Glock Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my stock G17 Gen 3 and added : Warren Tactical sights , a factory extended slide lock release , a Vickers extended mag release and finally a Hogue slip on grip with palm swell to aid my big hands . The trigger with stock connector continues to get better with rounds fired - I'm usually pretty amped up shooting IDPA any way so first shot more heavy trigger pull is negligable in feel to me as I go straight to short trigger re-set after the first shot any way ... I have lusted after a G34 for a while but after starting to settle in nicely with a G17 for IDPA - I'm not so sure I will switch any time soon . While there are a number of G34's shooting in my IDPA sessions a fellow with a stock G26 scores quite well with only a slight drop off at longer distances ... Makes me believe more in the : "Indian versus the Arrow" theory ! Lastly , the only time I've seen a Glock hicup in IDPA was with reloads (light primer strike) ... With good factory ammo - Glocks always seem to run flawlessly in IDPA ... I think I'll continue to shoot with my G17 a while longer and just save my money to put into more ammo and practice for IDPA competition :)

·
Premium Member
22,868 Posts
I took my stock G17 Gen 3 and added : Warren Tactical sights , a factory extended slide lock release , a Vickers extended mag release and finally a Hogue slip on grip with palm swell to aid my big hands . The trigger with stock connector continues to get better with rounds fired - I'm usually pretty amped up shooting IDPA any way so first shot more heavy trigger pull is negligable in feel to me as I go straight to short trigger re-set after the first shot any way ... I have lusted after a G34 for a while but after starting to settle in nicely with a G17 for IDPA - I'm not so sure I will switch any time soon . While there are a number of G34's shooting in my IDPA sessions a fellow with a stock G26 scores quite well with only a slight drop off at longer distances ... Makes me believe more in the : "Indian versus the Arrow" theory ! Lastly , the only time I've seen a Glock hicup in IDPA was with reloads (light primer strike) ... With good factory ammo - Glocks always seem to run flawlessly in IDPA ... I think I'll continue to shoot with my G17 a while longer and just save my money to put into more ammo and practice for IDPA competition :)
The shooter will make the difference more than the gun for sure. I'm not familiar with the Vickers extended mag release, but you may want to make sure it meets IDPA criteria. If it does, it still would put you in ESP as it's not a factory part.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shooter will make the difference more than the gun for sure. I'm not familiar with the Vickers extended mag release, but you may want to make sure it meets IDPA criteria. If it does, it still would put you in ESP as it's not a factory part.
I will read the rules - but I think it still will meet SSP which is what class I shoot in .

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
You're right, it is the archer, not the arrow... One of the guys here in Memphis made Master in SSP shooting a G19, from IWB usually wearing just a t-shirt. Blazing fast.

Your trigger will get smoother the more you shoot it or you can Google the .25 trigger job.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
OP, if you want to do better in IDPA, then take shooting lessons from an IDPA Master. The difference between a G34 and G17 is insignificant at IDPA distance. Shooting is 95% mental, not the gun.

·
Time to Go....
413 Posts
I've been shooting IDPA for around three years. I started with a Glock Model 22. Then I changed to a gen4 Model 34. I love the 34. Shoots soft, fills my hand. I'm pretty sure you're OK to shoot in SSP, but I would'nt do anything else to the 34 if you want to stay in Stock Service Pistol. Just go to matches, get plenty of ammo and practice your fundementals. This type of shooting is a perishable skill. Go shoot the heck out of your 34, you'll love it.

·
Scottish Member
14,583 Posts
I will read the rules - but I think it still will meet SSP which is what class I shoot in .
Na, non-factory external part = ESP.

ETA: I took a look at the Vickers - the one I saw looks just like a Glock extended magazine release. If this is true of yours, I doubt anyone will know (except you - and now us) - even on a pretty close inspection. There is no competitive advantage of the Vickers (I saw) and a factory part - but yet the rules do not allow a non-factory external part in SSP - even if identical in dimensions and materials.

Change your part, or go ESP (which isn't much difference, Glocks aren't really at a disadvantage in ESP). I'm probably faster with my SSP Glock than my ESP gun (STI 1911) but a bit more accurate at longer ranges with the 1911. but then again I've got 10's of thousands of rounds more downrange with the Glock.

I have a 17 & a 34 - I really can't say one is a better SSP gun than the other. They are both internally completely stock.

And our guy that made master with a G19, he did it with a thumb-break holster and WWB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.