close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G 17 to LWD M/17 Ported ????

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joerockhead, Nov 19, 2010.

1. joerockhead

joerockhead

I have a Gen 3 ... G 17..
    My youngest son wants to move up from shooting .22 to 9mm.
    Would putting a ported barrel on the G 17 be a good Idea for a young shooter ??

Will the LWD M/17 Extended 2 Port barrel be the correct application ?
    Will I need to do any other modifications to the G 17 ( Is it truly drop-in) ?

If the LWD Extended 2 Port barrel projects from the STANDARD G 17 slide .. Then I should be able to use the stock slide .... correct ?? Or do I need to install a ported slide ???

Thank You

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

The ported barrel will help with muzzle rise but the recoil will stay about the same.
    The LWD extended 2 port barrel will fit any Glock slide. Yes the 2 ports are outside the slide.
    No modifications required, our barrels are drop in.

You may have a couple problems with him shooting a 9mm: He may experience a FTE using 115 gr ammo because it is low powered, if so, step up to 124 or 147. He may experience a FTE from limp wristing the gun. He is going to have to practice a lot. He may do better with a comp http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Search.aspx?TERM=lwd-comp but they seem a lot louder and he will experience more concussion

My advice is to take him to a range and let him try the stock barrel before plunking the money down on a ported... Unless you wanted one anyway

3. joerockhead

joerockhead

Thanks for the advice.....