Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What is normal for the Spider is chaos to the Fly
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have shot 200 rounds through my G17 Gen5 and it shoots flawlessly. I clean after every trip to the range and notice that when I remove the slide the recoil spring is slightly away from the half circle notch where it is supposed to ride. I will push the spring circle end down into the circle groove and after just a few racks of the slide when I remove it the spring is away again. Is this normal and should I be concerned? Edit* title should have said Barrel Lug Groove.
recoil spring.jpg

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I have shot 200 rounds through my G17 Gen5 and it shoots flawlessly. I clean after every trip to the range and notice that when I remove the slide the recoil spring is slightly away from the half circle notch where it is supposed to ride. I will push the spring circle end down into the circle groove and after just a few racks of the slide when I remove it the spring is away again. Is this normal and should I be concerned.
Absolutely NORMAL.

The heel of the RSA is NOT seated on ANY part of the barrel of an assembled pistol. The RSA heel is on the barrel underlug ONLY when the slide assembly is being placed on or taken off the frame assembly for field strip.

During pistol reassembly following a field strip, as the slide assembly is placed on the frame assembly and retracted, the heel of the RSA comes off its notch on the front of the barrel underlug and settles on the frame's polymer wall in front of the Slide Lock at the rear of the dustcover. There the RSA heel stays until the slide assembly is later removed from the frame assembly.

New owners are sometimes concerned that whenever they remove the slide assembly from the frame assembly, the RSA heel is partially out of its notch on the barrel underlug. That's normal because that's where the RSA heel settles in the barrel underlug notch as the slide assembly is removed. However, it is important that the RSA heel is manually positioned deep in the barrel underlug notch close to the barrel before reassembling the slide assembly to the frame assembly. Otherwise the RSA heel may hang up on one of the two polymer ledges on the inside of the frame dustcover instead of on the polymer wall at the rear of the dustcover.

·
What is normal for the Spider is chaos to the Fly
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike-M and Bradd D, thanks for your responses, I appreciate learning the acronyms and proper terms for each component. I am looking at the exploded parts diagram and I do not see the "dust cover." Can you please explain or point out where this is? I am in love with my G17 and want to be as familiar with it as I can.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Yes, "dustcover" refers to the very front part of the frame that covers the RSA when the pistol is fully assembled. It is not labeled on a parts diagram because it is the front portion of the frame and not some separate individual part.

The term is applicable to many autopistols. But not all...for example, the German P.08 and P.38, the Japanese Type 14, the Swedish M/40, and the Ruger Mark I to IV auto-pistols have no "dustcover".

Reactions: RockingtheGlock

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
for new Glock owners, this part of Mike-M's reply cannot be stressed enough...

However, it is important that the RSA heel is manually positioned deep in the barrel underlug notch close to the barrel before reassembling the slide assembly to the frame assembly. Otherwise the RSA heel may hang up on one of the two polymer ledges on the inside of the frame dustcover instead of on the polymer wall at the rear of the dustcover.

The first time you fail to do this (the bold and underlined part), you will be searching PooTube to find out why the front of the recoil spring assembly is poking out past the barrel after you get the slide on, and why you cannot get the slide off.

·
Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
630 Posts
Mike-M thanks for your good answer. On my G17.4 and my G30.4 when I do a field strip and remove the slide the RSA stays down. But with my G48 the RSA creeps upward when I remove the slide.

I have always wondered if this was a problem with my G48. It’s good to find out that it is OK.

Reactions: RockingtheGlock
1 - 11 of 11 Posts