practical idea and thats why their gone.
    Pat

7. ShipWreck

If I need 17 rounds, then I'm pretty well screwed.

But, you could hold the mag and use the grip people use with a loose flashlight after you finish the mag. So, I don't see a problem with it.

I personally try to keep my guns in good shape. The only gun I don't worry about too much is my carry gun. All the rest, I don't want scratched up.

8. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Besides it seems like you would need some contorted grip to use that thing with it on the butt. I like the M3 as I can use a standard 2 hand hold.
    Pat

9. ShipWreck

Well, U do have to drop a hand to turn it on initially.

Anyway, to each his own. The M3 is cool, I will admit. But I don't like that it damages the frame finish over time. That being the case, this is another option for me. Otherwise, I would have no light because I was unhappy what the M3 did to a brand new Inox Vertec I had bought at the same time as the M3 (I no longer have either).

I also like to shoot with a finger on the outside of the trigger guard. An attached item on the rail interferes with this.

10. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Not trying to be argumentative but that makes it difficult for you to use the light like its supposed to be used. Your not supposed to simply leave the light on constantly due to the bullet magnet factor. Your supposed to light an area for a second then turn it off then move light again, turn it off move. Leaving it on makes you a great target thats very easy to track.

As to the finger on the trigger guard this was taught in the early 80's or so and has been dropped by most schools because its hard to assume quickly on the draw and it can cause you to pull your shots low due to a symathetic responce in your support hand. But like you said to each his or her own.
    Pat

11. ShipWreck

Never new that about the low shooting thing. I seem to do okay with that grip, but I have been using it for so long that it's just become the norm. Next time I go shoot I'll try my grip w/ and w/o a finger on the guard and see if it makes any difference for me. I picked up on it on my own years ago and it's just stuck.