G17 Generation 4: How much smaller is the grip vs Gen3?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by c223, Jan 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. c223

c223

Has anybody here who has medium to small sized hands found that the Gen 4 Glocks with NO backstrap installed gives them a shorter reach to the trigger? I have small hands and always had problems getting a good purchase on the trigger due to the large grip. I have never been able to get the trigger in the center of the pad of my finger.

Are the new Gen 4's an improvement? if so, by how much?

Thanks!

2. Jakemug

Jakemug

Yes. I handled one Friday at a store and the grip with no backstrap added is noticeably smaller. Especially around the top where your thumb meat wraps around. Almost has a beavertail shape/look they've taken so much out of the top of the grip.

3. kennjen

kennjen

ed's safety guy had taken a micrometer to the grip with the g22. I believe the frame is the same as g17 isn't it ??

4. table

table

i've handled the 17 Gen4 and also have small hands. it comes with 3 backstraps. the middle one is the same as a 17 Gen4. the larger is well slightly larger. the small backstrap is i would say is if glock made a 17SF.

5. tcwhite

tcwhite

I was at the local gun shop yesterday and this is the only 4th gen they had. I wanted to look at it so bad because I'm waiting on the g19. To me the 17 felt like a 19. I don't know if it's me or not but the handle felt different other than the polymids. Really felt good though. They also had an rtf2 on display and it felt solid in my hand. I really liked the grip on both.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520

By how much? 2mm. The backstraps go in increments of 2mm. Part of the reason I got a compact instead of the full size for my first Glock was that I have slightly smaller hands and the full size grips just weren't comfortable. I find the compact grip more comfortable. But I held a Gen4 G22(without backstraps attached) at my local gun store a couple weeks ago, and it fits my hands perfect, even better than my G23. I didn't think 2mm would make much of a difference, it does. I still haven't had a chance to shoot one though.

Without backstraps, it's an "SF" size grip. The medium adds 2mm to return the grip to the same size as a regular G22, the large backstrap adds 2mm more than the medium to make the grip 2mm larger than a regular G22.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. cgv69

cgv69

I think this is going to be an individual type thing because in my case, I felt no difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 with no add on strap. 2mm is very small and I'm kind of surprised anybody would notice much of a difference between the 2.

Obviously the difference is there but it's not a big enough difference IMO

8. BadAndy

BadAndy

It's a very big difference if your trigger finger is just a mm or two shy of getting really good placement on the trigger. I get the feeling I will like the 4th gen G19 more than my 2nd gen because that's my issue.

9. HexHead

HexHead

You'll also like that the finger grooves feel less pronounced than they do on the 3rd gen.

10. BadAndy

BadAndy

That's what I like about the 2nd gens most. No finger grooves!

11. kennjen

kennjen

Here ..from ed's saftey facebook page :

edspublicsafety.com Measurments of the gen 4 vs the gen 3 measured from the back of the trigger guard to the curve of the backstrap.
    Gen 3 = 2.242"
    Gen 4 with no added backstrap = 2.154
    Gen 4 with medium "M" backstrap = 2.245
    Gen 4 with large "L" backstrap = 2.320