G17 for GSSF - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HotGlock, Mar 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. HotGlock

HotGlock

Hi. Just picked up a G17 and will be attending some GSSF events in Southern California soon. So right off the bat do I need to install the 3.5lb connector and pull off my fixed glock sights and install some Dave Sevigny Competition sights? I will probably keep my fixed sights, but how well suited are they for GSSF events? I picked the G17 because I can cover most of the GSSF events with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Any sights that you are comfortable with are fine. I prefer Ameriglo Combat. The factory 3.5# connector is nice. Add 10 magazines and you are good to go.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Nothing's wrong with Danny's recommendations; having been there and run through all kinds of sights searching for 'THE sight picture' I've pretty much come full circle and anything that gives you a good solid pic against a sandy range background is fine; but then so are the standard sights. The plain old Ameriglo combats are a good basic sight; Aro-Tek makes some as well that aren't too spendy. (If you like the stock sight picture I'd still recommend contacting Ameriglo and put a STEEL version of that dot on the front.)

I'd also recommend shooting it for awhile to see what you think about the connector. The 3.5# is nice on the takeup - watch that you don't let the first one go at the beep 'cause adrenaline is helping you along the first time - but from the reset I think the stock "5#" connector is fine. There's an awful of practice ammo I could've bought because I was in search of the perfect sight picture & some kind of racier trigger pull.

You'll save some money I spent by shooting it for awhile before switching things out. Go to a match, let some folks know you're new to the game and quite often you can go to a safe area (the only place you can handle the gun besides on the line) and try out whatever's around. Most GSSF'ers are only too proud to show of their baby and/or help you out at your first match.

Good luck!

:patriot:

4. Citizen Carrier

Citizen Carrier Guest

I agree with Sevigny that the most important modification is the sights.

I like a narrower than factory front sight, bare minimum. Ameriglo and a few others offer narrower front sight blades. I ordered a .090" thick one from "Glock Custom Racing" for my Glock 17 and mated it up with a Dawson Precision black adjustable rear sight.

I ordered a .115" blade from Ameriglo (no white dots or fiber optics, just good black steel) for my G24C. I figured that with the longer sight radius a .090" blade would be too narrow on a longslide Glock, yet the .115" blade was still narrower than factory.

With the stock fixed rear sight on my G24C (I thought they were supposed to come with Glock adjustables...), I needed a front sight that was .165" tall. That's what I got. The G24C is well zeroed in with the fixed sights, so I may leave the rear sights alone.

But you've got the gist of it. 3.5 lb connector, sights you like and can use, enough magazines to where you aren't slowing up the flow of the competition with a lot of reloading.

I've only shot indoor matches so far, and get by fine with 5 magazines minimum. Enough time between matches to reload for the next series of two targets. I also found some 10 round magazines at a gunshow for $10. Bought them as "match magazines".

5. njl

njl Crusty Member

Agrip.

Once you go Agrip, you won't go back.

6. 10rounds

10rounds CLM

It's been a few years, I shot my only GSSF match with a stock G17 with Trijicon sights & 3 mags. It was a fun day.

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thanks VERY much! Jeez, can't believe I forgot that. Maybe 'cause every Glock I have is Agrip'd. :supergrin:

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Mine are also Walterized---AGrip over the Hogue Handall

9. HotGlock

HotGlock

Very very cool info. I will be doing my research. I usually practice with WalMart Winchester White Box ammo. What kinda ammo should I look into using for GSSF events? Also, I've read that a holster is not necessary for a GSSF event, but what do you think?

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

One of the very best competitors in the Country uses WWWbox for competition.

If you don't use a holster a pistol bag works heck you could even use the box it came in.

11. njl

njl Crusty Member

If you shop around, Blazer 115gr (by the case or few) is usually the best deal you can get on quality new ammo. With Wal-Mart's recent price increases on WWbox, Blazer from Natchez is the best deal I'm aware of.

12. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

my 2 cents, what ever works for you and your Glock. But I would train with what I fire at the match. Changing bullet weight mid-stream might have a slight difference than expected.

13. JonInWA

JonInWA

While there have been some good responses to your questions, I'd personally recommend a couple of things:

First, get a copy of Robin Taylor's book, "The Glock In Competition." It's full of excellent advice, from some very experienced Glock users/competitors.

Second, practice with your Glock-both live and dryfiring it (for dryfiring, I'd recommend using an Azoom snap cap-to reset the trigger, you'll have to slightly pull back on the slide-it's a bit of an annoyance, but you'll quickly get the hang of doing it where you don't eject the chambered snap cap! Dryfire practice will help familiarize you with the gun, the trigger pull, the sights, your trigger control, and the trigger reset. It's definitely time well spent.

Regarding GSSF matches, while you're certainly fine with your Glock case that the gun came in, I'd recommend the Glock beltslide Sport/Combat holster-it's an excellent, inexpensive holster, and works well for carry. Be aware that holster carry at a GSSF match requires your gun to be holstered with the slide locked back-that's no problem with the Sport/Combat holster, but other holsters that I have will depress the slide release slamming the slide forward whenever I attempt to holster it with the slide locked back.

You'll be fine with Winchester WalMart 100rd Value Pack ammunition, although, as previously mentioned, the price has gone up to where it's about $15.00 a box now. I'd avoid the similar UMC/Remington Value Packs/Mega Packs-the ammunition is certainly acceptably accurate, but seems to be a tad more lightly loaded than the Winchester; remember, in a GSSF match you want your ammo to have enough "oomph" to knock down the steel pepper poppers and plates.

