close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G17 4th gen return spring question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zoti, Mar 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. zoti

zoti

I wanted to know if other 4th gen owners experience the same.

When I install the return spring in the slide I put it on the correct groove in the barrel. The end cap (plastic part) sits flush with the front of the slide.

I then install the slide in the frame and pull is a few times. The end cap now stick a bit out of the front of the slide which I think is the way it should be judging by pictures of other 4th gen 17 I've seen.

Now here's the weird part.

When I remove the slide and check the spring, it does not sit at the groove in the barrel. It's about 1/16 of an inch too short. It just sits there stuck in the front hole of the slide with no tension against the barrel. It takes a couple of wiggled and twists and it will "pop" back all the way and now there is tension on it.

Is this normal or is the spring defective?

The gun came with the brass envelope that was dated 2/10/10 so it's a month old.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The half-moon position is the reassembly position and not the operating position. When you place the slide back on the frame and rack it, the spring pops into it's operating position. Your pistol is normal, as normal as every Glock ever made.

3. JBP55

JBP55

Perfectly normal.

4. zoti

zoti

Ok. That's what I needed to know. It just seems like the spring is "catching" and getting shorter.

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

It sounds as if you are asking a question quite different than the normal question of why the spring isn't in the crescent-shaped notch. For there to be no pressure against the barrel lug, something would seemingly have to be hung up -- rod not fully extending, or the spring extending through the front of the slide. Can you take a picture? As you said, this sounds "weird".

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

You posted while I was answering the first post. This is not right. Can you remove the assembly while in the short condition, and measure it? Then measure after you fiddle with it to fully extend?

7. pangloss9

pangloss9

That happens to my Gen4 G17 also, but sometimes when I disassemble it, the recoil spring and guide rod just fall out.

8. zoti

zoti

I'll take a picture when I get home tonight.

When this happens the spring is shorter then when initially installed and does not touch the groove in the barrel. It is also hard to remove the spring as if it is "caught" in the front of the slide.

The gun seems to function fine.

9. chukb

chukb

good to know. I noticed on my 19 too that it sits higher in the "half moon" when it is disassembled.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Mine gets stuck exactly like the OP is describing. Pushing on the front of the slide where the "end cap" of the guide rod sticks out "unsticks" it every time. Here's the picture from the Gen4 Q&A thread in the Valuable info forum:

[​IMG]

Rod sticking out the front, touching only the slide.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. zoti

zoti

Yep. That's what mine looks like.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I believe it's just an overly tight fit between the "end cap" and the slide, but it's always more compressed than this when the gun is assembled so it doesn't stick like this during normal operation.

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

Just DON'T worry about where the spring is when you take the slide off. If the recoil spring is returning the gun back into battery, it's just fine.

14. JBP55

JBP55

I lube both openings in the slide and lubing the one where the guide rod fits helps with the sticking problem.

15. zoti

zoti

It feels like the spring is catching internally. Not on the slide itself.

I think what happens is the end of the spring that sits under the plastic cap at the front catches inside the hole in the slide. Like the hole is a bit too big.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  16. zoti

zoti

I can now confirm that the problem seems to be the that the spring end (which rests agains the plastic part at the front of the recoil spring assembly) is the culprit. What happens is that after the slide rocks back and forth a few times the spring will get squished andwill actually get part of it stuck in the hole at the front of the slide.

It looks like a simple solution of just adding a washer that is a bit bigger than the hole in the slide between the spring end and the plastic rod front cap.

The gun functions fine as far as I can tell but it's really annoying to try and pull the spring out of the slide when it gets stuck in it.

17. James Dean

James Dean

My spring is a pain in the @@@ to put back in. I have 200 rounds shot and I hope another 200 tomorrow.

18. zoti

zoti

I have found that if I install the tip of the spring facing the barrel the it will not catch as much.

19. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I was worried that might be the case, but as far as I can tell, it isn't. The "end cap" on mine is simply catching on the outside of the hole in the slide when pressure is taken off the rod during field stripping. This pinches the front of the slide between the spring and the "end cap" and holds the rod in that "free floating" position. I will try to include a pic from the front that shows how it's really just a matter of the "end cap" not being centered as tension is taken off the rod.

[​IMG]

Well the hosting of my pics isn't working but long story short the disc at the end of the guide rod is all the way out the front of the slide and unable to be pulled back through by the spring during field stripping simply because it's not centered. Pushing the disc ("end cap") to center it causes it to go back through the hole and all is right with the world. If your spring is actually getting into the hole, or even worse, through the hole, this is bad - very bad.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  20. bentbiker

bentbiker

Any chance you'd consider putting the picture(s) on photobucket? I'm really struggling trying to picture what you are describing re "the 'end cap' not being centered," and how a plastic cap could catch on edge of the hole in the slide. And I agree with you, as I've been saying, if the spring is going through the slide, it could really get nasty with the slide at some point not being held fully in battery because the assembly is no longer pushing against the frame. I hope you are right about what is happening.