·
YouTube SurgeonWithAGun
123 Posts
Alas I live in California...no extended mags for me. :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
(2x) 7-rd and (2x) 9-rd arrived today.

First impressions: the mag bodies seem like they are not quite long enough for their capacities. Loading the mags was difficult (the rounds did not slide into the feed lips as smoothly as factory mags), but the real problem was, stick a fully loaded mag in the gun, and the slide is VERY HARD to rack. 3 of the mags were around the same difficulty, but one was really stuck. Once I finally jammed the slide back, the nose of the top round in the mag was actually deformed from dragging on the slide! There is clearly not enough space in the magazines for the top round to compress when inserted in the gun. Hopefully the springs will break in a little after a few range trips, but so far I'm quite disappointed in these mags.
I'll stick with the mag extensions. Thank you

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
The 15 percent discount deal ended May 31.

·
Registered
239 Posts
(2x) 7-rd and (2x) 9-rd arrived today.

First impressions: the mag bodies seem like they are not quite long enough for their capacities. Loading the mags was difficult (the rounds did not slide into the feed lips as smoothly as factory mags), but the real problem was, stick a fully loaded mag in the gun, and the slide is VERY HARD to rack. 3 of the mags were around the same difficulty, but one was really stuck. Once I finally jammed the slide back, the nose of the top round in the mag was actually deformed from dragging on the slide! There is clearly not enough space in the magazines for the top round to compress when inserted in the gun. Hopefully the springs will break in a little after a few range trips, but so far I'm quite disappointed in these mags.
This doesn't surprise me in the least, given that those mags were originally advertised as 6 and 8 round capacity mags when first announced. I'm guessing just before release someone at ETS figured they could literally stuff an extra round in and changed the listed capacities without proper testing. I'll be buying a couple of the extended mags but will be treating the "9 round" magazines as 8 round magazines.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Here's some pics. First, the factory 6-rd for comparison:

ETS flush 7-rd. You can see the gap between the frame and mag base is a little more than factory mag. Also, not crazy about the way the ETS baseplates flare out, making them wider than factory:

ETS 9-rd. Since this is an extended mag, you'd think they build in that little bit of extra room to compress the top round when inserted, but both of the 9-rd mags I received were very hard to rack the slide on a full mag:

ETS flush 7-rd with a shaved down factory 'pinky baseplate'. You can see a large gap here between the frame and baseplate. This mag is the easiest to rack the slide, but still drags noticably:

A shaved down Pearce +1 on factory mag for comparison:

Best I could do with my cell phone camera of the top round of the stiffest mag:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man, mine have not come yet and I ordered as soon as I got the email.

Not terribly surprised about the final round. A few of the other ETS mags I have were like that when new but loosened with time.

I do like that you can use standard baseplates with them. More options.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine finally came in. 1-7 round and a 1-12 round each for the 42 and 43. Like was posted earlier, they were tight on the last round. The 12 round 9mm being the most tight. However they were not as tight as yours appeared to be.

I was able to fully load and insert the mags in the guns with no issues. I did not have any deformation of the bullet, etc. I was able to hand cycle with no more effort than normal. Maybe an issue with the 9 round mags, but I didn't have any issue with the 7-42 or 12-42/43.

Have not shot them yet, hopefully sometime this week, or next weekend at the latest.

Added pic of the 43 with the 12 rounder.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good news but, waiting to see how well they function. All extended mags I have tried have not performed well.
With the exception of factory Glock mag. I have two 33 round Glock mags that I use in my Keltec Sub 2000 and they have worked very good. I usually load only 30 rounds to a mag.
Slow fire or rapid fire, the Glock mags work good.
Hope the ETS mags prove to be reliable.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I ordered 2 of the G42 12 round mags from Aimsurplus tonight. Glad I waited for someone else to have them in stock. I paid $16.95 per mag with free shipping.I'll run some rounds through them and report back.These will strictly be range mags even if 100% reliable. It will be nice to shoot the little withot reloading so often.

·
GAP'r
940 Posts
I have a 7rd and a 12rd for the G42 coming from AIM as well. Lower price and free shipping. Mine will be range mags as well but if the 12rd proves to be completely reliable, it may find itself being carried as my back up mag.

·
Registered
474 Posts
When new my G19 ETS mags were so tight I could only load 9 rounds (10 round mags, California). They are still pretty tight but they have been flawless otherwise. My 42 7 round magazine shot fine today. Hard to load the 7th round but it cycled without a problem.

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is a photo of the ETS 7 round magazine for a 42. The gap is similar to the gap in a 43 as shown above. The play between the mag and grip is about the same.

The magazine took extraordinary effort to load the 7th round. Once loaded, the pistol racked a round with about the same amount of effort as I use with a Glock magazine.

I experienced two FTFs with my 7 round ETS magazine. Not too worried about it as I think it is due to it being new. I will go to the range again today and put 100 rounds through the magazine and see if it still has FTFs.

UPDATE:
I have gone to the range twice since I had the FTFs. No problems at all with the ETS magazines. Their springs are still very stiff but no malfunctions. The 9 round G43 magazine is too long to carry but makes a great backup.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well I ordered a couple of 12 round 42 and 43 mags thanks to this thread. I have other ETS mags in 9mm and 40/357 that has been flawless so far. Have been anxious to get the 42 and 43 mags and they finally came yesterday.

Just put 96 rounds thru one of the 12 rd 42 mags. Functioned 100%. Yeah a little tight loading but not bad. Shot 8 mags loaded to 12 rd each at 11yds. 2 mags shot slow fire and 6 mags did mag dump. Not a single issue of any kind.

I really need to go mow the yard, but think I will go back and get the 43, a 12 rounder and 100 rounds.

20170606_125921.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just ran 100 rounds thru the 43 and 12 rd ETS. 100% again. Only thing i noticed was the mag was a little harder to seat in the 43 vs the 42, but with a good slap to seat it, it was fine.

Ran 4 mags of 12 and 4 mags of 12+1 at 10yrds. 2 mags slow fire then 6 mags dumping the mag at 10yds.

Still need to run some hollow points thru both the 42 and 43 12 round mags but thinking they may make great backup mags. Will continue to watch to see others experiences with the ETS mags.

Gotta go mow now :chatter: :eek:uttahere:

20170606_140003.jpg

·
GAP'r
940 Posts
My 12 round G42 magazine came with the spring so wonky inside it would not load more than 8 rounds. I pulled the baseplate and tried to straighten it out. I have it loaded with 12 rounds now and I'm going to let it sit loaded for a while before testing it at the range.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I ordered a 12 round ETS for the 43 yesterday, mostly "just because"
I'll post a range report

·
These are Great Times for Gun Owners!
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
ETS has 15% off sitewide for Father's Day. Use the code "ETSLUVDAD", offer ends 6/12/17

·
Registered
742 Posts
Rather than track their silly cupons that expire all the time, I went and ordered from Midway together with some other stuffs. The savings on shipping offset their 15% easily.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,448 Posts
I'm tempted to pick up a few but I like to train with what I carry and even for range use only, it might mess with my routine. I'm still on the fence with these.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts