G 29 For Big Hands... SF or Not?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HiccaBurp, Nov 13, 2010.

1. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp CCCC

I'm looking at getting a G 29. Not many stores have them.. especially both to try and compare. I have a gen 4 G 17.. which one is closer to it? SF or standard?

I'm thinking the standard should be fine since I have "paws" as most people describe them!! LOL

2. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

My G29 fits my 'ogre paws' nicely. I never liked the SF version. Get some Pearce grip extension baseplates, and enjoy.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Did you add a grip panel to the G17? Or use it with the extra girth?

4. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo

The model 29 definitely fits larger hands.
    Note that the Gen 4 guns have replaceable backstraps which allow a certain amount of adjustment.
    It is also reasonable that you see if you can find a model 30, standard and SF, as both the 29 and 30 are identical slides and frames. The only real change is the caliber. Then you can order what you want.
    If I'm wrong, someone will be along shortly.
    Have a good day, sir.
    Sonnytoo

5. hungrylikethewolf99

hungrylikethewolf99

I own, carry, and compete with my Glock 30 (same ODs as G29), non-SF. I have medium-small hands. I have a houge rubber grip on it too with the palm swell, making it pretty much the biggest possible grip on a Glock (as far as circumference goes), and it's not problem at all. You'd have to have micro-sized hands to "need" the SF.

Here's the skinny on the SF: It does much less to change the size of the grip compared to how it changes the angle. A Glock SF grip is a sort-of half way point between the Glock grip angle and the 1911/XD grip angle. So, before you buy either, take either one, hold it at a low ready position, close your eyes, and punch the front sight out toward a pre-determined target, then open your eyes and see where the gun's pointing. If on a non-SF the sight is pointing way up, get the SF. If on the SF the sight is pointed down/low, get the full-size grip gun. That'll serve you better than trying to figure out whether your hands will fit it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp CCCC

I've always liked the feel of a larger grip. I'll see how that translates into hungrylikeawolf99s test.

My 17 I've only put a couple hundred rounds thru.. all without any backstrap. I like the way it felt in the palm, but my finger is bent to much and just doesn't "feel right". The next time I get to the range, I'll play with the different backstraps. With the 4mm backstrap, it feels just right. However, I'll probably get a hogue grip for it and see how that goes.

7. Teecher45

Teecher45

If you don't Find both and try them before you buy you will have a 50/50 shot of getting it right. If you have to make a drive it will be worth it to know before you buy. The 29 and 30 have the same size frames so you only need to find one of each. I have medium sized hands and the SF just felt better.

8. TwentyNizzo

TwentyNizzo

Before I bought my 30 SF, I laid both the standard 30 and 30 SF on the counter and went back and forth holding them for a good 10 minutes. I thought the difference between the two was very small and I would have been very happy with either. To tell you the truth I thought the standard 30 felt a little better in my hands (avg. size), but I ended up going with the SF simply because it was the "newer and greater" thing.

9. matt c

matt c

large hands the G30 works perfect for me. Never even held an SF... held the G30 and said...OK I'll take it.