Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gen 4 G17 and I'm experiencing cat failures. It's blown the bases off of 3 cases.

For full disclosure, I am a reloader. I load very soft loads, 3.2 grains of Hodgdon's Clays under a 125 fmj using a Dillon SDB reloader. I'm not new to reloading and this is the only gun I've had problems like this.

The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I thought I must have made a loading error of some sort.

Today, it happened again and I'm wondering if it's the gun?

Is anyone aware of issues with the Gen 4 G17?

Thanks, Dave

·
Banned
1,403 Posts
IIRC the max load for that bullet with Clays is 3.5 grains. What kind of primers are you using? Are you using a powder check? What type of brass are you using? Is it possible you loaded two bullets into a single case? How deeply are you seating the bullets and how tight of a crimp are you using? Have you slugged the chamber?

·
Banned
1,403 Posts
Po

The point is a guy is asking if a Gen 4 is causing his reloads to fail. Problem is with reloads. Not the Glock.

Just start noticing how often people having issues are shooting reloads or using non-OEM parts or mods

You will see a pattern.
Can't argue with that. The problem is almost certainly with his reloads. If he continues to have problems with commercial ammo then I would slug the thing and see if he has a problem with his chamber being out of spec and not fully supporting the case.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Can't argue with that. The problem is almost certainly with his reloads. If he continues to have problems with commercial ammo then I would slug the thing and see if he has a problem with his chamber being out of spec and not fully supporting the case.
agreed. That's why I asked to see a picture of a plunk test. I'd like to see how well it is supported. My reloads are quite a bit hotter than his and I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Primers were Tula or Magtech.
I check my powder drops every 100 rounds. The Dillon powder dispenser has never been off in over 45,000 reloads.
Brass is range brass. I'm certain some are once fired and equally sure others have been reloaded multiple times. None of them have cracked cases before reloading.
All of my loads are run through a Lee bulge buster to ensure they seat in all of my 9mm handguns.
I'm "gun shy" to run factory ammo through this gun. If I get cat failures on my poofy loads, what will it do on factory ammo?
Yes, I'm a reloader. There's millions of us who reload without issues. This is the only Glock I've owned that's given me issues with my reloads and I own more than one Glock.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Are you paying attention to COAL? How long have you been reloading? If you are new then I would pick a different powder. Such a narrow window with such small charges sounds like a recipe for disaster for a new reloaded. How are you measuring charges?

Edit: You answered most of my questions a minute or two before I hit post. So I assume this load works in other guns?

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Po

The point is a guy is asking if a Gen 4 is causing his reloads to fail. Problem is with reloads. Not the Glock.

Just start noticing how often people having issues are shooting reloads or using non-OEM parts or mods

You will see a pattern.
Yes, I see a very clear pattern. I see people who don't know what they are doing having problems and people who do know what they are doing not having problems.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
I don't think people are questioning your knowledge...but, there is obviously and issue so we're trying to figure out if it is the bow or the arrow.

Your load spec's out at about 28,000 CUP and my loads are about 33,000 CUP without issue. My brass is also reloaded MANY times over.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Are you paying attention to COAL? How long have you been reloading? If you are new then I would pick a different powder. Such a narrow window with such small charges sounds like a recipe for disaster for a new reloaded. How are you measuring charges?

Edit: You answered most of my questions a minute or two before I hit post. So I assume this load works in other guns?
that "narrow window" is exactly why I stay away from Clays. It gets too spooky too fast. I use Universal and Titegroup

1 - 20 of 303 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.