close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 Gen 4 range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by high ground, Apr 30, 2012.

1. high ground

high ground

Finally was able to get to the range to see if my G17 has the dreaded gen 4-itis. I broke this down by ammo type and shooting position.

Mags 1-3 Aguilla 124gr. Normal grip, modern isosceles stance, cadence around 1 shot/sec.
    Mag 1- 2 rounds hit my right elbow. All others loaded, fired and ejected fine.
    Mag 2- No issues.
    Mag 3- 2 rounds hit my right elbow. All others loaded, fired and ejected fine.
    Mags 4-6 Georgia Arms 124 gr. Normal grip, modern isosceles stance, cadence around 1 shot/sec.
    Mag 4- No issues.
    Mag 5- 1 round hit my elbow. All others loaded, fired and ejected fine.
    Mag 6- No issues.
    Mags 7-9 Georgia Arms 115 gr. Normal grip, modern isosceles stance, cadence around 1 shot/sec.
    Mag 7- 1 round hit my right elbow. All others loaded, fired and ejected fine.
    Mag 8- No issues.
    Mag 9- 1 rounds hit my right elbow. All others loaded, fired and ejected fine.
    Mags 10-18 I tried to use grip or position that tend to induce malfunctions.
    Mag 10 Aguilla 124- Rapid fire; 3 to 4 shot bursts. 2 rounds to the elbow.
    Mag 11 Aguilla 124- Weak hand only. No issues.
    Mag 12 Aguilla 124- Strong hand only from retention, loose grip. 2 double feed. Ouch, only stoppages I had.
    Mags 13-15 G.A. 124- Same positions as with the Aguilla. No issues.
    Mags 16-18 G.A. 115- Same as with the 124 except 1 round ejected straight back between my elbows. NOT TO THE FACE.

My gun was test fired in March and has the 30274 ejector and 042 RSA. Not bad. only 2 stoppages out of 400 rounds= .5%. The minor ejection issues don't concern me. I think that once aftermarket springs become available I MIGHT go to a lighter one.

I also tried the different backstraps. Mags 1-9 were the 2mm and mags 10-18 were with the 4mm. I shot better with the 4mm. It feels similar to the reach on my G21SF, just narrower. And I shoot that better than my other Glocks.

Oh, and this was straight out of the box. Not even a wipe down and lube.

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:wow:, now thats what I called a detailed report. :wavey:

:50cal:

3. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

A. why would you shoot a gun straight from the box w/o a clean & lube to remove the packing grease/oil?

B. did you even watch/hit the target or were you totally obsessed with watching where your cases landed and then writing down each perceived aberration? This is beyond anal retentive.

4. njFFRescue

njFFRescue

Excellent report. Thank you!

Im between this, a G23 Gen 4 or a G26 Gen 4.

Just picked up a G19 Gen 4 and loving it.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the report.

6. high ground

high ground

A. To see what it would do. They are lubed at the factory. Unless they are shooting them dry! I wanted to see if Glock is turning to Crock. Also to do as much as I could safely do to induce the problems that so many gen 4 owners seem to be having. Pretty sure there is a large population of gun owners that buy a gun, go straight to the range and run a box of ammo through it, maybe clean it afterward, then put it in the closet until it's needed.

B. You don't need to stare at the ejection port to observe where the brass is going. When they hit you it's pretty obvious. I was shooting at IDPA practice targets at 10 yds. Good hits. The only shots out of the down 0 or 1 were the strong hand from retention.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. Leesan

Leesan

A. Glock build their rep from being reliable out of the box, and many people actually advise shooting it with factory grease in it out of the box

B. So what if he's paying attention on the ejection of the casings? It's his gun and the model have recent history of ejection issue.

I for one, enjoy the detail report, glad the ejection problem is only minor on the most recent Glocks, and congrats to the poster for getting a fine firearm.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Congrats! Thanks for the report!

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Thanks for the informative report.

10. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Way to go, man! Glad that you're having fun with the new Glock. Good report.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Why would you replace the spring soon? This one will break in more :)

12. Ranger45

Ranger45

Great report, very informative. Getting excellent results from my Gen4 G19 as well.

13. high ground

high ground

That's why I added the MIGHT. Time will tell. I got this to be my IDPA gun for SSP, and maybe ESP (once more aftermarket support become available for the gen 4). Right now I'm shooting my 22 in SSP and wanted a little less recoil and the larger grip.

14. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Excellent report! Thank you for the information.

Posted from my iPhone

15. bam1131

bam1131

Why does Glock tell you to leave the copper lube in as long as possible? Are they wrong in their own manual? If so, maybe someone from GT should go tell them how to run their company :rofl:

BTW this^ is a joke for all you serious GTers

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  16. high ground

high ground

Just to follow up. Shot a local IDPA match tonight. About 70 rounds or so, some from retention position. Not a single malfunction, weak ejection, brass to the arm or anything. I brought my uber-reliable Gen 3 G19, for a backup, just in case, but didn't need it. Using the large backstrap I felt that it pointed very naturally for me and didn't have to muscle the gun at all. Only down 3 points for the whole match. Now if I could just stop watching for the holes to hit before firing the next shot, my times would drop dramatically. Ammo was Georgia Arms 124 gr. "NATO"

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. Radian

Radian

not for nothin' but the LAST thing I notice under the timer is where the brass goes.

My suggestion shoot more under the timer, you will find ejection to be about as relevant to your shooting as the current market value of half and half in ****et..

I never even saw brass until i started reading these forums.

18. ken grant

ken grant

If you don't see the ejecting brass, you must be blinking.
    If eyes are open, you can't miss it.

Maybe not where it goes but can't hardly miss as it comes out.