G17 gen 5 trigger not resetting

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by COmedic, Sep 26, 2017.

1. COmedic

COmedic

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any help/ advice. While shooting today I realized my very new Glock 17 gen 5 trigger would not reset when releasing the slide via the slide stop. The full scenario below:

1. Put in a full magazine, pull back and release slide
    2. Trigger resets forward and I proceed to shoot
    3. Magazine is emptied and slide locks back
    4. Empty magazine is released; replaced with a new, loaded magazine
    5. Release slide via ambidextrous slide stop
    6. A round is chambered, but the trigger does not reset forward again, therefore I cannot shoot

In this same scenario when I replace with a new mag and "slingshot" the slide, the trigger resets and i can shoot.

The only changes I have made to the firearm are new sights as well as reversing the magazine release. I did, however, disassemble the lower today in order to clean it. In doing so the trigger bar came apart from the housing. I put it back together without any further thought and went on with my day. Thoughts on what is causing my issue?

2. COmedic

COmedic

Solved the problem, the trigger bar wasn't replaced properly into the top of the trigger spring. Look at the brains on me...

3. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Disassembling the lower/frame to clean it is something you need to do about as often as you renew your driver's license. Glad to hear you figured out the issue.

fastbolt, ChrisJn and COmedic like this.
  4. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

I forecast that this will be the number one mistake in the future when owners strip down and re-assemble their Gen 5 Glocks

fastbolt likes this.
  5. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

This is how it should fit.

[​IMG]

6Actual, heavyduty, John_AZ and 2 others like this.
  6. Nnobby45

Nnobby45

Chris & Comedic thanks.
    My Glock G5 19 was ready to go back on Mon to get repaired. In my case, I replaced the dot connector with a 5.5 because I like a bit heavier pull. The cruciform fit back in very easily but wasn’t right since it was on top rather than under as you show in your pic. The gun will operate normally as long as the trigger is pulled when the slide operates, but won’t reset all the time when operating slide with finger off trigger such as when dry firing or trying to load. Usually won’t reset is a better description. Hats off, wrong reinstallation is very easy to do. Thank you!
    Nolan

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    John_AZ likes this.
  7. John Burridge

John Burridge

I just had this issue of the trigger not resetting as well- I had installed an Overwatch Tactical TAC trigger and had somehow attached the trigger spring to the new trigger bar upside down or backwards or something. I decided to re-install the trigger (there's a link to a YouTube video on the Overwatch Precision site) in case that was the problem and it DEFINITELY was the problem, which is now solved. Something else I learned from the guy in the video was to re-install the Glock pins from the right side to the left side (the opposite of how I removed them) and when I re-installed the trigger pin (the big pin that's last to go back in) I heard a click when it seated itself that I hadn't heard when I had previously put the pins back in. That could be the right to left installation technique or it could be that I previously had the trigger spring improperly installed. Either way, the gun works now. I joined GlockTalk just now to share this- I hope this info helps somebody!

Nnobby45 likes this.
  8. Nnobby45

Nnobby45

9. Leo_

Leo_

Just got my brand spankin' new G19MOS in the mail. Never fired (maybe at the factory..?) but the store installed a minus connector. I dry fired it a few times and found out that the trigger did not allways reset. Malfunk in about one out of ten times. Because I bought it from a store half a days drive away I couldn't just pop in so instead of returning it I started investigate it myself. I did find the problem, the trigger spring was turned a quarter of a turn off. The seller said it had to happen at the factory, not when changing the connector, I'm not speculating. I turned the spring back in place and dry fired it flawlessly 500 times, case closed :)
    Here's how it looked when I took it apart.

Trigger spring.png

Bluescot likes this.
  10. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Nice to know but you realise OP is talking about a Gen 5 which has a very different trigger mechanism set up to yours?

11. cciman

cciman

Disassembly (and/or fitting of non-standard parts) almost always precedes a malfunction....true not just with guns.

John_AZ likes this.
  12. ucrt

ucrt

13. ucrt

ucrt

Let me try this again...
    Here are a few pictures of what the incorrect installation will look like...

View attachment 422336

1 Gen 5 End.jpg

14. cciman

cciman

Talk about a useless more confusing attempt to post pictures where the one in focus is the "incorrect" assembly, and the one out of focus and poorly described is still the incorrect assembly.

ffg likes this.
  15. hunter3705

hunter3705

I realize this is an older post, but I recently bought a pristine, used G17 gen 5 and was having the same problem. Thank you very much for this simple, but not so obvious fix. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the reason the first owner of this pistol sold or traded it. He was probably having intermittent failures of the trigger to reset, decided it was a lemon, and rid himself of it. Thanks again, you saved the day!

16. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I had the same problem and this picture showed me how to fix it. Thank you

17. SAR_Swimmer

SAR_Swimmer

Hey guys. First post. Hate that it has to be on this thread. I have had several Glocks over the years and I just bought my first gen5. That said, I did not connect the trigger spring to the bar correctly as shown in this post. I went to the range and put about a 150 rounds down it. For the most part it worked. The trigger did not reset several times and the pull seemed heavy. I corrected the problem after finding this post. Here is my question: Mechanically speaking; did I mess anything up? What did it do not having the trigger spring connected? Is there anything I need to check for proper functioning. This is an EDC and I don't need any issues. Thank you for your time and feedback.

-Al

18. SAR_Swimmer

SAR_Swimmer

19. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

You don't need one! You described the symptoms which you get when you assemble it incorrectly and you fixed it! Well done.
    You would be amazed at the number of owners who have made the same mistake. Only yesterday I had a police firearms instructor, who is also a Glock armorer, say to me he did not like his new Gen5 19 because the trigger was heavy despite putting an aftermarket connector in it. I took it apart and sure enough he had failed to re-assemble it correctly producing exactly the same symptoms you have described

SAR_Swimmer likes this.
  20. SAR_Swimmer

SAR_Swimmer

Thank you. I just didn't know after running about 150 round through it with the spring not attached somehow damaged the connector, trigger bar, etc. Again, thank you for your input.