Glock 17 G17 and IDPA

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joeandblake, May 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. joeandblake

joeandblake

OK,
    So I went and got a G17 in 9 to save money on ammo.

I am actually pretty proficient with it out to about 25 yards or so (As long as I have bothered to play around so far)

I want to make some modifications to it but they all must be IDPA legal in the ESP class. I am looking for some suggestions on where to purchase these parts.

1. Stainless Guide Rod
    2. Recommendation for an appropriate GUide Rod Spring
    3. Extended Mag Release
    4. Extended Slide Lock COntrol
    5. Beveled Mag Well
    6. Overtravel Stop
    7. 3.5 lb. connector
    8. Any other internal parts that would allow me better reliability shot to shot

Thanks in advance...

2. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

I havent shot any IDPA but let me recommend some mods for you.

1) A good set of sights, Dawson, Heine, Bomar

2) 3.5 connector and .25 trigger job

3. joeandblake

joeandblake

I have TFO's on this particular gun. .25 trigger job? Please don't tell me to search :-D

And thank you!!!

4. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

The .25 trigger job is basicly polishing things up a bit to get a smoother trigger pull.
    Here are the detailed instructions http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

5. Bill Dncn

Bill Dncn

Most of what your looking for can be found here http://www.custom-glock.com

Matt frequents this board, and his site has very good info about spring recommendations too.
    I shop around, but have gotten a lot of items from them.

I personaly don't like an extended slide lock due to my grip (thumbs)

Good luck

Bill

6. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

My $.02 (worth about that...) is to shoot a few course with the pistol stock, or close to it. If you're anything like me, you'll find that a stock Glock with decent sights is perfectly capable in IDPA, its the nut behind the wheel that needs the help...

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

For my ESP Glock I am currently using the following:

JP Enterprise Magazine Well
    Vanek Drop-In Trigger (Also recommend GlockWORX)
    Dawson Fiber Optic Adjustable
    G20/G21 aka G34/G35 Magazine Release
    G34/G35 Slide Release
    THE Non Captured Stainless Guide Rod
    ISMI Recoil Spring. Spring weight depends on cartridge configuration. Please refer to the following site for recomendations

http://www.custom-glock.com/springtech.html

8. collinsk

collinsk

I am a Master Class IDPA shooter, and I would leave it as stock as possible. The G17 is a very fast pistol in its stock configuration. You don't need any other parts to make the 17 more reliable. In fact, I would argue, reliability is reduced with every internal part you modify. I guess I don't subscribe to the logic "if it ain't broke just keep fixing it until it is".

Get a good fiber optic front sight, I personally like the new Hi-Viz. Try the Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector and polishing to improve the trigger & over-travel.

Why set up a gun just to shoot ESP? I really believe you would be wasting money on gadgets. If it is legal for SSP, you can shoot the same gun in ESP.

Just my $0.02

9. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Collin,

I would tend to agree with you that for the average IDPA competitor keeping the gun stock is the way to go. I would just recommend that they use a product similar Brian Enos Slide Glide where the trigger bar makes contact with the connector.

Having said that though once you start moving up the food chain especially in ESP then doing part or all of the enhancements that I listed will help a competitor especially when they are going up against 1911's like SV and STI in 9x19.

10. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

I must also agree, I shoot Master with my bone stock G17 - even using the stock factory sights. The farther away you get from stock, the more you decrease the overal reliability of your weapon. This is my opinion, of course - but I've been shooting (competition) for many years.

I find it quite hillarious to watch those malfunctions on the firing line by those who think they knew more than ole' Gaston himself. Not to mention the many immediate action drills performed by those shooting their $2,000 + 1911's. I'll take a bone stock G17 anyday over the former.

Are all of these modifications going to make you faster, more accurate, or what? Just curious. Best of luck and remember, IDPA is all about having fun!

11. joeandblake

joeandblake

These mods will simply make me faster. I am not to oworried about accuracy enhancement.

12. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

Won't practice make you faster? I cannot imagine a scenario where your speed is hindered by your pistol.

