Glock 17 G17 CCW Question ( Short Fat Guys Only Need Respond)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnGlock23, Jan 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JohnGlock23

JohnGlock23

OK some of you other short fat guys, tell me how you CCW your G17s.
    I'm curious to learn what is a good holster for IWB or OWB. What position do you carry your full size Glocks? For a long time I have carried at the Appendix or about the 1:30 position. This works well for small guns like my S&W Model 36 as it disappears into the fat. I recently sold my G23 and purchased a G17 just for the full size grip which I badly needed. I still plan to CCW the J-frame but I'd really like to know what works with a G17 when you're short and fat. At 5'8" at 220 lbs. I guess that qualifies me as short and fat.;?

2. h2o-5o

h2o-5o Owned by Pugs

I prefer an outside-the-waistband belt-slide/pancake holster, made with the molding completely to the outside. If available, I prefer the Galco Concealable, although other options include Mitch Rosen's President treatment to several holsters, or the Aker Flatsider models. BTW, I'm 6', but 265 lbs. Love handles, ya know!

3. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Well, if you're not predjudiced, let a tall and fat guy help:cool:

I think the general feeling on this is that the front of the wb is not the preferred place to carry(BUT, you do what works for you). If you wear your shirt untucked you should be able to go IWB (with a good holster) and carry about the 4:00 position. Fat guys have to get shirts that cover our bellies and typically don't wear form fitting shirts, your shirt tail should give you good enough cover in most cases.

p.s. carrying at 1:30 kinda puts the muzzle towards, well, uh, you know....(And I can't afford to lose any of mine to an AD of some sort, Mrs. SoDFW would be pissed, well, she would laugh hysterically anyway);f

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

OWB Fobus or shoulder holster.

5. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

First off, you're not FAT- "gravimetrically challenged" is a much nicer term...
    Where you "concealed carry" depends(for me) on how fast I wanna get to it.
    On a detail at a bar- I like a shoulder rig- where my hand on a glass is just inches away from my piece...I like the same in a car...
    On the hoof I like it on my hip-under a coat... I hate a ankle holster- especially if I'm runnin- you gotta come to a STOP to draw it.
    I'd figure out how quick I wanted to get to it- then go from there...

6. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I also am gravimetrically challanged and am very partial to the Galco SSII especially in the cooler months. In warm weather I go with the Galco FLETCH or Concealable depending on the handgun. Due to my 'contenance' I wear it at 3:30 and wear vests or baggy shirts for cover.

Everytime I switch holsters I spend a couple of hours practicing my presentation, dry and live.

7. T-Maggot

T-Maggot

8. vafish

vafish

I don't currently carry a full size handgun.

I'm 5'7" and 200 lbs. I used to carry a Full size 1911 IWB in a Bianchi 3S holster at about 3:30.

9. cole

cole Millennium Member

Okay, so I'm short(er) at 5'10", but not hefty. I cannot really comfortably IWB CCW our G17 all day; just too much gun. When I do carry for whatever reason, it's in a Blade-Tech IWB or Glock belt slide in the 3:30/4:00 position, with a (long) jacket.

10. Squadman

Squadman CRUNCH CuTTER

I'm 5'8" and used to be 195, still carry 1911 IWB Blade-tech or fobus paddle, 35 Blade-tech OWB or skeleton IWB(forgot who makes it, soft), don't seem to have a problem sitting down or driving at 3:30 position.

11. glockxgray

glockxgray glockenschtuppe

I am not short, I am 6` but I am 260lbs
    All around the middle, kinda like a potato on tooth picks....
    Anyway, without a doubt, the Tucker Answer IWB is the most comfortable and concealable holster for my G17 I have ever tried.
    I own several Galco and Milt Sparks along with Don Hume, Safariland and Fobus to name a few.
    The Tucker is the easiest to carry and conceal bar none.
    Its almost like its not the pants holding the gun up, it uses you to do that. They are pricey, but worth every penny.
    Tucker says they arent comfortable for point of hip carry, but with my excess padding it fits my POH perfectly.

Here is the Tucker Site

GXG;P

12. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

I'm not short and fat. I'm tall and about 30 pounds heavy if that counts. I can use a Galco Miami Classic one way or another 12 months out of the year. I'm used to it, I always know where my gun is, and it's very reliable. It should work for you too.