close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 Gen 4 Range Report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tactical23, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tactical23

Tactical23

After waiting far to long for my G17 to show up (2 weeks) I finally picked it up yesterday and went to the range. I put 100 trouble free Sellier and Bellot 124gr FMJs through it.

Bottom line, I'm loving this gun. I need more range time as my groupings are off to the right a bit, but this gun is awesome. I did note one distinct brass to shoulder incident. I haven't had any to the face... yet. Most of them ejected about 45 degrees to my right.

As far as the texture. Yes it is a bit rough. In cleaning it and general (unloaded) handling it did seem to "scrape" up my hand. When firing, I did note it seemed a bit rough. I quickly got over that and enjoyed the rest of my range time. Perhaps if I'm shooting it for extended periods of time I would want a pair of gloves, but for what I plan on doing with it I think I will just tough it out. It's not that bad.

The only things I think I really want to do so far is the extended slide stop lever and night sights. I liked the way the extended lever felt on the models I held at the LGS.

I think I've been bitten by the Glock bug.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'm guessing you are a lefty :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

3. Tactical23

Tactical23

Nope, just special. Haha.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G17.

5. dave109

dave109

My 17 Gen4 also loves the Sellier and Bellot. I never tried the 124 gr though.

I fired the sellier and bellot after shooting 200 rnds of cheap stuff. the difference is night and day.

Congrats on the 17!

6. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

My Gen 4 G17 does well with 115gr Speer Lawman, which is cheaper than WWB from Walmart if you order from sgammo.com.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Glad to hear your G17 is functioning fine. The ~dozen guys and gal I shot next to today had no problems with their Glock 17s.

8. jrpro130

jrpro130

Good to hear, I'm loving my g17...I didn't think the texture was rough at all, infact I put Talon rough texture grips on it. My brass exits about 4 o clock consistently and I do get quite a bit to the shoulder, I have 700rds through it.

9. Glock40man

Glock40man

Congrats on your G17!:cool:

10. briang2ad

briang2ad

The rough texture IS what a Glock needs. It makes gripping the gun MUCH better than the Gen 3 and other plastic guns (Walther, Smith, XD, etc.). It is also not quite as aggressive as the RTF versions.

Why an extended slide stop???? A slide stop is useless, except for MAYBE getting hit by the thumbs and making the best feature of an auto (locks open on last round) inop. Making it larger can induce problems. Learn to slingshot the slide on a reload and increase reliability.

11. jrpro130

jrpro130

I have extended slide stop on my glocks too. It's all preference. In thousands of rounds I have not had a problem with reloading using the slide stop. I do slingshot when training but mainly at the range and just shooting around I use the slide stop. It's good to practice in case I need to use the slide stop in case of injury etc. But I find it faster for me and also more efficient to use the stop.

I will say the reason I also tend to do it is I find it to be less motions during reloading. Which I'm all about. I always try new things when shooting.

Imo it is better to slingshot due to the fact it's the same motion for dry reloads, tap/rack/bang, and malfunction clearing. It's just my preference to use the slide stop during target shooing. Just being lazy I guess.

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk

12. Tactical23

Tactical23

I had an XDm .40 and that thing felt so slick, especially in comparison to the Gen 4.

Personal preference. I like the way the extended release feels. It doesn't get in the way of my grip either.

13. Bob45acp

Bob45acp HandgunWorld

I agree 100% and it's the method I teach in every class. Plus, my problem is that I tend to unintentionally ride the slide stop when shooting, therefore releasing the slide when I don't want to and the gun doesn't go to slide lock when I'm out of ammo. So I stick with the standard slide stop from the factory.

Just practice.

14. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Congrats on getting the best Glock!!

15. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Because the slide stop is always faster. Hit it with your thumb after you have reloaded. Less motion = faster application. Make the gun work for you and not you for it.

16. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

If you think the texture is rough, some carry and shooting and it wont be as bad. It doesn't wear out and get smooth like the Gen 3 texture though.

17. jrpro130

jrpro130

It is absolutely faster, I just am of the theory to practice like you play. The slingshot method is the same motion for tap/rack/bang, malfunction clearing, loading, unloading, etc. I DO use the slide stop occasionally, I do like to have options, BUT I prefer slingshot unless I'm speed reloading. IMO it's good to be well versed in both. When the time comes, you revert to your training.