Glock 17 G17 jamming constantly

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by archieuw, Apr 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. archieuw

archieuw

Hi all- i just purchased a used ( but in very good condition ) G17 and have fired about 400 rounds of umc 115gr and have had several jams for just about every ten rounds fired. The jams occur randomly, most being about 3 to 5 rounds into the magazine, not the first or last round out of the mag. ( i should also note that i am not filling the mags to full capacity, just 7 out of the possible ten) The jams are not stovepipes but seem to be the a feeding error, as the jammed round is always unfired, not empty brass cases as in a stovepipe. I have fired other glocks and have not had this problem, so i dont think that i am using a limp-wristed grip, but it might be possible.

My questions to you are: what mechanical issues might cause this type jamming to occur? Are there parts that i could fix easily to solve this problem or, as i am a novice, and do not have a lot of glock experience, should i take my G17 to an armomr to have him fix somthing??

Thanks in advance for your answers. Glocks are truly great guns ( im my humble opinion) and i hope i can fix this jamming problem with your help. Jason

2. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

You might try cleaning and lubing it if you haven't already done so.

Edit: You might also let us know how old the gun and mags are. You might new new mag springs or the feedlips might be bent.....all depending on how old the mag is.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

The ammo that you're using isn't really hot. Weak ammo will exacerbate limpwristing. Try concentrating on locking your wrists and not letting your elbows work as shock absorbers. The advice to clean and lube is also good advice. Why are you downloading your mags?

4. archieuw

archieuw

Thanks for your posts so far! In response to your questions, my glock is a gen3 and shows very little signs of wear. In fact that is why im "downloading" the mags, because the springs in them SEEM hardly worn. I have a sneaky suspison that the previous owner shot it less that maybe 2000 rounds ( a guess, i have no actual idea). However, I have ordered one brand-new factory mag, so i can compare how the used and the new one react ( and hopefully by process of elimination rule out mag problems).

As for cleaning, ive only owned it for about 3 weeks and have cleaned it 3 times. I am pretty inexperenced with cleaning firearms, glocks in general, so i have used the instructions provided on the glockmeister website (http://www.glockmeister.com/gclean.shtml).

As for lubing, im trying not to overlube it, again i am using the instructions provided at glockmeister.com (just 5 or 6 drops, thats all).

Two more questions for all of you wonderful experts: UMC was about the cheapest ammo on the shelf next to remingtion target loads, thats why i am using it. Do any of you have better ( but still affordable- like 10 to 20 cents a round) suggestions?

My second question is does anyone know of any books or more websites with more information on cleaning and lubing ( glockmeister is great, but I would be willing to investigate other methods/protocals of cleaning.

Thanks again guys!!!

5. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

Glockmeister is a very informative website. If you followed their cleaning and lubing procedures, you should be fine. As for the ammo....try the 100 round value pack at WalMart. It usually runs between $10-11.

Don't really know what to tell you about the feeding problem though.

Wes

Edit to add: Winchester makes the value pack.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

You don't need to download your mags. Stick ten rounds in them, if you can.

7. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Are the rounds making it to the chamber? If not, look at your mags. What number is located on the mag followers? I.E. the plastic piece that moves downward as you put bullets in. If they are making it to the chamber but it's still just slightly out of battery, not allowing the striker to engage, it could be that you need a cleaning or a new recoil spring, or the ammo's too weak for your current setup.--JJ

8. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

Try different ammo… sounds like you possibly received some out-of-spec stuff with that UMC… it can & does happen! UMC is “bottom of the barrel” Remington ammo. It is very dirty burning ammo.

Your mags sound fine to me & so does your G17… it sounds like your G17 is fairly new yet.

I know my G17 shoots perfectly being VERY dirty or VERY clean. (It may be possible however that the actual chamber in your G17 is pretty dirty.)

I’d try a different manufacture’s ammo 1st… you’ll need more ammo anyways! ;)

9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If you want a video of how to take a Glock or other guns apart check out www.gunvideo.com

10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Although the UMC ammo doesn't have the best rep and you certainly should try some different ammo (like the Winchester value pack from WalMart or better), I would be checking out the magazines too.

Could be the prior owner took them apart and put the spring in backwards or upside down or something, and if they have the 2183 followers, they could be suspect too.

;?

11. archieuw

archieuw

thanks for all the relpys so far guys...soon im going to try some different ammo and i will let you know how it works.

One question: is it recommended to get yearly checkups for my glock from a certified armorer?

Thanks again guys!

12. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Before Walter chimes in with a statement containing the word "paxil" in it I'll say it first, NO. ;f

If it aint broken don't fix it, and if it does break learn how to fix it yourself. There's more than enough info out there and parts are readily available. If it makes you feel better having it checked by all means, but it isn't really required.

13. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If you live by were they have a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) Match. Just go and take your gun too the armorers table and they will clean and replace any parts, for free

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Amen to trying the Wally World...give us a follow up after trying the different ammo.;f

15. Postman

Postman

Are the rounds getting hung up on the feed ramp? If so, check your followers for a number. They may say 9mm1, 9mm3 or 2183.

If they say 2183, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!

See THIS THREAD and THIS ONE

Then call Glock and get their fax number so you can order some 9mm3 followers.