close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FYI: .jpg's and a caution: new virus currently a 'non-issue', but.......

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by MB-G26, Jun 14, 2002.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/25718.html
    I suspect it won't be terribly long before this escalates into a bona fide problem. Just fyi re the near future.
    m
    For more specific details & analysis, see 1st post Here

2. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey

3. Pseudochron

Pseudochron Computer Nerd

There is no danger. The new "virus" was a proof of concept that something could modify a .jpg file, and still have it display properly. The program does not have any side-effects, and would cause no harm to your system if it were on it, and further more it is not in circulation. Please feel free to completely ignore any media hype about it.

Samples of the new "virus", and I use the term quite losely, were sent to the major virus scanner software labs by the author of the "virus" to give them a heads up, and they have modified their software to deal with it accordingly.

If you don't want viruses, don't be stupid by running attachments on your email that you are not expecting ahead of time.

4. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

I never run executables or attachments of any kind. In addition to a well configured FW and an AT which updates almost daily if not more often, I do not use an 'integrated' email program, limited email DLs to 50k (those larger are held at ISP server level), pre-monitor incoming email via MailWasher and delete infected emails at the server level therewith, have installed ScriptTrap, ScriptDefender, SockLock, ZeroClick, HTAStop, VirusTrap, have either uninstalled or renamed/crippled VBS and WSH, do not allow ActiveXploit in any IE zone, allow script/java ONLY on specific sites listed in "trusted" Zone, have Internet Zone set to all options disabled, have disabled appropriate entries in InternetTools/Advanced, and run IDecide in full "High Privacy" on all but a very few sites, run Spyblocker, and AV runs full HD scheduled check each early morning, and frequently scan system with AdAwarePlus.

Should I receive an attachment I want to check out further, I use the ISP's web email access and open them there, on the server, rather than 'save to disk'.

99.9% of the infected emails I have received have been the Klez type (typically in the 100kb size range). I received only one infected attachment, more than 1-2 yrs. ago, and it was caught by either the the defensive anti-script programs or the email monitor aspect of the AV.

As far as your advice, wouldn't it be nice if staying uninfected was that simple.
    m