close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 Gen4 at the range tonight 1st time.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by James Dean, Mar 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. James Dean

James Dean

150 rounds of speer 124gr lawmen. This Glock is a soft shooter. My son is 15. This was his 3rd trip to the range. He had 2 FTF, I had none. The G17 is very accurate. He shot it very well. I just put it back together after a good cleaning. Let me say one other thing. Thank God for the Glock loader. The mags are tuff to load without it.

2. jayhuh

jayhuh

I'm thinking about a Gen4 17 or 22. I'm hearing that the 17's, with the dual recoil spring are more prone to FTFs due to limp wristing/weak ammo than the 22's, but that the dual recoil spring in .40 has helped with folks using a light attached to a G22.

Since I already have a a 17 RTF and a G35, I may just get a G21 SF RTF instead.

Good luck with your Gen4 17. I'm certain that you will never wear it out. The mags will loosen up after a while.

3. Pizzapie76

Pizzapie76 MI Glocker

Just picked up my Gen4 17 today! I'm curious to see if I have any problems tomorrow at the range. The recoil spring is extremely stiff compared to my Gen3 19. I'm gonna try some hot loads and some light loads and see what happens. I'm also gonna use it inan IDPA match on Sunday! Congrats to you and your son on your new Glock!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

I have a G22 Gen4. I had 8 stove pipes and 1 FTF within the 1st 400 rounds. It appears that the double recoil spring needs to be worked a bit to be "broken in". I wasn't buying it until I passed the 400 rounds mark. I have shot the last 700 rounds without one problem. Now I'm happy I bought the GEN4, but I was very unhappy the 1st 400 rounds.

Pizzapie. Where you shooting? I shoot at Silver Bullet 2-3 times per week. If you want to check out the G22 you can give it a couple squeezes. I also bought a G27 last week too.

Jason

5. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

Opps! forgot to subscribe to this thread

6. James Dean

James Dean

Jason I don't know about the G22 .40 but the G17 is a very soft shooter. I'm 99% sure the FTF was my son. I'm still thinking about a G22 but the price of ammo I don't know. Jason how is the recoil with a Gen4 G22?

7. JBP55

JBP55

I have 3,700 flawless rounds through my G4 G17.

8. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

I don't think the recoil is that bad. More of a blast straight back than tip up. Unfortunatly I haven't shot a GEN 3 G22 to compare it to. The G27 is a very brutal POP and you know you have a fairly large caliber gun when you squeeze the trigger. The shorter barrel and the shorter grip makes it feel more violent than it really is. I choose not to add the pinky extension because this is a carry gun and I shoot it how I carry it.

Jason

9. DarwinOSX

DarwinOSX

I have no idea why anyone needs a loader for Glock magazines. Never been a problem.

10. TZZ

TZZ

Are you serious? It's just another cheap, worthless, factory issue loader.

Try an Uplula loader for MUCH better results:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  11. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

Congrats on the 17. Did you happen to mess around with the extra back straps (I think that's what they're called)?

12. BigBadAllis

BigBadAllis

I guess needing a loader depends on how much you shoot. I will say for a fact my magazines for my Glock 22 at stiff and take a decent amount of pressure to load them. I don;t have soft girly hands, but after loading 150 rounds or so the tip of my thumb and index finger will be sore without a loader. I typically will shoot 150-200 rounds every time I go to the range.

My final thought on this quote: If a loader is available, why not use it.

Jason

13. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Try loading 31 rounds of .40S&W w/o the loader in this:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing I love mine: It only had two stovepipes, because the wife was limpwristing...
    [​IMG]

14. Larry V

Larry V

My Gen 4 22 shot great right out of the box!!! Very happy with it thus far

15. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

Brand new mags can be a pain to load the last one or two rounds. The loader is definately a help in that regard untill you work that spring in a bit. During a nice long range session the loader is a nice thing to have. Saves some time loading.

16. James Dean

James Dean

I find the grip to be nice without using the med, or the large.

17. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

Boy is that a fact. I bought a generation 4 Glock 17 Monday and took it to the range Tuesday. I brought a friend of mine with as well.

Just as a setup the girl I brought is 5' even and built small all the way around. She handles a .45 no problem though. When I fired the 17 I had no issues. I went through 200 rounds without a single failure. The second she tried to fire it there was nothing but failures. The new duel recoil spring must require quite a bit of force behind it to prevent feeding failures. After seeing that I strong suggest everybody try one of these before buying them.

18. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

That's why I bought mine.

19. James Dean

James Dean

I agree. I rented a G17 Gen3 before I bought a Gen4. I like the feel of a Gen4 better.

20. jack76590

jack76590

Seems like a lot of reports of Gen 4 dual recoil spring in 9mm model glocks causing failures at rates far in excess of Gen 3 9mm model. But I have to wonder if this will really be a problem. I suspect wolff and others will come out with dual recoil spring kits where you can vary weight. I would take this approach over having to "break in" dual recoil spring every time it is replaced.

Still if this is in fact a problem Glock should have addressed the problem by not having one recoil spring for both 9mm and 40 cal models. How much would it cost Glock to stock two weights of recoil springs? Not much I suspect. Case of penny wise and pound foolish.