Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to make sure that I am reading the rules correctly in that the G-35 is not allowed in adult cvilian class. Is this correct? Why?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Because it is a competition pistol (longer sight radius, lighter trigger, etc.). I assume you mean Amateur Civilian, instead of adult civilian.

Am Civ is one of the classes in which only stock guns are allowed. Go to www.gssfonline.com & click GLOCK Report (The Rules) at the top - & all is explained there.

·
Registered
10,100 Posts
why? cause them's the rules

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Civilian, Guardian, and MasterStock were intended for Police/Military duty or Civilian personal defense-oriented Glocks. Subcompacts, Compacts, and Full size. From 9mm G-26's up to .45 G-21's.

It is kind of apples to oranges to put, say a G-26 up against a G-17. Let alone a G-26 up against a G-34 or G-17L.

So, GSSF compensates for this by offering separate "apples to apples" divisions like Subcompact and Competition where you can compete with less of an equipment disadvantage.

Anyway, with the exception of MajorSub, in ANY division you choose all 1st/2nd/3rd prizes are the same and all prizes after 3rd are awarded at random.

In other words, the prizes in Competition are pretty much the same as those in Civilian. So what difference does it make that you cannot use a G-35 in Civilian?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Norske, about the only difference is he may not have a gun suitable for am/civ. If he only has the 35, that tosses him out of am/civ. That is not the handicap it used to be for prizes but still, it keeps him out of some divisions he may want to shoot.
Of course there are two solutions. Buy more guns or make friends with someone that has a 17 & use his. Win/win deal!
MLM

·
20,407 Posts
Fudd,

Competition is not a category defined by skill, but is a category defined by pistol. Factory stock "C" models and factory stock longslides are grouped together in "Competition" category because they are deemed to provide the shooter an advantage over the standard model Glocks, an advantage due to the porting or longer slides. The same reasoning defines subcompact category, where you cannot use a G17 or G19. Makes sense to me.

·
284 Posts
I bought a 35 last year just to start shooting GSSF. THEN I read the rules really well. So I traded the 35 for a 22, of course I took a hit on that. I shot my first match at Indy last year, then decided I could practice more with a 9mm. So I sold my 22 to a friend and got a 17 and have been happy ever since. Good luck with whatever you shoot.

·
Shellback
5,833 Posts
Also, as i understand it... If you have a Compensated Glock, you can still shoot Am/Civ by replacing the barrel with a stock non-comp barrel. A barrel is cheaper than a new gun.

Unfortunately, there is no way around the G35 though.... BUT, I went another direction and bought a G17c, a non-comp barrel, and then a G34 Slide that, of course, fits on the G17c frame. So for about $800, i essentially have three stock Glocks.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
competition has less shooters, that might improve your odds of winning. as has been pointed out with the prize structure the way it is it really makes no difference which you shoot. now if you were wanting to shoot booth you might have a problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Noponer, I think what Fudd was referring to was the fact that junior shooters can use a long-slide in AmCiv, but not adult shooters.

Overall, I think the divisions are fair, although there is a slight bias towards 9mm (with the exception of MajSub) , but if you shop around you can find soft shooting loads for the other calibers (Cor-Bon has a nice .45 ACP match load and Atlanta Arms has a Minor .40 S&W load).

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Noponer, I think what Fudd was referring to was the fact that junior shooters can use a long-slide in AmCiv, but not adult shooters.
SMLR - I believe you are correct.

I was not aware of the exception for Junior competitors... I guess I can't read very well.!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts