Glock Talk banner

G17 Catasrtophic Failure

27507 302
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,832 Posts
I own nine Glocks. Except for my SD ammo I don't think seven have ever had factory ammo put through them. I also load brass I find all the time. I'm not pushing the limits with my reloads though. Only guns I have loaded hot for are 10mm.
Good information in the replies. I would double check everything. Also running some factory ammo through is a good idea.

· Registered
3,832 Posts
Would you ignore range brass as a possibility if you were blowing cases?
Loading mid range,no. Loading hot, yes. I would double check loading data for the powder being used and all other aspects of the reloading process first. I also seperate by headstamp. All A-Merc and RP brass gets scraped. Maybe he picked up some stressed brass. Anything is possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.