Glock Talk banner

G17 Catasrtophic Failure

27509 302
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave
21 - 40 of 303 Posts

· Registered
4,734 Posts
I'm going with bad cases. Maybe those blown cases just happened to be ones you picked up that were past their serviceability. Did the rest of the rounds fire ok? I'd try factory ammo into to the equation, give yourself a comparison. If same happens with factory ammo, back to Glock.

· "Tactical Elf"
3,220 Posts
From you explanation of using range brass, once fired, and some more than that, it is likely the ammo. Visually they may appear ok, but brass gets stressed and stretched, even 9mm brass.

Especially since you have no idea what load was shot out of that brass to begin with. A couple of runs with some +p+ loading and the brass can get extremely fatigued.

As others have said, run some quality name brand stuff through it and go from there. Any glock shouldn't have an issue with factory stuff and it will give you a base line.

I am not questioning your ability to load, but questioning the integrity or your components.

I used to load my own and used 231, blue dot and unique for everything. I have blown cases out, and it was always easily traced backed to either over charging, or stretched brass, or me just trying to see how hot I could get the load.

It is truly amazing what a Browning HP will take. :notlistening:

TXPO

· Registered
1,616 Posts
Range brass uhm... no. Not only should you not fired a round that you don't know where it came from, but don't shoot range brass either. You have NO IDEA what that brass has gone through.

Also, why come here insinuating that it is an issue with the glock when you haven't even tried factory ammo with it? If it shoots factory without issue, but your reloads keep blowing up... it's likely your reloads, and then you can at least start your journey of information from an honest position.

But I digress.

· Registered
151 Posts
Po

The point is a guy is asking if a Gen 4 is causing his reloads to fail. Problem is with reloads. Not the Glock.

Just start noticing how often people having issues are shooting reloads or using non-OEM parts or mods

You will see a pattern.

Probably true. I reload for rifles/revolvers but shoot nothing other that factory in my Glocks. I've heard of others having issues so I just avoided it altogether. Plus, my Glocks are used for carry and I don't wish for any legal issue over carry ammo.

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
Probably true. I reload for rifles/revolvers but shoot nothing other that factory in my Glocks. I've heard of others having issues so I just avoided it altogether. Plus, my Glocks are used for carry and I don't wish for any legal issue over carry ammo.
I shoot my .45 reloads out of my 21SF all the time. Thousands and thousands of rounds, no blown cases. Two squibs (my bad), but no blown cases.

· Registered
4,734 Posts
Range brass uhm... no. Not only should you not fired a round that you don't know where it came from, but don't shoot range brass either. You have NO IDEA what that brass has gone through.

Also, why come here insinuating that it is an issue with the glock when you haven't even tried factory ammo with it? If it shoots factory without issue, but your reloads keep blowing up... it's likely your reloads, and then you can at least start your journey of information from an honest position.

But I digress.
I've shot thousands of rounds of 45acp using range brass loaded and loaded again. There is nothing wrong with range brass. A visual inspection prior to loading is all I do. I surmise 9mm isn't much different. It's not like its rifle cases which should get a specific number of reloading because each firing requires trimming the neck.

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of 45acp using range brass loaded and loaded again. There is nothing wrong with range brass. A visual inspection prior to loading is all I do. I surmise 9mm isn't much different. It's not like its rifle cases which should get a specific number of reloading because each firing requires trimming the neck.
Except 9mm, per SAAMI specs, can produce nearly twice the pressure of standard .45 ACP... but hey, it's all the same, right?

· Registered
3,832 Posts
I own nine Glocks. Except for my SD ammo I don't think seven have ever had factory ammo put through them. I also load brass I find all the time. I'm not pushing the limits with my reloads though. Only guns I have loaded hot for are 10mm.
Good information in the replies. I would double check everything. Also running some factory ammo through is a good idea.

· Registered
3,492 Posts
Range brass is a No No! There are some brands of ammunition out there that have brass cases, but will not tolerate reloading, and I agree with what many have said, Plunk test, Run factory ammo thru it to see what gives.

Reactions: MO Fugga

· Old timer
16,225 Posts
I own nine Glocks. Except for my SD ammo I don't think seven have ever had factory ammo put through them. I also load brass I find all the time. I'm not pushing the limits with my reloads though. Only guns I have loaded hot for are 10mm.
Good information in the replies. I would double check everything. Also running some factory ammo through is a good idea.
Would you ignore range brass as a possibility if you were blowing cases?

21 - 40 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.