close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 G17 CC questions, and howdy from NY

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jason370, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jason370

Jason370

Just got my CC license (in NYS!) and I'm strongly considering a G17 5th gen. I know I know, it's a big gun to carry concealed, and the G19 is the same gun but better for such purposes. I don't disagree however, I'm 6'5" 260, with hands to match and those compacts just don't feel right in my grip. I need a good sized gun.

1. Any reason I shouldn't buy the G17 gen 5? (update: i've already ordered this gun, but feel free to tell me why i should or shouldn't have bought it)
    2. Should I pay up for the ameriglo sights, and if not what would you recommend. (update: I paid up. Huge consensus on this one)
    3. I could use some recommendations for holsters, and I certainly prefer IWB for CC. For reference, fifteen years ago I carried a HK USP 45 concealed, ave that's a monster of a gun. Can't say it was super comfortable all the time, but it was doable, as long as I was standing.(update:I bought a vedder light tuck, and will probably buy a two clip holster as well)
    4. Any good CC clothing recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Not looking to go cheap here. Just want to make smart, quality purchases.

Thanks gents, happy to join the group.
    Jason

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 11:37 PM
    Learning guys likes this.
  2. GCBHM

GCBHM

No, you should be fine with the 17. That is what I bought two of my kids who are relatively large. I recommend the INCOG system for a holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason370 likes this.

3. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

I carry a 17 from time to time, but a 19 most of the time, do not notice MUCH of a difference.
    I use a Comp Tac MTac for 9mm glocks BUT I made leather belt loops with leather risers for it as I did not like the extra movement the clips allowed.
    Very satisfied with the rig now.

4. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

You should be fine with a 17 Gen 5 and yes I would get the Ameriglo's with the pistol, great sights for the money! - you must live Upstate or way outside the metro areas to get a CC permit -

Personally if I had communist 10 round magazine restrictions I wouldn't waste it on a full size 9mm pistol (feels like wasted space) - I'd go with a G20 or G21 and just go with a bigger cartridge -

One of my friends just got a Vedder Lighttuck for his PPQ 45 and loves it - I plan on getting one for my G26

Gen IV likes this.
  5. plumber802

plumber802

Big guy=big gun.If you think you can comfortably carry the G17 then go for it.I agree with Ricky Bobby on the Vedder Light Tuck.

Jason370 likes this.
  6. monty_d_33

monty_d_33

I think Ameriglo is worth the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason370 likes this.
  7. jr24

jr24

17 is fine, yes to Amerigo (though I prefer the CAP sights myself).

I carry my 17 (or 21 in the winter) in a Comp Tac Minotaur at 2 oclock.

I have a little bit of a gut (shrinking every day) and the 2 oclock carry puts the gun in a "sweet spot" for how my shirts drape.

I cannot carry even a mousegun at 4 oclock but can carry a Glock 21 under a tshirt at 2.

Jason370 likes this.
  8. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy

You might try a G30.
    10 rds of .45acp goodness.

9. Jason370

Jason370

Yep just moved upstate from downtown Manhattan. First thing I did was buy a ar15 and apply for an unrestricted carry license.

I'm interested in the 10mm and .45 but recoil, accuracy, ammo price and availability are all considerations. The HK 45 I had shot like a cannon. The G17 shot much easier, with more precise accuracy. I have no experience with the G20 or G21 however, so if you can offer your experience between then, that would certainly be greatly appreciated.

10. OBG17

OBG17

I would get it. I have the Gen4 17 but I got an offer for it that I'm good with so I'm selling it. If I didn't have the CZ 75 BD I would have kept it. I carried the 17 OWB in a Mitch Rosen 5JR-EXP with no issues. I also used Ameriglo orange CAP sights and they were real good. I switched to Truglo TFX Pros recently and also like them I still have Ameriglo sights just in case.

Gen IV likes this.
  11. Doctor Suarez

Doctor Suarez

Californian here. I used to insist on the biggest round I could shoot in order to fill the empty space. Time was a full-size 9mm with 10-round mags seemed like a terrible idea.

More recently, though, I've come around. 9mm is a proven cartridge that's easy to shoot and crazy reliable. Bullet design has come a long way and 9mm rounds perform way better than they used to in gel. It'll be cheaper and more pleasant to use for practice, and it'll still get the job done in the crazy unlikely event that you need to defend yourself with it.

I have a Gen 3 (which is all we're allowed to have) and it's an outstanding pistol. It's very thin for a full-size, and I find the whole grip-angle thing to be not a thing.

Definitely get new sights though. Glock's factory sights are bad. When you use them, the white circle on the front sight is slightly occluded, which causes you to subconsciously raise your point of aim to get the entire ball in your sight picture. I swapped for nice thin fiber optics.

Jason370 likes this.
  12. Badwolf75

Badwolf75

With a 10 round mag limit, I'd strongly suggest a smaller gun like a 26 for better concealment options or go to a larger round like a .45 ACP to get the most out of your limited capacity.

Jason370 likes this.
  13. SJC 3081

SJC 3081

I would strongly recommend a S&W M&P 45. Your restricted to 10 rounds. The MP45 is great shooting, handling, super accurate and reliable pistol. If you lived in a free state I would choose a 17 first.

Jason370 likes this.
  14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Here in VT I CCW my G17 in a Glock-made plastic holster. It keeps the pistol butt from sticking out too much. BTW, congrats on getting your CCW permit.

Jason370 likes this.
  16. jonb32248

jonb32248

Congrat's on getting your ccw in New Yorkistan! I have a question knowing NY gun laws having lived there for 65 yrs before my escape in 2013, how did you get the ccw and not have a gun on layaway while waiting for the judges decision? Or did you have one waiting at a gun store?

Jason370 likes this.
  17. MajorD

MajorD

Jonb every county in New York does this differently ( which is why in some counties it is easy to get a full unrestricted carry permit and close to impossible in others) in my old county they had to approve the permit first, sent you a letter that allowed you to buy a gun then bring the bill of sale to the permit office so the serial number could be put on the permit prior to picking up the gun. The letter even said if you did not buy a gun within 30 days and supply the info for the permit they would revoke your approval. I know of other counties that make you buy a gun first ( then wait up to a year for the permit approval that allows you to pick it up!) and still other counties that will issue the permit with no gun listed on it for as long as you want. Without a doubt when it comes to handgun ownership New York State is the most screwed up state in the nation ( though California and New Jersey are not far behind!) which is one of the reasons I am a former New York Resident

Jason370 likes this.
  18. Jason370

Jason370

It's county by county, different rules apply. In Orange County you have the choice to buy the gun before or after you get your permit. If I were to do it again (which I can't, since there's only one first time), I'd buy the gun first, since now I'll have to wait 2-3 weeks to be allowed to pick up whatever I buy, since the judge has to ok that too.

19. jonb32248

jonb32248

O.K. I used to live in orange co. Newburgh. It's so UN-Constitional the way it is handled.Glad i live here in Missouri.I can walk into any LGS and walkout after a background ck. 30 min. laterwith a gun.And now I don't even need a ccw permit. Love it. my last gun I bought was in a barber shop. Brand new Ruger sr9c.

michael_b likes this.
  20. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

If you really like the Gen5 17 then I say to get it. I'm a small guy (5'8" @ 135lbs) and carry a G17 IWB at 4 o'clock every day. Shoot it, carry it, and enjoy it.

Jason370 likes this.