Glock Talk banner

G17 Catasrtophic Failure

27509 302
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9,917 Posts
Can't argue with that. The problem is almost certainly with his reloads. If he continues to have problems with commercial ammo then I would slug the thing and see if he has a problem with his chamber being out of spec and not fully supporting the case.
agreed. That's why I asked to see a picture of a plunk test. I'd like to see how well it is supported. My reloads are quite a bit hotter than his and I don't have any issues.

· Registered
9,917 Posts
I don't think people are questioning your knowledge...but, there is obviously and issue so we're trying to figure out if it is the bow or the arrow.

Your load spec's out at about 28,000 CUP and my loads are about 33,000 CUP without issue. My brass is also reloaded MANY times over.

· Registered
9,917 Posts
Are you paying attention to COAL? How long have you been reloading? If you are new then I would pick a different powder. Such a narrow window with such small charges sounds like a recipe for disaster for a new reloaded. How are you measuring charges?

Edit: You answered most of my questions a minute or two before I hit post. So I assume this load works in other guns?
that "narrow window" is exactly why I stay away from Clays. It gets too spooky too fast. I use Universal and Titegroup

· Registered
9,917 Posts
I have so many 5 gal buckets of 9mm range pickups, I quit picking them up quite a while ago. The only spent 9mm cases I pick up now are to inspect a case when working on a new load.

I will admit though, I haven't been picking them up since before those stepped cases showed up. I would be checking every single case of range pickups these days.
I hear you and you’re right. I shoot several hundred rounds a week and some matches on the weekend. The matches are “lost brass” and as one of the RSO’s, I get some of it.

I try (should do better though) to inspect the casing as I’m loading it into my press and a second time, as I’m loading the round into a magazine.

· Registered
9,917 Posts
A case head kaboom is not the end of the world, but could mess up an all time greatest match, pretty much the only time it is going to surface. ;)
I agree 100 percent. I had a failure this past weekend in an IDPA match. ....didn’t go into battery. All because I’m a cheapskate.

I also “stunk”. Complete darkness stage and I dropped my light.
A case head kaboom is not the end of the world, but could mess up an all time greatest match, pretty much the only time it is going to surface. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.