close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G-mail by google any good vs. yahoo?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Mar 31, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

I'm currently dis-satisfied with hotmail, too much junk mail gets through. I am looking for an alternative free solely web-based e-mail service. I am considering yahoo. I also have received a G-mail invite from a friend.

So is yahoo or g-mail any good and which would you prefer and why?

BTW, in the g-mail invite there was a sentence which really concerned me.

"No large, annoying ads--just small text ads and related pages that are relevant to the content of your messages"

How the hell do they know what the contents of my messages are? Is g-mail reading your e-mail or something?

TED

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

If by "reading" you mean doing an indexing and classification on keywords, I would say yes, they're reading it.

I actually use both Gmail and Yahoo. If I had to choose one as my primary mail account it would probably be gmail simply for it's ability to keep my inbox free of spam so far.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

they don't have the time or resources to sit down and read billions and billions of e-mail messages. your e-mails are parsed through a program which attempts to decide which ads would most closely reflect your intrests based on your e-mail content.

anyone with root access to your mail server may, at his discretion, read your e-mail. even the guys at yahoo can read your email.

if you are worried, encrypt your e-mail.

4. hankhan

hankhan Guest

I like Gmail because I can use them like a POP mail server and suck the mail into outlook. Works very well. Excellent spam filters too.
    I'd worry less about the gmail folks reading my mail than the govt. - and if someone is reading our mail, I wish they'd deal with the spam that makes it thru the machine filters.

5. malkore

malkore

gmail reading your text is no different than when you google something, and all the ads on the results page pertain to your search criteria.

they're only 'reading' to find indexed key words to trigger appropriately targeted ads.

gmail beats yahoo and hotmail, hands down.

6. njl

njl

Interesting Google tidbit: In the lobby of their main office in Mountain View, there's a projection display showing a [I think] real-time sampling of google searches being run.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Since you didn't say anything about google vs. yahoo relative qualities, could you elaborate on why google "beats yahoo hands down"?