g-22 gen 4 barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jetmech, Apr 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jetmech

jetmech

i would like to chabge out my g-22's stock barrel for a match grade one, who makes the best barrel's?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

The KKM barrel I'm using is fantastic, but I haven't tried others though.

3. blueroot

blueroot

I keep thinking about getting a KKM .357 Sig for my Gen4 22. It seems like the size difference in the recoil spring end cap between the old and new springs would cause using a Gen3 barrel with a Gen4 spring to possibly cause the spring to rub a small touch on the frame during use. Maybe not. I haven't tried it. Do you see any signs of wear on the inside of the frame that might be caused by the recoil spring hitting/sliding against the frame?

4. SCC

SCC just me

THAT WILL NOT WORK !!!! The spot in the frame is bigger for the new springs that the 4th gen have in them

5. KK40384

KK40384

Last I checked the Gen3 and Gen4 barrels are NOT interchangeable. As far as I know there's no aftermarket barrels for the Gen4 yet.

6. blueroot

blueroot

Sorry. I think you misunderstood my question. I know a Gen3 recoil spring won't work in a Gen4 slide. However Rusty does use a Gen3 KKM barrel in his Gen4 G22. My question was whether the slight difference in spring end cap diameter causes the spring alignment to be such that it moves into a place that causes undue rubbing of the frame.

Edit: By end cap, I am talking about the one resting on the barrel, not the one placed into the hole in the slide.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. blueroot

blueroot

Rusty is using a KKM .357 Sig barrel (the same they produce for Gen3 Glocks) in his Gen4 G22. I believe it seems to work fine with no malfunctions for him. I'm just wondering about the slight change in recoil spring angle, if there is one.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. BrianNH

BrianNH

I like the KKM barrels and have been using them for a while. I like them better than the Jarvis and barsto. A lower cost alternative but still a great value for the money would be a LWD barrel.

Rusty is ok using the Gen 3 barrel in his Gen 4 gun. It will work fine as he has shown.

The half moon notch on the barrel is different on the Gen 4 to accomodate the different spring. This is used for assembly purposes and once assembled, the back of the recoil spring is held in place and rests against the slide lock.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

What Brian said (thank you!)

No difference once the gun is assembled that would cause any unusual wear or any other side effects.

10. Fasttoys

Fasttoys

What about a complete gen3 slide would it work on a gen4 lower with no problem

11. blueroot

blueroot

Thanks Brian and Rusty. I'll have to order one up for my Gen4.

12. James Dean

James Dean

I don't think it would work. A gen 4 is a bit wider on the frame up front on the Gen4.

13. JBP55

JBP55

I tried three different G3 slides G17/G22/G35 on my G4 G17 and they all worked with zero problems. I am approaching 5,000 flawless rounds fired through my G4 G17.

14. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Did you have to do anything to compensate for the smaller diameter recoil assembly or is it not really an issue?

15. JBP55

JBP55

I need to clarify, I used the completely assembled G4 receiver with the completely assembled slide/barrel/recoil assembly of the G3 models.

16. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

No need to clarify, I knew what you meant and that's why I ask.

The gen3 recoil assembly is a really sloppy fit in the Gen4 frame so I was asking if you had done any modification to compensate for it. It sounds like you haven't but it's worked fine all the same.

I know you're familiar with it but for those that are wondering here's a pic showing from left to right:

Gen4 frame/recoil assembly - tight fit

Gen3 frame/recoil assembly -tight fit

Gen4 frame + gen3 recoil assembly - very loose

Gen3 frame + gen4 recoil assembly - does not fit

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010