close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fwd, rwd, awd....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ender, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

*sigh*

Being in Michigan, I love my FWD cars for snow driving. But only REALLLLLY need them a few days a year. Usually on those days I wish I had a 4WD car.

I've been thinking of upgrading cars, and there are a few that I like the looks of...some of which, like the Ford Mustang, are RWD. I just dunno if it is worth it, but then again...most of the time, I don't need it.

I dunno if they have AWD (or if that REALLY helps anyways).

Anybody drive one year round in the northern states???

2. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

Mustangs are only available in RWD configuration. I hope that answers your question there, if that's what you were asking. You may be able to get around in one if you were to get a good set of winter tires, but I suspect ground clearance would still be an issue.

Oh and AWD definitely helps in snow, especially when coupled with a good set of all-season or snow tires.

3. Janno05

Janno05

I don't live in a northern state, but I had a Subaru Impreza for a couple of years (just got rid of it for a Tacoma) and I really loved that car. They handle extremely well during the summer and are freaking snowmobiles in the winter. Christmas day this year we got around 6 inches of snow with drifts up to 4 feet and I never got stuck (I didn't try driving through the snow drifts). I highly recommend them.

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Cars don't belong in deep snow. Lots of idiots this year in the Dc area found out that low cars don't go well in deep snow. I can also attest that a Buick Grand National rear wheel drive with limited slip will go through ten inches of snow. But it was spinning in the deep stuff. Four wheel drive does help and I now have two of them and a front wheel drive too. I hate not being able to get out. Keep a fwd and get the Mustang if you want one. Enjoy life.:cool:

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm driving the RWD vehicle here.
    I'm using decent winter tires (nothing special BTW).
    I had two problems this winter.
    Icy street on the up hill side (it was difficult to drive all the way up, but than again, not only for me) and I get stuck once when the ice started to melt down (my fault - parked in the wrong spot and the tires were half way under the water).
    Otherwise all good.
    I saw many trucks (4x4) in the ditch though...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter

We don't get much snow in my area. I saw a honda with tire chains on the rear wheels. I knew something looked wrong, but for a second I didn't know what it was.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

Rwd works well if you throw some weight in the back and don't drive like a moron.

8. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I don't have experience with the Mustang but I do have experience driving in snow. IMO any sports-type car (Mustang, Camaro, etc.) doesn't go worth squat in snow or ice. They are too heavy. The tires are too wide and aren't designed for snow. The rear wheel drive means there is very little weight on the drive wheels to help you get traction. One of my friends in high school had a beautiful Camaro that he had to sell because every time it snowed he got stranded. If you gotta go in snow and want a car go with Subaru. If the snow isn't over the bumpers they will go. They are unbelievable in bad weather. Of course all this depends on your driving skills-if you have no skills you can have a tank and it won't matter.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Cars have had RWD for centuries with few-to-no problems. Most full-size trucks are RWD. I've put my truck into 4wd 3 times in 3 years. And the first time, I didn't know better and really didn't need it. The other 2 were this winter going up the icy road from my FIL's house. Only b/c I had to stop 1/2 up the hill at his driveway.

10. JMS

JMS 02

Most of the larger trucks, including my Sequoia are 4x4's, during year around driving I have it in 4x2 mode and power goes the the rear wheels. When the snow comes, I change it to 4x4 High and drive around like normal.

My wifes Highlander is AWD, power is primarily FWD but it adjusts power to the rear wheels depending on road conditions. The transition between FWD/AWD is unnoticeable from a drivers perspective.

Personally, if I was looking for an AWD car I would stick to Subaru. They have the technology down to a science to the point that Toyota is trading Hybrid technology with them in exchange for AWD technology.

As others have stated there's still limitations based on ground clearance. Dependent on the amount of snow we alternate between the two. Mine has 11 inches of ground clearance, hers 8 inches of ground clearance.

If you pick up a truck though, ground clearance can be adjusted much easier than on an AWD 'truck' or AWD car, see below :supergrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    AWD works well in snow, even more so if you have decent all season tires.
    Honda, Suburu, and Toyota :scared: all make fine AWD models.

A 'stang makes a poor winter car. I'd either forgo it, or make sure I could park it during the winter and drive something else.

