G-Shock

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by PinkoCommie, Apr 7, 2010.

1. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

You know all the good things I said about my Casio G-Shock GW-700BDJ. Well, forget that. After a year and a half on my wrist, it went **** up today. Started flashing digits really fast, won't stop. WTF?

Good thing I got it at Costco. Now I have to think of a better option (preferably from Costco :) ). I want something not too expensive, and that does not need to have a new battery every few years. I am OK setting, resetting, changing the date on 30-day months and all that. The battery, however, seems like a pain to me -- gotta take it somewhere, buy a dang battery, and all that. And you never know when it might die, so you'll end up needing to do that when you're busy already. Not a huge deal all by itself, but I have enough stuff in my life that needs refueling, cleaning, wiping, changing, adjusting, updating, repainting, reloading, etc. Suggestions?

2. PinkoCommie

Heh, I did not know that a common four-letter word for bewbies (starts with a t) gets filtered out. What's so wrong with ****? ;) I kinda like them.

3. blueiron

blueiron

How much are you considering on spending?

4. PinkoCommie

This one was $70ish. I could see spending $150ish, but it better be a tough watch. It does not need to be fancy -- date, time and either solar or kinetic charging, or a simple but reliable automatic movement (probably not an option at this price). Easy readability is a must -- it needs to be readable in the dark, the sunlight, whatever.

Am I dreaming here? Is that even possible? I am thinking of just heading over to wally-world and getting a Timex. Even $100 on a work watch seems like much.

5. sargespd

sargespd

Honestly, for the money you are suggesting, I would say just buy the cheapo Timex and replace when needed. My personal preference would be to spend a little more and get a Luminox. I have one I picked up on ebay that has served me well for about 3 years. I stopped wearing it for the last year and a half after receiving a nice Seiko as a gift, and the battery in the Luminox has died. I will get that taken care of soon, the Luminox is a very good watch. Tritium illumination rather than the painted on glow in the dark crap.

6. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

Suunto Vector. Awesome watch that is tough and has an altimeter, compass and barometer that work well. I have had the same one for about 8-9 years. Its been to some very unpleasant environments and saved my sorry A## once. Lots of these around the Special Operations community for good reason.

7. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Just return your G-Shock to Costco and get another one. Take me with you and I'll make a scene if they say no.

Your broken G-Shock is a fluke. I have three of them and all have been bulletproof. My PAW-1500T is badass.

9. Scott3670

Scott3670

Gotta say that I am shocked that a G-Shock crapped out on you. Definitely take it back to Costco for an exchange/refund.

10. Icemanx13

Icemanx13 Señior Member

11. Gangrel

Gangrel

30 dollar timex expedition

12. ugly8604

ugly8604

Ive had a couple g shocks crap out on me. I've been using a seiko for years and its still tickin.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I had my G-shock for 11 years now and it's bulletproof so far. That watch has gone through a lot of hell.

I wear my Omega Constellation for uniform duty now though... no idea why, just do. The Rolex is for business suits.

14. PinkoCommie

Some day, when I win my millions, I want a Speedmaster. The best looking watch ever, and the whole story with Apollo makes it even cooler.

For now... I'll see what Costco has first. I don't think Cochese's drama will be necessary. I've only taken a couple of things back to Costco, but never had any problems returning items. If they don't have anything I like, I might go for a Timex.

I have a Luminox that I found in a hiking trail once. I love the watch (a little scratched up, but not in bad shape by any means). The problem I have is this -- I found it with the little telescoping pin out of its proper place. Must be how the original owner lost it. I then wore it at work a few times, and almost lost it the same way (fighting with a skinny girl who had a LOT of fight in her). My Sergeant found it in the grass and returned it to me. I don't want to lose it again -- I like it for everyday (non-work) wear.

Maybe a zulu strap for the Luminox is the way to go...

15. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Plain Timex with a nylon band has worked for years, cost maybe $25, and who cares if it gets broken in a scuffle, and I think I replaced the battery once.

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

I had a g-shock which I had to stop wearing due to the plastics rotting off after 12 years.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Omega Speedmasters are awesome and beautiful watches, but I have always loved the original blue dial Seamaster.

I also have a soft spot for a classic Rolex Submariner over the other more "fashionable" Rolex watches such as the Air Boss, Daytona, or GMT.

18. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I don't own a watch and haven't for a decade.

That doesn't help you much, I guess. I still manage to make it to work on time, mostly.

19. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

I've got Casio G-Shock that's taken a beating over 7 years or so and keeps on ticking. I would email Casio customer support with nice letter explaining what's happened and butter it up with officer of the law stuff. You may be surprised.

20. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Casio watch. You can get the digital or old school dial face. $10 to $15.00. Battery easily replaceable.