13. joeandblake

joeandblake

14. GlockWORX

GlockWORX

that is correct, practice will make you faster and your pistol wont hinder your speed. however, that does not mean that modifying your pistol will not improve speed and/or accuracy. Our trigger kits are designed to shorten the pull and reset point of the trigger as well as lighten the pull. The results are increased accuracy because your hand and fingers are moving less and increased speed because double taps can occur at a much faster and more accurate rate. no offense to Gaston Glock, stock Glocks are great guns! He definately knew what he was doing but he also designed a multi purpose gun for anyone, not a competitive gun for the experienced shooter.

15. M4inCA

M4inCA pho_kit_all

1. Keep the factory rod guide, stainless gains you nothing
    2. Keep the factory rod spring, these are perfect from glock
    3. Glock OEM
    4. Glock OEM
    5. PRACTICE!!! Mag wells are useless if you practice!
    6. PRACTICE!!! Learn where your reset is
    7. Glock OEM

If you move class to ESP, you will be competing with some of the members who shoot CDP and are very good. I recommend staying in SSP using the factory glock parts 3,4 and 7 and practice, practice, practice!!!!

I use a G23 for my matches and I do pretty well. No magwells, no special springs/rods, nothing.

I did the .25 trigger job and really didn't like it. The 3.5lb trigger set is much smoother alone. Keep it lubed (not over lubed) and you will have no problems!

GL! and have fun!!!!

16. joeandblake

joeandblake

I am shooting CDP right now with my Kimber. I got the Glock to move into ESP as a second gun. Thanks!

17. GlockWORX

GlockWORX

if you're wanting to shoot ESP with your glock the best mods to make are a trigger kit (not a $0.25 polish job), a magwell, recoil rod and spring, and a titanium striker. if money is an issue go with the trigger kit, magwell first then add the others.

18. joeandblake

joeandblake

I am pretty sure a tungsten guiderod is a prohibited modification. I believe the rulebook states something like, "No heavier then common steel"

I am going to do the rest as soon as funds become available :)

19. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

1) THE Stainless guiderod available from Custom Glock Racing.
    These are very good and I've never had any issues with them at all.

2)ISMI 13# recoil spring is what I run in my G17.They allow the slide to move faster and create less muzzle flip.

3)Stock OEM is what I use but if I were going "extended" I'd still use the OEM part.

4)Glock OEM if you are going "extended".I run a stock or a chopped down version.

5)Glockmeister seems to make a good ESP legal magwell.
    You'll probably want to add some extended baseplates for your mags.
    CMPI basepads are available at Brownells.com

6)I drill my own and add a set screw or you can buy one commercially available...check with Vanek.

7)Glock OEM.
    I've had bad luck with several aftermarket connectors,although I'd be willing to give the Scherer connector another chance.

8)Maybe order a trigger kit from Vanek.

and yes,Tungsten is prohibited in IDPA.

20. Suburban

Suburban

I've been running a G17 for competition for about a year.

Polishing rough surfaces is kind of a waste of time. Polishing is good, but the trigger bars could use some stoning on the nose that contacts the connector, and the "birds head" that contacts the firing pin safety.

I've tried Lone Wolf and Scherer connectors. Both seem to work the same, and I haven't had any problems with either. I'd rather use the 5.5 with stock springs, but the 3.5 isn't so bad with an extra power trigger return spring and reduced power firing pin spring.

Overtravel stops are easy to do if you have a drill press. 4-40 set screw works well.

Trigger kits are, basically, the mods I described, with a return spring hole drilled higher up on the trigger bar. Vanek kits come with a firing pin safety buttons that are "melted."

The extended mag release and slide release aren't necessary if you practice, but losing by a fraction of a second because you fumbled a bit really stinks.

I went to lighter recoil spring, a Wolff 14 lb., because the brass was hitting me in the head, which is really annoying. The factory plastic guide rod can break, so I run a stainless steel one.

I've got a JP magwell on race gun, and a Seattle slug plug on the IDPA gun. The JP makes the grip feel a little better, but I seem to be a little more consistant with the slug plug. I'm not sure if these pistols with fit in the IDPA box with the extensions, the JP works with stock mags.

YMMV.