Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 303 Posts

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
When you find a pile of brass by the 50's or 100's with same headstamp, one could surmise its once fired factory ammo, GTG for rotation into reloading.
If they're the same headstamp, you're probably right. No mention of that in the OP. In fact, the OP suggested the opposite - that it was a pile of mismatched brass. And if then proceed to have blown cases....

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
For all you range rats out there, scavenging and reusing whatever you find in the dirt at your local range - more power to you.

However, in THIS CASE, that's an easy enough variable to remove for testing.

Personally, the best solution is to fire some factory ammo and see if it repeats. Barring that, I'd switch up and reduce as many variables as possible from the equation and see what solves it.

· Registered
3,832 Posts
Would you ignore range brass as a possibility if you were blowing cases?
Loading mid range,no. Loading hot, yes. I would double check loading data for the powder being used and all other aspects of the reloading process first. I also seperate by headstamp. All A-Merc and RP brass gets scraped. Maybe he picked up some stressed brass. Anything is possible.

· Registered
8,585 Posts
Brass is range brass. I'm certain some are once fired and equally sure others have been reloaded multiple times. None of them have cracked cases before reloading.

I'm "gun shy" to run factory ammo through this gun. If I get cat failures on my poofy loads, what will it do on factory ammo?

Yes, I'm a reloader. There's millions of us who reload without issues.
Being a reloader sometimes I leave my brass when I know that batch as been reloaded a dozen times, is beat up, primer pocket is sloppy loose, etc, etc. Then I see somebody picks up my trash brass and figures the old timer is not keeping it.

You run a factory load as a 'proof load'.

In this case I see it as 'operator/reloader' error.

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
Being a reloader sometimes I leave my brass when I know that batch as been reloaded a dozen times, is beat up, primer pocket is sloppy loose, etc, etc. Then I see somebody picks up my trash brass and figures the old timer is not keeping it.
I do the same. The range rat who sweeps my brass is getting recycle fodder.

· Registered
8,585 Posts
When you find a pile of brass by the 50's or 100's with same headstamp, one could surmise its once fired factory ammo, GTG for rotation into reloading.
I started reloading 9mm in 1982. Once Police Departments started issuing 9mm pistols I would go to our local range and picked up 1000s of once fired brass.

The bucket holds a lot of 9mm brass. Reloading, what a great hobby!

· Banned
1,361 Posts
I shoot my brass until it splits or has some other visible defect. So far no problems. I wonder whether the OP is getting blown cases because he's 2/10s of a grain light on his load. Couple that with a cold day shooting Clays and you could have a problem.

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
I shoot my brass until it splits or has some other visible defect. So far no problems. I wonder whether the OP is getting blown cases because he's 2/10s of a grain light on his load. Couple that with a cold day shooting Clays and you could have a problem.
I wondered the same.

· Registered
6,560 Posts
Maybe at the very least, try running a small batch with known good brass. I also no longer use range brass (except my own) - too many unknowns.
^this
OP- could you tell us if your brass is mixed headstamps or a single brand?
I stick to brands like Starline,Federal,Winchester and Remington.
There is “junk” brass like Amerc that i won’t use,i’m just curious if that could be the issue.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
One thing to check is the head stamps of the cases that had case head kabooms. There are some brands of ammo that come with a stepped case (internally). These are known to separate at the step when reloaded. Never reload the stepped cases. All other range brass is fine, the run of the mill 9mm Luger case is very stout.

Another thing to do is get a set of check weights (RCBS makes a cheap set that works fine). Make sure you scale is accurate at your desired drop amount. You scale could be off and you will not know unless you use check weights to verify it is accurate.

PS - It isn't the gun.

· Registered
6,560 Posts
I’ve found some of the stepped 9mm cases at our range,while it stops the setback of the bullet it greatly decreases case volume so if it were used assuming it to be a regular case i could see someone getting into trouble.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
I’ve found some of the stepped 9mm cases at our range,while it stops the setback of the bullet it greatly decreases case volume so if it were used assuming it to be a regular case i could see someone getting into trouble.
Especially when you are using an uber fast powder like Clays, AA #2, etc. People worry about bullet setback raising pressures dramatically, and it will with a fast powder. Reduce internal case volume with those stepped cases it is the same effect as large setback.

Add into that the natural stress riser of the step. Zazaam, Zazaam, another defective Glock. ;)

41 - 60 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.