close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 Gen4 First Range Trip Ammo Test

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hoghunter82, Apr 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Decided to get back into Glock and purchased a new G17 Gen4. Aftyer everything I've read I was a bit nervous. I ran a test on 8 different 124gr ammo brands. I did the same for my HK P30L so I thought I'd try it on this new Glock. The born on date for this G17 is 3/24/12.

I fired Winchester NATO, Lawman, Aguila, Fiocchi, American Eagle, Sellier & Bellot, Federal Premium Nyclad, and Speer Gold Dot +P. Again, there were all 124gr.

Wanted to break the gun in using the Winchest NATO after a good Ballistol cleaning. Topped off all three mags with the Winchester and started shooting. The first magazine WAS A DISASTER. Every round would either jam, nosedive, FTE, FTF. I began to steadily curse louder and louder as I had to rack, tap, bang every round. Brass was either jammed in the slide or banging me in the face/head. I clearly remember thinking- "Call GLOCK RIGHT NOW". I was so disappointed thinking I got a lemon. Decided to continue and inserted the second mag of NATO afraid of what I'd find. To my surprise, everything went fine. I then shot 125 rounds of the NATO to break in the gun before shooting any other ammo. In fact, the next 40 magazines of all the various ammo fed & ejected just perfect. No brass to the head or face. Some was better than others but not a single issue at all.

All ammo ejected to the right (although some more up and back to the right, but none to the head or face except for that first mag) Here was a breakdown:

Winchest NATO- most definitely the most umphh of the group. These casing ejected much farther than any other.

Lawman 124gr- No issue at all. Great ejection.

Aguila 124gr- Very weak ejection. Powder flash present.

Fiocchi 124gr- Short ejection, but no issues.

American Eagle 124gr (this ammo was the weakest on my HK P30L, but did not notice that in the Glock?). Short ejection, but no issues.

Sellier & Bellot 124gr- Very high ejection for some reason. All to the right but seemd to eject in a higher trajectory.

Federal Nyclad 124gr- old ammo. No issue.

Speer Gold Dot +P this ammo was ejected the second farthest (behind the NATO). No issues.

One thing of note was that the last round of no matter the ammo always seemed to jump in a higher trajectory out of the gun. I gotta say that during the first magazine I was really aggravated. Had I not kept trying I would have given the doggone gun away. I am very happy with the performance on the Gen 4 G17 after that first mag. Maybe some of you experts out there can give some thoughts. I am guessing it just needed a mag to break in. Glad I had the NATO stuff handy. As I mentioned, I did run 40 magazines worth of ammo down the pipe (not all full 17 rounds, mostly 5-10 rounds). Got home and surprisingly the gun was no that dirty. When I field stripped the gun I somehow pulled the trigger housing out of the G17. I had NEVER removed anything like that before and was a bit concerned. I snapped it back in place and it seems fine.

Hope ya'll enjoyed the ammo test and field report. Thoughts, comments, flames are welcomed.

2. 208GunGeek

208GunGeek

Thanks for this! I suddenly have great interest in the Gen4 17 because I put one (an FDE Gen4 17 :cool:) on layaway today at my LGS.

I've been on lots of forums reading lots of mixed reviews about the Gen4 Glocks. I kinda dismissed the thought, that a very recently produced Gen4 (as all the FDE Glocks are), would have any problems. One of the things about your post that catches my eye is the build date of your gun-3/24/12. From what I read, The FDE's were produced about the same time.

The issues that you had with your first magazine are interesting. Do you think the malfunctions were magazine related? Do you think the recoil spring just needed a few rounds to "loosen up"? Were the malfunctions ammo related?

I'm glad the rest of your shots were flawless. I'm very excited to get my 17 in a few weeks. It'll be my first 9mm Glock. Hopefully it's flawless from the first shot!

3. hoghunter82

I don't think it was ammo related at all. I used the NATO stuff as I have had great results breaking guns in with it. I've never had a gun malfunction like that before on every round in the very first mag. But all 39 mags after that were perfect. I gotta believe it was just recoil spring related. But I am certainly no expert. Everything about that first mag worth of rounds was bad- real bad. But the gun got through it and ran flawless from that point on. Really odd. Must be just an initial break in issue. Anyone else have an opinion?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. AA#5

AA#5

Besides the first mag malfunctions, it should be noted that weak ejection = future failures to eject.

5. hoghunter82

There were no weak ejections. I should have clarified that in my review. Just some ammo not as strong as others. I had ZERO dribble out ejections. All threw at least a couple feet. Some threw three feet while others (NATO) threw 6+ feet.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520

Make sure the trigger housing pin is in the frame. With Gen4's, sometimes the people at the gun store will remove the pin and attach the larger backstraps so that people can try them, but they'll forget to re-install the trigger housing pin.

[​IMG]

Without any backstraps attached, the shorter plastic pin is the one you use. Just make sure the trigger housing is pressed down into the frame as far as it will go, and insert the pin. Don't force it, just gently push the pin in while gently pushing down on the top of the trigger housing. You may have to alternate a little between pushing down on the housing and releasing, and you may have to wiggle the pin around slightly to get it to go in.

If you can't find the shorter pin, you can call Glock and tell them, they should send you the shorter pin. It's the same trigger housing pin used in the G36.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. hoghunter82

Voyager- that is exactly what it was. I had taken the pin out at the range fooling around with the SF or Medium backstrap. I never reinserted the pin. Thanks a lot. I ended up really liking the SF so I never put the pin back.

8. venenoindy

venenoindy

I did had some issues when I first got my G17 gen4 but partially was my fault as I polish some of the trigger components, other than that I really like my gen4.

9. Glock40man

Glock40man

Congrats on your G17!:cool:

10. Comedian

Comedian

How many rds total did you shoot?

11. MikeG36

MikeG36

Congrats on your new 17. I rented one so I could try the Gen 4 grip and trigger. It was a very nice shooter. BTW; y Gen 3 G19 loves that NATO ammo. I just picked up the last three boxes at my LGS. ;)

12. rooster626

rooster626

congrats on your G17 i just recently got mine on wednesday and i noticed that yours and mine had build dates in the same month heck it might even be the same date i cant remember. been itching to shoot it all week and tomorrow ill finally get my chance.

after reading your review and the problems you had with the first mag im a little worried that i might run into the same issues. i guess ill find out tomorrow.

13. rooster626

rooster626

finally got the chance to take my glock 17 gen 4 to the range today, fired 150 federal champion 115gr flawlessly, about 25 tula ammo and 25 WWB 147gr jacketed hollow points. out of that 200 all spent brass ejected to the right with the exception of one which hit me in the face because i limp wristed it