Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mostly moved onto gen 5, but I still have some gen 4's, so here's my initial thoughts on this G17 gen 4 Magpul magwell...

Pro's - It's surprisingly sturdy (I've seen plenty expensive ones that aren't), very lightweight, very inexpensive (new on ebay $23.99 shipped), zero initial snag concerns OWB carry, or even IWB carry, doesn't interfere with *my* grip, and seems to do its job pretty well considering how low profile it is - however, I just installed it last night and only did a little bit of dry fire practice. Due to it being a polymer, as it gets beatup, no worry about some kind of finish breaking down exposing raw (shiny/reflective/corrosion) metal. And, if it breaks, or I decide I don't want to use it - not a ton of money wasted.

Partial con - even though it's for a G17 gen 4, this one is NOT compatible with any of the gen 4 back straps. I say "partial con", because even though I have pretty big hands, I choose to not use any of the larger back straps on gen 4/5 Glocks, so it's irrelevant to me.. But, I understand this will be a con to some. I am not sure about the status of a back strap compatible magwell from Magpul. However, for the "modest" price of $135 (lol), you can get one that is back strap compatible from Salient, or from Agency for $110 (also, lol... Yeah, thanks, but no thanks. Not worth it, IMO). However both of those will likely have larger exterior dimensions (potential snag concern), and likely add noticeable weight - something to consider.

"Con" - not the prettiest thing in the world.

Actual con - with standard magazine base plates, OEM, Pmag and ETS, you'll have less area on all sides of the base plate to grip and strip the magazine out, should you encounter a malfunction requiring you to strip the mag out. I think I could probably still get enough of a grip to strip the mag out if I needed to, but something to be aware of.

Easiest workarounds for that issue are using extended/weighted base plates, or larger capacity magazines. Pictured - one is some random no-name on a factory 10 round magazine (the smaller base plate of the two), and the larger one other is a brand name product on an ETS 17 rounder (PM me for details). I would imagine that added capacity base plates will probably work just fine too (like TTi, Hyve, etc). The third is a 21 round Pmag (I have a few 21's, (17's and 15's too), and all have been working flawlessly for me). And all drop free, as they should.

There could be additional "cons" discovered in the future, but for now, that's all I got. I'll definitely give this a try next time I get out to a training class. I'd also say this magwell probably gives a little more mag guidance compared to what you get with a gen 5 WITH a quality grip plug installed, but it also has slightly larger exterior dimension too. If this magwell stays the course of working well, perhaps I'll keep this 17.4 long term, and turn it into some kind of heavily modified "fun" gun or something.

Here are some pics of the magwell installed (ignore my dead skin stuck in the texturing, I missed a couple spots cleaning it off, lol):

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun
Gadget Everyday carry
Product Technology Electronic device Gadget Cable
Vehicle Car Auto part
Vehicle Fashion accessory Car Bag Baggage
Revolver Trigger
Gun Trigger Muffler Revolver Metal
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Little update I almost forgot to add: I managed to brave the cold at an outdoor range on the 1st (start the year off right with some shooting). I got through like 220-230 rounds before I couldn't feel myself anymore (it was like -5 not including windchill). I tried to make a conscious effort to reload with purpose (at speed). Probably reloaded 10-11 times from empty. I used mostly standard, unmodified, OEM G17 mags (because I have the most of those, and charged all my magazines before I left my home - where it's warm, haha), and couple 21 round pmags. No complaints or issues to report. It did its job - definitely well enough to justify recommending others to spend money on it, and give it a whirl, IMO. I'll use it again in an actual class - things are less "static" and potential failure points are more likely found, etc...

I'm not going to compare it to the gen 5's. I personally think gen 5 is worth purchasing/trading up for/etc., for the trigger alone. Getting a built in magwell (that works well, and even better with a quality grip plug) is more or less a bonus. And no, the cutout on the bottom of the front strap doesn't cause problems - even with gloves on (flare that pinky finger a little when reloading if you need to (G26/27/30/etc. style) - the complainers need to actually go shoot gen 5's...

For the people that can't/won't "upgrade" for ______ reason, have a gen 3 or 4 G17/22/etc, and want a magwell.. I think this option from Magpul might be a pretty solid choice. Again, my sample size is a whopping size of one, so take it for what it is.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Agree with most everything you’ve said here. However, this will not work with the hyve extensions. It will work with Pearce grip extensions, taran tactical, barracuda tactical and shield arms base plates.

Like the poster before me said, it seems to lock my hand in place on my 19. I’ve taken it off after a few months of use and my grip doesn’t feel the same at all.

It doesn’t snag either. Doesnt add a ton of length or width. Magwells usually cause printing but this one didn’t give me any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
991 Posts
I installed one on both my 23.3 and 19.4. I like the way it looks, feels and works.

I did have to take my Dremmel and remove some material on the well. Now it works with my 19 backstraps and ejects all my mags well, even the Magpul mags.

Really not a bad piece

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.