Glock Talk banner

G17 Catasrtophic Failure

27523 Views 302 Replies 128 Participants Last post by  roundball
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,414 Posts
Are you paying attention to COAL? How long have you been reloading? If you are new then I would pick a different powder. Such a narrow window with such small charges sounds like a recipe for disaster for a new reloaded. How are you measuring charges?

Edit: You answered most of my questions a minute or two before I hit post. So I assume this load works in other guns?

· Registered
6,414 Posts
$9.99 for 50 rounds Fed. Champion 9mm cartridges.
10 bucks a box is the cheapest it has been for a long time, but it's still way too expensive for many of us to shoot thousands of every year. I'm shooting my 9mm for something like $3.50/50. It will be even less once I start reclaiming my lead, which is on the horizon.

· Registered
6,414 Posts
Where do you get a bullet and primer for 7 cents? Cheapest I've ever seen primers is 2 cents a pop, and I'm not aware of any place you can buy (with tax/shipping) a 9mm bullet for a nickle.

Just curious ...
I cast my own and powder coat them. I probably pay closer to 2 or 2.5 cents per bullet, so really the loaded round is more like 6c each. As I said, once I really start to reclaim my own lead (building a backstop) then even the bullet price goes way down (still have to coat, and still have to buy some lead, just not as much).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.