G17 G1, Where to buy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MikeSantor, Oct 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

So I have recently decided I wanted to start shooting IDPA and the 2 handguns I own do not comply with the IDPA rules. Since I want to shoot stock class I thought it would be cool to shoot a Gen1 G17 (something I wont have the urge to put illegal upgrades on). Is there any places that you guys know about where I could find one besides gun broker? I dont do a whole lot of online buying. GB currently has 2 for sale but they are in really good shape. I love stuff thats got some wear to it which is usually cheaper as well. I would love to get a beat up G17G1 in the $400 range. Thoughts? Thanks guys!

2. Hermanator

Hermanator

Post a "want to buy" ad on ArmsList. Gun shows too. Herm

3. bac1023

bac1023

I've been to a bunch of shows this year and haven't seen one. I did buy a gen 1 G17L at a show last December.

4. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Ironically, I got the idea from being at a gun show this weekend in Indianapolis where I found a SUPER beat up (beautiful) gen1. I just didn't have $600 this weekend to drop on an impulse buy. Now that I have had a few days to think it over, I really want this to be my IDPA gun.

5. Current Resident

Current Resident

Mike why does it have to be a Gen 1? It seems that the Gen 2 version is more prevalent here in the Metro Detroit area than a Gen 1 version. Honestly I've never seen a Gen 1 version, Gun Broker is your friend if you have to have it.
    Good luck
    Elwood

Edit: The Cabelas in Dundee used to advertise a lot of Glock police trade in. That's not too far to travel for you.

6. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

I guess it could be a gen2. I live 5 minutes south of Chicago so Dundee (assuming you mean Dundee, In) is a hike.

Going to keep my eyes peeled on GB!

7. Current Resident

Current Resident

Dundee Michigan close to the Ohio, Indiana border.
    I hope you find a dandy my friend.

8. omahaoutdoors

omahaoutdoors

I agree that you should look into a gen 2 instead. Not many gemails 1s floating around whereas you could probably find a decent gen 2 at many gunshows.

9. Locust414

Locust414

Gen 1 will be harder to find. Most guys who have them, hold them. Their the original, purest Glock. Be careful with older guns. Some guys do a good job hacking up their guns and selling them after they screwed them up.

If you find a place that has generation 1, post it or send me PM. I would LOVE to find one myself.

10. IV Troop

IV Troop

I have an all original Gen 1 G17.

There is not a chance I would part with it in trade for the newest model of any Glock. Same with the Gen 2 G17.

Eventually I have no doubt that the relatively small amount of Gen 1s floating around will cause their prices to steadily increase, until they are worth 2-3 times what a newest gen cost.

Just a guess. I could be dead wrong.

I also like old school Model 29 .44 magnums. Most I bought in the sub $450 dollar range (mostly 29-2s). A very clean example of a 29-2 with presentation case is well north of $1k now and steadily rising, as they are not making them any more (old pinned and recessed 29s).

Bearing in mind that a Glock is a far cry from a beautiful blued steel 4" 29-2, they still have their small but growing collector base.

11. IV Troop

IV Troop

My personal Gen 1 came from a ranching family in Nevada. I knew the daughter of the rancher.

According to her, her dad kept it in a saddle bag and never once cleaned it, as he did not know how to field strip it.

It was pretty filthy inside, but runs like a top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike-M likes this.
  12. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

13. IV Troop

IV Troop

Not the greatest pic, but here are three generations.

Gen 1 & 2 G17 and 3rd Gen G19, with plenty of factory spare parts to keep them running for a long, long time.

[​IMG]

Locust414 likes this.
  14. Mike-M

Mike-M

Interesting! The second photo shows Austrian proof marks, complete with the three-letter date code that is ONLY on Austrian-PROOFED Glocks: Code LTD equals February 1989.

Locust414 likes this.
  15. B0308

B0308

To the OP, good luck in your quest. In August I sold the 1986 G17 had only run about 200 rounds through, it had the kind of funky rear sight and the ammo holding box. Went for a grand. Kind of mixed feelings selling it, but I had not shot it since about 1988, so I'm good with it.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Gen 1 is really going back!

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Pretty cool.

IV Troop likes this.
  18. loki993

loki993

You and me both man..Ive always wanted a gen 1 but with how rare they're getting and some of the prices I dont know that I can justify it.

19. screwedby

screwedby

I have a G17L Gen 1 that shoots like a dream. I'm a shooter not a collector but I am aware it is most likely worth a little "extra" just because of who he is.

I am yet to see one of the new G40's but highly suspect I would like to have one to hunt with.
    And it would be the perfect companion to my carry gun, the G29.

I have been kicking around the idea of advertising for someone that wants my early long slide G17L bad enough to buy me a new G40.

Am I reasonable in this line of thought? Is this something you might be interested in?

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!