Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I owned a G19 Gen 3 for several years, and competed with it in Speed Steel and GSSF for one year. It was wonderfully reliable, but unfortunately I sold it last year (long story).

Now I'm thinking of getting back into Speed Steel and also trying USPSA with a new G17 Gen 4. I'm wondering:

* Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of serial numbers or build dates so I don't get a glitch-y G17 Gen 4? I've read about some of the issues with the earlier Gen 4's.

* For those of you who have small hands, do you like the new grip in its smallest form (no backstraps)? I have smaller hands and the Glock grip always felt block-y to me, though it shot pretty well for me.

* Anything else I should be aware of on the G17 Gen 4's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
In 2011 Glock started installing the "." connector in Gen 4's. This provided a trigger pull that is a little less than 5.5 pounds. A "-" connector in an unmodified Gen 3 will provide a lighter trigger pull than the same "-" connector in an unmodified Gen 4.

FWIW, I prefer the grip of my Gen 4 34 without a blackstrap over the grip on my Gen 3 17. The Gen 4 is about perfect for my average size hands.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
myriad_one,

I compete in GSSF using a G17 (Gen 3). I have shot the Gen 4 and Buckshot Berry is correct. I much prefer the Gen 3 trigger.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
"The Gen 4 is about perfect for my average size hands."

I put a Hogue Handall rubber sleeve on my Gen4 G17 (I have them on all my Glocks except for my Gen4 G26 and G30SF, which I carry, and don't want any added grip thickness).

I've found the Gen4 G17 to be a great shooting gun. No glitches to date, and no BTF issues at all. I just wish I could find several more 17-rd mags for it that are in my price range. I haven't changed any of my Glock triggers, as I've decided to just shoot them and the trigger pulls will improve over time, just as my 25-year-old Gen2 G19 has.

I really like this gun, but I don't shoot competitively.

Regards,
AK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts