Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the G-shock solar watches and think they would serve me well in an emergency. I like how most go months on a single charge and are water resistant well below depths I could reach without an aqua lung.

How long will the solar panels last in them? 5 or 10 years?

Now comes the fun part in trying to pick out a model. Do any have a compass or thermometer? Maybe another feature that would be useful in an emergency that I'm not thinking of?

·
Banned
121 Posts
The question about solar panel life is interesting. The only ones I've bought have the "Tough Solar" and "Atomic" (auto update) features.

I have several that I like including Pathfinders (a Casio line separate from G-Shock) with compass, barometer, altimeter. The thermometer reading is only relative IME. The compass works pretty well. The barometer has been the most useful for me for fishing and to "predict" weather changes. I don't always make hard, fast decisions where I totally rely on the watch's readings, but I find them quite useful.

My biggest complaint about my Pathfinder is that the compass cannot be read in the dark by using the watch's light.

My favorites are the following:

PAW5000
PAW2000
AWGM_____
and any of the Aviators.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
They are great watches, very good for the money, and very popular.

I recently picked up a Casio Pathfinder for $200 at Costco that is tough solar, thermometer, altitude/barametric pressure, compass, date/day of week, stopwatch, timer, tides, atomic, etc etc.

And it's quite accurate at that. I've taken it to places with a known elevation and it was within 40 feet, sometimes less.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Quit wearing a watch when that (RET) thing showed up.. but these "Pathfinder" series sounds interesting. Might have to get one just to play with/in.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They really do sound interesting! I'll try to find out on my own, but do the Pathfinder watches also have the automatic updates for time and date like the G-Shock ones? Any downsides to them?

·
Banned
12,491 Posts
Don't have one that runs strictly off solar, but has a panel to aid in extending battery life. G shocks are fantastic watches that will take a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm going to spend some time looking at them all, but this one seems interesting. I could probably get a better version though with the money I'd be spending on the titanium.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PAG240T-7CR-Pathfinder-Triple-Sensor-Multi-Function/dp/B003MOIVI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380320584&sr=8-3&keywords=Casio+Pathfinder"]Casio Men's PAG240T-7CR "Pathfinder" Triple-Sensor Multi-Function Titanium Watch: Watches: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51gMNU7sxmL[/ame]

·
Banned
121 Posts
They really do sound interesting! I'll try to find out on my own, but do the Pathfinder watches also have the automatic updates for time and date like the G-Shock ones? Any downsides to them?
Many of them do.

Downsides?

Some might considered them expensive.

Some might consider them too big.

I almost always change to a Maratac band within six months.

Compass cannot be read using the watch's light comment is apparently wrong. I just checked again and see it fine.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Mine does.

That's what we mean when we say atomic. It receives updates from the atomic clock in its region.

Mine was $200 at Costco. It has the atomic updating, tides, moon phase, compass, altitude, baro pressure, thermometer, timer, stopwatch, day of week/date, alarm, tough solar, and probably other things.

Downsides? None I am aware of.

Mine looks a lot like this one:

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
Or you could by an automatic mechanical watch that winds itself and never needs batteries. I have an old seiko automatic diver's watch almost 30 years old and it keeps time with any electronic watch.

Or a Citizen watch with Ecco Drive. A six hour charge in the sun will last for a month. Wear it in daylight or even artificial light and it will run forever as it constantly charges. Not expensive--VERY reliable system that's worked for decades.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Or you could by an automatic mechanical watch that winds itself and never needs batteries. I have an old seiko automatic diver's watch almost 30 years old and it keeps time with any electronic watch.

Or a Citizen watch with Ecco Drive. A six hour charge in the sun will last for a month. Wear it in daylight or even artificial light and it will run forever as it constantly charges. Not expensive--VERY reliable system that's worked for decades.
Explain how a Citizen with "Ecco Drive" is substantially different than a Casio with "tough solar"

(I own both of the above, BTW)

·
NRA Life Member
13,392 Posts
Explain how a Citizen with "Ecco Drive" is substantially different than a Casio with "tough solar"

(I own both of the above, BTW)
Not familiar with tough solar.

I do know that a full charge on my eco-drive will last 180 days. I have a Casio Solar G shock and if you put it in a drawer and take it out 2 weeks later its not running.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a watch guy so I'd like a watch I could wind too if they make them.

I'll have to see if the Costco near me sells them. Saturdays are a zoo there...may wait until Monday.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Worn one for the last 8-9 years and the solar charging is still going strong...
Just bought a similar version in OD green (6900 series) for right around 70 bucks. A little difficult to read at times (my old eyes) but the G-Shock family is more durable than many more expensive watches, The accuracy (on mine) is just about +- 10 seconds a month...I can live with that!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, from what I understand G-shock are good solar watches. If you want extras like barometer, compass, etc go with Pathfinder. That about right?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
So, from what I understand G-shock are good solar watches. If you want extras like barometer, compass, etc go with Pathfinder. That about right?
Sounds about right.

I read into them a bit on forums after a bunch of guys on M4C spoke highly of them.

That sounds accurate and the watches are legit.

I play with mine all the time while flying. It's interesting to watch the altitude/cabin pressurization as you go. And of course just having a compass at all times is nice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just did a search on Casio's site and Kohl's sells them. They are usually more up front, but with sales/coupons/$10 in store vouchers I may be able to get one for a really good price.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was looking at the G-shock solar watches and think they would serve me well in an emergency. I like how most go months on a single charge and are water resistant well below depths I could reach without an aqua lung.

How long will the solar panels last in them? 5 or 10 years?

Now comes the fun part in trying to pick out a model. Do any have a compass or thermometer? Maybe another feature that would be useful in an emergency that I'm not thinking of?
I'm a G-Shock fan and I own several of them.

One of my Tough Solar G-Shocks is nine years old and is still going strong. They do need regular access to bright light, though not every day. Mine sit on a shelf near a south-facing window when I'm not using them, and that's enough to keep them charged.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
...How long will the solar panels last in them? 5 or 10 years?
Panels should be fine. Real issue is likely to be the battery; the panel charges a battery, which runs the watch. And like most rechargeable batteries, there is a given 'life-expectancy' to them. Eventually they just won't take a charge anymore. May be years, but it's going to happen.

Seiko addressed this with their Kinetic line. While not solar, they use their (kinetic, momentum-based) charging system to charge a capacitor rather than a battery. As long as it's not subjected to detrimental environments (too-deep immersion, overheating, etc) or shocks (electrical & physical both), the capacitor should be capable of taking a charge for decades if not generations.

...Now comes the fun part in trying to pick out a model. Do any have a compass or thermometer? Maybe another feature that would be useful in an emergency that I'm not thinking of?
Try checking out the ABC (altitude, barometer, compass) section at watchuseek: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/ .

From timex to casio to suunto to tissot, there are a lot of options and a lot of variables. Word of caution - watchuseek is the glocktalk or arfcom for us watchaholics, and for a non-watchaholic to start researching watches over there may be a lot like trying to get a sip of water from a firehose. :cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts