Glock Talk banner

G17 Catasrtophic Failure

27526 Views 302 Replies 128 Participants Last post by  roundball
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Primers were Tula or Magtech.
I check my powder drops every 100 rounds. The Dillon powder dispenser has never been off in over 45,000 reloads.
Brass is range brass. I'm certain some are once fired and equally sure others have been reloaded multiple times. None of them have cracked cases before reloading.
All of my loads are run through a Lee bulge buster to ensure they seat in all of my 9mm handguns.
I'm "gun shy" to run factory ammo through this gun. If I get cat failures on my poofy loads, what will it do on factory ammo?
Yes, I'm a reloader. There's millions of us who reload without issues. This is the only Glock I've owned that's given me issues with my reloads and I own more than one Glock.

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Here's pics of 2 of the 3 failures I've had. Both were loaded with Precision Delta 125's. They look like all the other failures I've ever seen.

Again, all I was asking is, is there a known problem with Gen 4 G17's? If that sounds accusatory, so be it. Some would say, you'll never know unless you ask.

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I use the Lee bulge buster so all my loads fit in all of my guns. It's quicker than a barrel plunk for each firearm. A 9mm sizing die will not work with the bulge buster due to the taper of the case. You need a 9X18 Mak die.

Thank you for all the replies. I really do think my loads are "poofy". They are enough to cycle the gun and have the brass land at my feet. Why chase brass, right? I still haven't been able to train my brass to fall in my range bag.

The thought of running factory ammo at this point scares the crap out of me. For those who've had cases blow out, you know what I mean. The first time, gases blew out the mag and smacked my middle finger so hard I expected to see blood. I didn't. The second time, the gasses came straight back in my face and again blew out the mag. Yesterday, again, the mag was dislodged and the extractor is nowhere to be found.

The good, or bad, part of all of this is, the G17 is not my only 9mm. I have 3 other Glocks and 3 other brands of pistols in 9mm. The G17 is the only one that's ever blown a case and I don't shoot it the most. That's why I asked the question I did.

I'm attending the GSSF match in Homestead on Saturday. The gun is packed and ready to go with me. I had planned on shooting it Saturday but decided to shoot the G19 instead. Wish me luck,

Dave

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I will gladly admit it may be my fault. I just wonder why this gun is the ONLY gun I have with this problem? My Gen2 G19, Gen3 G19 and my Gen3 G34 all have more rounds through them than this G17 yet, only the G17 has had not one, but three case failures..

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I'll tell you exactly what I do. All my ammo is loaded on a Dillon SDB press. After it's loaded, I run it through a Lee crimp die using the Lee Bulge Buster. In the case of 9mm, I use the Lee 9x18 Mak crimp die. That way I know it will chamber in every gun I have and no need to plunk test every barrel.

· Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Alright guys, here we go.

I attended the GSSF match near Homestead, FL on Saturday. The Glock armorer inspected the gun and replaced the missing extractor from the latest case failure. He believes the 3 failures from my gun were just "luck of the draw". He says there is nothing visibly wrong with the gun and I should try shooting some factory ammo through it. If it blows up on factory ammo, Glock will replace it under warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.