I'd leave the connector alone to start with-see how you do with the standard one first-but that's just me.

Regarding magazines, while theoretically you could do an entire GSSF match with one or two magazines (and some do, especially brand-new shooters who come with only the 2 magazines that come with the gun), reloading between strings of fire in the stages, that's a very slow way to do the match, and probably won't endear you to the competitors waiting in line behind you. Realistically, all your really need is 4, but what I'd recommend is that you have at least 4 "normal capacity" (i.e., 17 rd)magazines and perhaps an additional magazine (either 10 or 17 rd to use as a topping off/stripper magazine. That way you can run an entire stage without needing to reload your individual magazines, and concentrate on your technique and the targets. The normal capacity magazines are MUCH easier to load to 10 rds than the 10 rd "Clinton" magazines. Techniques vary; for each string of fire you're allowed to have a magazine with 10 rounds loaded, PLUS one additional round in the chamber. What many do is preload their magazines to 10 rounds before each stage, and then use a "stripper" magazine to first load the chamber round, and then insert a preloaded magazine containing 10 rounds; others prefer to have their initial magazine in each string preloaded to 11 rounds (but if at the end of a string you still have a round chambered, you'll need to flick one round out of a pre-loaded magazine containing 11 rounds-remember, the max allowable for each string is 10 + 1...). This year, I think what I'll do is use a 10 rd "Clinton" magazine that I've attached an orange floorplate to as a stripper, and only load my normal capacity magazines to 10 rounds-but I fluctuate on this!

Most of all, you'll have fun-attendees are normally very happy to help and advise, and there will be a Glock Armorer there, who will be happy to go through you're gun for you at no charge, and make sure that you have all the applicable factory updates. If nothing else, he'll be happy to show you how to dissamble your magazines-which, without previous instruction, is a ROYAL pain (although there's certainly been some excellent postings on the subject here in the General Glocking forum lately.

Best, Jon

14. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I agree with Jon's suggestion, "First, get a copy of Robin Taylor's book, "The Glock In Competition." It's full of excellent advice, from some very experienced Glock users/competitors."

If I may add, "you may want to get The Glock in Competition, Second Edition". There's more detail about the new GSSF matches and formats than the first edition. I know because I wrote that part of Robin's book. :) :)

Have fun shooting Glocks!!

15. JonInWA

JonInWA

And your contribution is a singularly excellent one-particularly so in this case because it specifically deals with GSSF. I absolutely agree-make sure that you get the second edition.

Also, make sure that you visit the official GSSF website, www.gssfonline.com. Be aware that there are some potential variations/alternatives to the GSSF stages; these were offered up last season-the host club decides which to use; these are fully covered on the GSSF website. GSSF hasn't sent out the 2007 rulebook yet, but the only anticipated changes that I've heard of have to do with the prize distribution schedule, and are also discussed both there and on this website (I'd suggest reading the GSSF coverage of this first, then come back to this website and read the comments-they'll make a bit more sense that way).

Best, Jon

16. njl

njl Crusty Member

If you're not using Internet Explorer, the gssfonline.com site doesn't appear to have any information about the new alternative setups for 5-to-Glock or Glock-M. Just the original/old setups and the paper-only alternatives.

Also, the 2007 rules are available online, and I just noticed something else GSSF is doing to apparently save money.

190.60.8 Membership Extension in lieu of $50 Random Cash awards. The $50 random cash awards will only be awarded to those winning members whose membership expiration dates are more than one year from the match date. For those winning members whose membership expiration dates are less than one year from the match date the member will receive an automatic two-year extension of his or her GSSF membership in lieu of the $50 random award.

So it sounds as if you have to be either a multi-year or life member to collect the money on a $50 random award.

As for magazines, they'll let you shoot with less, but it's so annoying for those waiting to shoot to see a shooter come to the line with only 1 or 2 magazines and have to wait for the shooter to reload their mag(s) between strings.

I wonder if GSSF has ever considered providing a few loaner mags at each stage? They could get by with a few spare G17, G22, G21SF, and G37 mags at each stage, and let those who arrive with insufficient mags to shoot the stage without reloading to borrow "stage mags" to load while on deck. They'd obviously have to be distinctively marked to discourage them from growing legs or getting confused with shooters mags. Perhaps a coat of hot pink Krylon fusion?

If you show up with 10 preloaded mags, you can avoid the anxiety of having to reload mags between strings/stages and if you luck out and go from one stage to the next and there's no line, you're immediately ready to go.

17. RoyRNC

RoyRNC

I was a brand new GSSF shooter last year and I found this book very usefull. Not only for GSSF (which I admit was well written) but also for other shooting sports, plus all the tips and tricks to better educate yourself on just about everything Glock. I've read it through 3 times now.

I also hang out alot just reading the posts in this section. You'll probably meet alot of these fella's at the matches and they do a pretty good job of making you feel welcome. Especially those boys from Florida. :thumbsup:

18. HotGlock

HotGlock

thanks for all of the info. will be picking up my G17 in less than a week. i guess my next steps are to become a member of GSSF and buy some extra g17 mags. heading over to gssfonline.com now. thanks again.

19. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

Any of the GSSF guys reload for their G17's ?? Looking to try a few GSSF matches. I reload everything I shoot so if someone has a good recipe that works good in a G17 im all ears.

Adam

20. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

3.8 of VV N330 with a Zero 147 JHP or Xtreme 135 RNFP.