Fvr

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Allegra

Allegra

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquire...0101109-302221/Missing-Ramos-style-governance

No Free Lunch
    Missing Ramos-style governance

By Cielito Habito
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 04:29:00 11/09/2010

WITH THE missteps being made by the Aquino administration, which has admittedly faced daunting expectations from Day One, I often look back to the 1990s with fond nostalgia. For most of us, it was a time when things seemed to be consistently looking up, whether in the economy, social and human welfare, or governance. As one of the country’s economic managers then, I was witness to how we drew standing-room-only audiences wherever we held investment briefings abroad. Our foreign hosts would tell us of how before our time, they would book the smallest rooms in the venues for such forums to avoid the embarrassment of half-empty audiences. But we were told that they were now booking the largest rooms available and still running out of seats. Interest and confidence in the Philippines were clearly running high. The way our stock market zoomed to record highs, and even became the best-performing stock market in the world at one point, was but one tangible manifestation of this.

As head of the National Economic and Development Authority then, I recall how we at NEDA often felt affirmed every time we exceeded our economic growth targets—and it was not because the targets were too modest. We in fact constantly debated those growth targets with the visiting team from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), who were often in town breathing down our necks because we owed them money big time. Almost always, they would insist that our growth targets were much too ambitious—and thus held the Bangko Sentral to what the latter felt to be overly rigid limits on money supply growth. And so we at NEDA were often delighted to be able to get back at them later and say, “See, we told you so!”

If the economy was flying high then, it was largely because government was working well. Morale was high, whether in the Cabinet or in the rank and file. Teamwork and positive chemistry were quite palpable within the Ramos Cabinet, and our team captain exercised effective leadership by bringing out the best in his team. He had set the tone for such teamwork at the very outset: In the very first Cabinet meeting right after his oath-taking at Rizal Park, he gave us a “sermon” where he made clear in no uncertain terms that he expected “UST” from us—that is, unity, solidarity and teamwork. There were to be no public debates or disagreements among Cabinet members, especially through the media. Decisions were to be made by consensus, and debates were to be kept behind closed doors; should some of us disagree with the consensus or majority outcome, he/she was expected to shut up, or if this was untenable, resign. No policy decisions or appointments came out of a “midnight Cabinet”—there was none. All endorsements for presidential action were to be subject to “CSW” (complete staff work), with all implications properly analyzed, proper consultations undertaken and all necessary inter-agency coordination done, to be evidenced by transmittals signed and endorsed by all Cabinet members concerned.

To President Ramos, inter-agency coordination was a religion. He formed countless coordinative bodies to ensure collegial decision-making on key policy concerns and issues. As such, many of us in his Cabinet lamented (but did not complain) that practically all of our regular office hours (and often beyond) were spent attending various meetings, especially of inter-agency coordinative bodies like Cabinet clusters, NEDA Board committees, and countless councils, commissions and task forces. At one point, I asked my staff at NEDA to count exactly how many such bodies NEDA belonged to, and was told there were 443—about half of which NEDA chaired, being a so-called “oversight agency.” But then and now, I have on balance seen it all as a good thing, as I feel that never before—and after—had there been as effective teamwork and coordination in the government as in the Ramos era. Yes, we had a lot of meetings, but these were crucial to achieving the “UST” that Ramos preached.

It didn’t matter, by the way, that many of us whom he appointed to his Cabinet were unknown to him prior to his election to the presidency. It didn’t even seem to matter if we had even voted for him at all (I was never asked). And unlike his successors, he never withheld the pork barrel from any legislator, or the internal revenue allotment (IRA) from a governor or mayor because they happened to be in the political opposition. Ramos, it seems, didn’t really care. What he did care about was that his Cabinet and other officials could deliver on his tough demands. And it was hard not to as he led by example, keeping at least 16-hour working days, seven days a week. Most of us experienced receiving phone calls from him as early as 5 a.m., by which time he was already on top of the day’s news. I recall frantically scanning the front pages of the major dailies before taking an early morning call from him whenever they came, to make sure I knew what I might have to answer to.

With the tough schedule he kept, there was one little concession I did seek, and got, from this 7-days-a-week President: When I had to be with him on a trip on a Sunday, I was permitted to bring my family along. Being his youngest Cabinet member then, with five young growing children who saw their father more on television than in the flesh, I had to insist that Sunday was my day for the family—and to his credit, President Ramos respected that.

How I miss him. He could teach the incumbent President a thing or two.

2. atmarcella

atmarcella

west point eh....

3. hybrid4age

hybrid4age

Can a previous Pres. run for office again?

4. isuzu

isuzu

Under the current law, no.

5. Wp.22

Wp.22

if Habito misses ramos go check Laos and other asian countries he has investments there according to my bubwit

6. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Erap already set a precedent and nobody contested it. Not even the comelec or the Supreme Court.

7. Allegra

Allegra

I think he may be too old :) FVR I mean
    I fully support Pnoy of course
    Kinakabahan lang ako sa kanya hehe

8. hybrid4age

hybrid4age

Maybe one reason why they invested in other country...Kasi mataas ang risk factor sa pinas, based on our current situation?

I remember during FVR time...the Phils. was one of the emerging market is S.E.A. Then Erap came...all hell broke loose.

9. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

AFAIK he is still the only West Point exchange graduate to ever become an elected president of a foreign nation.

I remember that one of his first order of business was to grant amnesty to the coup plotters.

Galeng.

10. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG Sr. Member

GMA was 2x president.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  11. hybrid4age

hybrid4age

GMA's 1st term was thru succession...legally she is eligible to run for Office, in which she was elected on her 2nd term.

12. Allegra

Allegra

Yeah, the early 90's
    I voted for miriam pero FVR really surprised me
    CALABARZON was booming
    Boomtown ang areas south of manila
    Lots of manufacturers setting up shop, bagong grads flocking to companies
    Land went from 12p to 40 pesos to 400pesos per sqmeter overnight

To be fair, the economy slowed down even before erap because of the Asian crisis nung late 90s

13. atmarcella

atmarcella

yeah...but erap further aggravated it, what with all his drinking and all tsktsktsk.

14. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

While this guy can hardly be called "elected", Anastasio Somoza of Nicaragua was also a West Point grad, incidentally the classmate of Gen. Patton's son.

I could remember the early nineties power crisis with the raucous chorus of generators in Cubao, FVR fixed it.

15. Allegra

Allegra

parang delikado to a hehe
    we're all longing for the FVR days
    Does this mean we're not satisfied kay noynoy??

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

problem i see now with the incumbents, parang sobrang daming advisers and spokesperson feeding noynoy

mukhang mas importante muna how to get laid than to lay out the path to his promise na daang matuwid

17. darth board

darth board steel killer

buhay na buhay ang shooting sports kay fvr. remember fvr cup? yung first sa clark yung second sa loob mismo ng malacanang astig hundreds of shooters inside malacanang lahat naka rig. ngayon parang walang pakialam si pnoy.

18. atmarcella

atmarcella

ako im very disappointed ke noy... i expected more... especially dun sa nangyari sa quirino grandstand.

19. Allegra

Allegra

teka, mas impoertante naman talaga to get laid , saka na yang path at fromise na yan hahaha
    Ika nga, when the sun is shining....

20. Wp.22

Wp.22

noy = palusot ( rico puno, mai mislang)