Just my 2 cents, which in today's economy, is worth even less.

12. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

The years following college, I had only one car, and they were all RWD (Mustang GT, Nismo 300Z and BMW 3 series). We had our share of snow in OH and MD, but probably not like MI. I thought it was fine. If I had to do it over, I'd have what I want (same cars) but just buy a beater Civic or 4x4 or something like that.

13. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I had a '92 Eclipse AWD turbo and it was very reassuring in the snow and rain. The car handled in the rain pretty much the same as when it was dry which was very nice for turning onto busy roads. AWD was very handy when I lived in Washington state and Kansas. With AWD, snow is something you look forward to :supergrin:

Now that I've been living in the south I bought a 350Z. If I lived up north I'd seriously consider getting an AWD again.

14. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

I'm in Michigan also. For the last 2 years I've been driving a 2008 Dodge Charger, which is RWD. It has traction control, and in goes through the snow with zero problems. Even around corners the traction control won't let the car fish tail much at all.

I don't miss FDW cars at all.

I'll be getting another Charger in the next week or so.

DW

15. geez1234

geez1234

I used to drive a VW Gti (fwd car) year round, with snow tires in winter. I never had any big issues with it. This year I moved on to a VW R32 (AWD) and stuck snow tires on for winter. It felt like a huge difference... It's pretty much made me swear off FWD for the near future. Helpful in the snow/rain and much more fun :whistling:.

16. glocknineteen

glocknineteen

Gen IV or V R? What color? These are important details you left out! :supergrin:

17. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

All that's needed for a rear wheel drive vehicle to do well in the snow are:

1 - weight in the trunk/back (Bags of sand from the local lumber yard or hardware store will do the trick, and the sand is also good for spreading on the ice or hard packed snow for traction if you get stuck.)

2 - snow tires, preferably narrow ones (I don't know if narrower wheels are available for performance cars like the Mustang but if so a set for the back would be well worth the price. Wide tires tend to float on the snow rather than digging in so regarless of the tread pattern they don't give you maximum performance in the snow. Wide snow tires however are going to be better than no snow tires.)

3 - a driver who knows how to drive in the snow (Easy on the gas, start off in second gear, maintain a constant application of the accelerator pedal.)

PS - Crushed up clay targets are an excellent thing to spread in front of spinning wheels when a car is stuck.

PS2 - One of the weaknesses with front wheel drive is that when going uphill the weight of the car is coming off of the drive wheels. With a rear wheel drive it goes onto the drive wheels.

18. DSMonsta

DSMonsta Linux Pimp

After having owned every configuration (WWD, RWD, AWD and 4x4) I'm convinced it's best to have a RWD car that you'll enjoy driving and a 4x4 for bad weather. This need not break the bank as both of mine are cheap.

19. cooden

cooden

I live in Rochester, NY (Lake Ontario) and we get our share of snowstorms here. Actually been pretty light on snowstorms the last few years (only get 1 or 2 big ones lately). I just bought my fiancee a '08 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD. Great little SUV. Has 400hp so it moves, has AWD and Stabilitrak as well. Handles awesome in the snow (and thats even with the 20" wheels that come stock on it). Check those out, they will keep up with a Mustang, have room to put stuff in and handle the snow great. Plus, they are one of the few american cars that will hold their value when you sell them. They were pretty limited, you don't see a lot around. Plus, try to find one loaded up. I have my dealers license, so I have an advantage over most people, but I got a '08 with only 16K on it, no accidents or paintwork, showroom condition plus fully loaded with every option (sunroof, navigation, DVD in the headrests and heated leather, etc) for a great deal.

20. drew4691

drew4691

i have an 06 honda crv with the "real time" AWD, it does decent in the snow. The AWD kicks in when it senses that not all tires have traction, and there's no button to manually put all 4 tires in 4wd, so that kinda stinks. And its pretty light for an SUV, so driving, there were times i still slid in the snow.

But for winter i have my 01 Dode Ram 1500 4x4 with off road package :D At 6600 lbs and all 4 tires spinning, nothing stopped me this winter! plus i helped a couple people pull their cars out of the snow too ;)